22 replies to this topic

#16 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:30 AM

I grabbed this from the Splenda website.

SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener (sucralose) is made by a patented multi-step process that starts with cane sugar. Three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar (sucrose) molecule are replaced by 3 tightly (covalently) bound chlorine atoms (Figure 1). The resulting sweetener, sucralose, is approximately 600 times sweeter than sugar and exceptionally stable. Sucralose is not broken down, so it has no calories, and the body does not recognize it as a carbohydrate. Studies show that sucralose has no effect on HbA1C, blood glucose or serum insulin levels. Additionally, sucralose will not interfere with glucose or HbA1C assays, so patients can monitor as usual.

I know exactly what Tarnelberry says, though, about tasting the difference. I can taste the difference, but it still tastes sweet to me. I have found that anything with splenda that has something dairy plopped on it (especially something like Reddi Wip :D ) the "taste" almost disappears. I far prefer it to any of the other sweeteners out there (in fact, the rest just taste nasty to me.) But, I've a friend who cannot taste any "sweet" from any artificial sweetener. They ALL taste bitter to him. I've even tried hiding (mixing splenda with sugar for instance) in recipes, but the bitter taste is overpowering to him. He also needs more regular sugar in recipes to be able to taste sweet, oddly enough.

Oh, but fudgecicles are the one thing even my friend can eat that have splenda in them and not have a problem.

All in all, I've been using splenda for a while now and actually like it. I use it in iced tea all the time and in some baked goods (just for me though.)

I hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:53 AM

oops, sorry about the mistaken chemistry there... I remember _something_ being a mirror image of the molecule they were trying to replaces, but apparently had forgotten that Splenda was the one with the replacement chlorines. ;-) (this is what you get for being a physical sciences junkie... lots of useless information that gets jumbled in your head! ;-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#18 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:30 PM

Hmmm.....sooo.....is Splenda bad for you?? Kind of sounds like it's not that great of a thing to put in your system.
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

#19 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:08 AM

Actually, splenda is about as innocuous as an artificial sweetener can get and it tastes much better, imo, than the others. It has been thoroughly tested and again, imo, is okay to use. I do and will continue to do so. It's a personal choice.

#20 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it's bad for you, more that I'm looney about artificial ingredients. ;-) As artificial sweeteners go, yeah, it probably is the most inoccuous. I wouldn't eat pounds of it a day - your digestive system won't like you :-) - but regular use won't be a problem for most people. (I'm sure there's someone out there who doesn't react well to Splenda, but it's definitely rare.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#21 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:28 PM

So, if I wanted to make brownies with Splenda instead of sugar, would I use the same amount?
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

#22 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

If you buy the bulk type (not the kind in little packets) then, yes, it's cup for cup. I find, however, if you use half sugar and half splenda, the artificial taste is nearly undetectable.

#23 glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:55 PM

Okay, now I have not read EVERY post in this topic, so this may be repeated later on, but, my wife is a type 1 diabetic, so I have some exerience in this subject.

My wife is on Metaglip 2x daily plus insulin as needed. My wife is also disabled, and exercises often. She has to use a pool to exercise because of some injuries she sustained, but, exercise is a terrific way to keep your blood sugar under control.

Another thing to avoid is low fat foods, salad dressing being a BIG offender. You would think that Low Fat, Fat Free, or whatever they call it would be really good, but, if you check the label, they use SUGAR to replace the lost "taste" that making it fat free removes.

Nutra-Sweet, the BLUE packet, and 99% of diet drinks contain this agent. Nutra-Sweet is a migraine headache trigger. I had to stop using diet drinks and the blue stuff for that very reason. I was having 2 to 3 BAD migraine headaches every week. I only stated on the diet drink kick because it was stupid to me to buy 2 different cases/6-packs etc. of soda all the time.

I am not trying to discourage you by any means, but, just keep this information in mind when you go sugar free.

Best of luck to you. Hope you find health! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: