This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Medication... How Do You Know?

jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I understand that some medications are gluten free and some are not.

And, one medication made by one drug company can be gluten-free - while the same medication made by another is not. So, how does one know where to go for the one that IS gluten-free??

I fully admit total ignorance here... my 2 older children both came down with strep. Both had positive strep tests, both put on antibiotics. (However, the symptoms started more than a week apart)

The pediatrician prescribed Amoxicillan - I filled the RX and gave her the medication. She got better instantly. Within 24 hours, she was back to her normal self. So, I thought nothing of it. She started having tummy aches a couple of days ago. Today... her stomach hurts so badly that she's physically unable to move and she is complaining of leg pain, and is severely fatigued. It's 9:17 AM - and she's sound asleep.

OBVIOUSLY I should have done my homework on this one FIRST. I realize I made a GIGANTIC mistake here. But, how in the world would I have know where to go for a "safe" version of Amox???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

I'm sorry to hear your little one is not feeling well :(

In terms of meds, each time I fill a prescription, I ask the pharmacist if it is gluten free----they know that I am a Celiac. Some pharmacies are more familiar with it and have other patients, and keep updated files. Others, or if they are unsure, call the company and find out. I don't pick up the prescription until I know it is gluten-free.

Best of luck!

jerseyangel Proficient

You can ask your pharmacist to check it for you--some will and some will look at you with a deer in a headlight look. :(

I just ask who the manufacturer of the drug is, and I call them directly. I have never had a problem doing that. I get connected to a nurse, or a pharmacist who then can tell me if there is any gluten in the med.

Recently, though, my husband had a Rx filled for me right after I came home from the hospital. We had asked the doctor to put "gluten-free" on the Rx, which he did. (at that particular time, I didn't feel up to calling) That was the one time the pharmacist did call the manufacturer. So, it maight be a good idea for the next time to ask the doctor to mark it on the Rx.

As for where to go to find a safe med. I don't know because the doctor writes the Rx and it gets filled with either a name brand, or a generic that the drugstore stocks.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

That makes perfect sense.

But, if you are at the pharmacy and they tell you that your rx is NOT gluten free..... do you drive around going from pharmacy to pharmacy until you find one that has the gluten free version??

celiacgirls Apprentice

Per the celiac listserve:

All those that took AMOXCIL Brand had no problems with it. Someone else suggested asking for generic Amoxcillin by Ranbaxy because they will ensure it is gluten free.

Do you know what brand you have?

I have printed out a list of gluten-free medicines to take with me to the doctor if I anticipate the need for a prescription. Then I try to get the prescription written for brand name only. Other times, I have asked the pharmacy to make sure it is gluten-free and then looked at the manufacturer and called them myself to verify. The manufacturer is listed on the prescription label at least at my Walgreens. I had to research online to find the phone number. I haven't called any that weren't gluten-free but I figure if the pharmacy was supposed to check and I find out differently, they hopefully would refund my money if they were wrong.

I think a side effect of Amoxcillin is stomach problems. The fatigue is suspicious for a glutening, though.

You would think they could make most medicines free of the common allergens.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Ranbaxy is the brand we have!!!!

*Ugh*

Now I'm REALLY scratching my head!!!!

gfp Enthusiast
That makes perfect sense.

But, if you are at the pharmacy and they tell you that your rx is NOT gluten free..... do you drive around going from pharmacy to pharmacy until you find one that has the gluten free version??

I don't know about your local laws but here the prescription is considered generic (even when its named) and always has the Dr. number on. The pharmacist will either just subsititute another brand OR phone the Dr. and she gives an oral OK the pharmacist notes on the rx....

The best I found is to find the product sheet on the internet before going to fill out the Rx. Find the ones with gluten and be pre-prepred and even phone your MD in advance....

My MD now pre-checks ALL products before prescribing me .. half because she's a wonderful human being and half because she likes to avoid dumb pharmacists asking if they can subsitute brand Y for brand X....

My last prescription was actually worded something like "any xxxcillin based antobiotic which is gluten-free: I forget exactly what it was but its when I had a kidney infection.... The pharmacist looked at me like I had just taken in a prescription for bear-thyroid and tiger blood with a side order of morphine but filled out the prescription all the same...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Ok, now I'm just angry.

Tummy aches are definitely a side effect of this medication, but she can't move. =(

I'm sitting here... thinking, thinking, thinking.... last night, my baby who is also gluten-free had a couple fries from Wendy's - and he threw up all over the place. My daughter ALSO ate some of those fries.

Normally, the Wendy's I would go to is close to us and I KNOW they have a dedicated fryer. However, dh informed me that he went to a different Wendy's.

Can we say... cross-contamination?????

That's all I can think of!! Ohhhhhhhh, my head hurts.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
The best I found is to find the product sheet on the internet before going to fill out the Rx. Find the ones with gluten and be pre-prepred and even phone your MD in advance....

I didn't have time to do that. I went right from the pediatrician to the pharmacy. But, if Ranbaxy is gluten-free - then it's NOT what's causing her problems.

I will certainly, absolutely 100%, keep all of this in mind the next time we have to fill an rx for any thing!!!

gfp Enthusiast
I didn't have time to do that. I went right from the pediatrician to the pharmacy. But, if Ranbaxy is gluten-free - then it's NOT what's causing her problems.

I will certainly, absolutely 100%, keep all of this in mind the next time we have to fill an rx for any thing!!!

Hey theres always a chance they just have a tummy bug :D it happens and builds their immune systems.

Ok, now I'm just angry.
Honestly, as a son I can say this won't help them half as much as a cuddle! As a mom you know this too. :D

Can we say... cross-contamination?????
Its going to happen sooner or later.... Only YOU and your hubby can decide what risks you take. Everyone takes risks ... and you shouldn't blame yourself.....bringing up kids is a delicate balance between letting them live and protecting them... You sound like you are doing just fine....

HUGS to you and please pass them on to your sick daughters ... and please don't blame your hubby HUG him too.

He probably feels awful, even if he's doing the big tough guy thing.... that's why moms like you are so important....

If your going to blame anyone blame bad luck....

I totally understand you wanted to get them the medicine as soon as possible... your hubby probably wanted to be away the least time from his sick baby... and an accident could have hapened at the one you go to sooner or later anyway....

Your sick babies will get over this... gluten or not and its unlikely (like billions to one) its going to cause any real damage but your a loving mom and seeing your babies in pain is stressful....

Or am I just saying the obvious...

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

:)

They've all been getting lots of extra cuddles. (And the 8 year old boy claims to really HATE it, yet... he's lying with his head in my lap or on my shoulder at every chance!) :rolleyes:

It's just super frustrating because this has been going on for a month now. One gets sick, the other gets sick, then the other. And, as soon as they are all better.... one of them gets something diffferent. My husband and I both had strep ourselves!!

The 3rd grader went back to school today, he's been out for 11 days. Of course, he still has blood tests pending. They tested his SED rate, as well as ran an Epstein-Barr Virus check, mono titer, and a bunch of other things. I was given the ok to send him back though. I'm a nervous wreck.

(gosh...this is turning into an all-out vent, sorry about that!!!)

gfp Enthusiast
:)

They've all been getting lots of extra cuddles. (And the 8 year old boy claims to really HATE it, yet... he's lying with his head in my lap or on my shoulder at every chance!) :rolleyes:

Yeah, I used to say that too...... I didn't mean a word of it :D

It's just super frustrating because this has been going on for a month now. One gets sick, the other gets sick, then the other. And, as soon as they are all better.... one of them gets something diffferent. My husband and I both had strep ourselves!!

The 3rd grader went back to school today, he's been out for 11 days. Of course, he still has blood tests pending. They tested his SED rate, as well as ran an Epstein-Barr Virus check, mono titer, and a bunch of other things. I was given the ok to send him back though. I'm a nervous wreck.

(gosh...this is turning into an all-out vent, sorry about that!!!)

We all need those from time to time.....

jenvan Collaborator

I also always just call the manufacturer myself. Sometimes this can take a day or two though...

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
I also always just call the manufacturer myself. Sometimes this can take a day or two though...

See, in the case of a child who is incredibly sick and missing school..... I don't have a day or two.

gfp Enthusiast
See, in the case of a child who is incredibly sick and missing school..... I don't have a day or two.

Yeah I see but the MD should have that info.... mine does but she usually passes the buck... she's busy but in the case of a sick child I'm sure she would.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
Yeah I see but the MD should have that info.... mine does but she usually passes the buck... she's busy but in the case of a sick child I'm sure she would.

I'm not sure he even took the gluten issue into the equation when writing the RX. However, now that I know that the brand we have IS gluten free, I'm left wondering why in the world she's so sick today. All I can think is... it's GOT to be CC from Wendy's.

I do sincerely appreciate ALL the responses, and the next time we need an rx for anything... I will absolutely make sure that the doctor notate the kids' gluten free status on the actual RX.

If I have to literally drive around, from pharmacy to pharmacy, in order to find a gluten free version of whatever it is we need, I absolutely will do it. I hope that will never be a necessity, however. =)

gfp Enthusiast
I'm not sure he even took the gluten issue into the equation when writing the RX. However, now that I know that the brand we have IS gluten free, I'm left wondering why in the world she's so sick today. All I can think is... it's GOT to be CC from Wendy's.

I do sincerely appreciate ALL the responses, and the next time we need an rx for anything... I will absolutely make sure that the doctor notate the kids' gluten free status on the actual RX.

If I have to literally drive around, from pharmacy to pharmacy, in order to find a gluten free version of whatever it is we need, I absolutely will do it. I hope that will never be a necessity, however. =)

Its really down to your GP....

When I had a kidney infection mine phoned round the labs to find me one that could give me the results same day.... she's not obligated to but she's a wonderful person and that's why I keep her as my GP.

I am certain if I was really ill and needed gluten-free medication she would phone the pharmacies and ask and tell thrm to put some aside.

Again she doesn't have to.....

OK not everyone can be totally happy with their GP but a reasonable GP should do this or at least have the receptionist help you out when its something as critical as a sick child.

Archived