This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Drink?

Guest starmiller

Guest starmiller

I thought I could drink wine, but I had a reaction. I heard that the barrels that wine is made/stored in are sealed with gluten. They don't have to list that as an ingredient although it can get into the wine. I don't know if that's true or not - I only know it had a very negative affect on me. Can I drink soda pop? Can I drink rum? I know there are gluten-free beers and I have tried a couple of them with no problems (at home), you can't buy them at a nightclub. I'm going to a dinner dance Friday night and I'd like to have a drink with my husband. Can someone help me?

Starmiller

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
I thought I could drink wine, but I had a reaction. I heard that the barrels that wine is made/stored in are sealed with gluten. They don't have to list that as an ingredient although it can get into the wine. I don't know if that's true or not - I only know it had a very negative affect on me. Can I drink soda pop? Can I drink rum? I know there are gluten-free beers and I have tried a couple of them with no problems (at home), you can't buy them at a nightclub. I'm going to a dinner dance Friday night and I'd like to have a drink with my husband. Can someone help me?

Starmiller

Sealed with gluten, never heard of but casein (milk protein) is a common woodglue and many celaics are also casein intolerant...

Not saying you're wrong but I think you could have mixed up the two?

Guest starmiller
Sealed with gluten, never heard of but casein (milk protein) is a common woodglue and many celaics are also casein intolerant...

Not saying you're wrong but I think you could have mixed up the two?

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure about why I had a reaction - looking for answers as I suffer through this. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can drink?

gfp Enthusiast

My suggestions are that the jury is out on any grain based liquor .... simply not worth the risk on a regular basis. Some people do and manage?

Some ciders but boy I get sick....

Coke/Pepsi are meant to be OK from a celiac disease POV... obviously they are not healthy.... but then neither is a night on the town :D

What I do is stick to white rums/tequila in liquor and mix with coke/sprite etc. or cuba libre (make sure they don't add commercial syrop) etc.

If you are off with hubby for a night out, (its valentines day here in France) then I would usually suggest sticking to good quality wine.

I personally can't drink champagne ... even the VERY good stuff .. last time I had 2 glasses was Bollinger RD and I spent a day on the loo but I don't think its gluten related....

I have the same problem with low-end whites....

However when Im glutened I also get lots of side effects, brainfog, and other intolerances become prevalent ... I don't get this with champagne so I can only assume its something else....

One special thing about REAL champagne is it is made "On lees" which basically means on the stalks and leaves... Some Canadian beers are made like this too.... and also some cheap wines designed to be drunk young....

Tritty Rookie

I've been wondering the same thing. So for example - do you think a strawberry daquiri would be safe? It's usually made with rum - so I guess it would be the mix that would be worrisome ...?

What about ameretto? I've not been able to find anything on whether that is safe or not. That would be easy to order with a little sour mix - basically OJ and sprite....

gfp Enthusiast
I've been wondering the same thing. So for example - do you think a strawberry daquiri would be safe? It's usually made with rum - so I guess it would be the mix that would be worrisome ...?

What about ameretto? I've not been able to find anything on whether that is safe or not. That would be easy to order with a little sour mix - basically OJ and sprite....

I would worry about the caramel color in Amaretto but I can probably find out on the Italian site... they are very good for lists :D

Strawberry Daquiri .... is certainly possible....but you need to check the ingredients.

Basically it SHOULD BE rum, lemon juice, strawberries and sugar

what you need to watch is the bartender doing something fancy or using the fruit syrops etc...or adding triple sec (common) or similar.

Not long ago I ordered a rum and coke, the waitress asked of I wanted lemon or lime so I said OK, lime...

That night was spent in my 2nd bedroom.... the one with the seat with the hole!

I went back next day and asked what she put in.... rum, coke, lime syrop and lime...

Open Original Shared Link

This is the prob with sour mix... it depends on the syrops used. Instead I try and go for cuba libre type stuff of capirihna (with normal rum not cahcaca) where the sugar is in the glass .... but you can do the same with a sour-mix.....

Remember this can vary by manufacturer... however this is the only one I call REAL amaretto.

Open Original Shared Link

cchhrriiss Newbie

Luksvowa vodka made with 100% potato, and no grain added at the end of process. It's top shelf at Meijer, but not too expensive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

here's a random list of gluten-free bevs for you :) these bevs the manufacturers asserted are 'gluten-free':

coke, sprite, pepsi, sierra mist, diet versions of those too

bacardi rums

captain morgan rums

cointreau

drambuie

hanger one vodka

j & b rare blended whiskey

jose cuerov tequilas

maker's mark whiskey

seagram's whiskey

skyy vodkas

strongbow cider

tanqueray gin

woodchuck ciders

proger Newbie

i drink plenty of different white wines with no problems. from nicer wines on down to cheap. but i also love bacardi "o" which is their orange flavored rum mixed with sprite or 7-up. delicious! just be careful if the bar uses one shot glass to measure out the liquor for all drinks. it is usually not washed between drinks. just ask him to not use it, or use a clean one. i have never had a bartender give me a problem with that request. depending on the type of bar, they may have disposable/plastic shot cups anyway.

Guest starmiller
i drink plenty of different white wines with no problems. from nicer wines on down to cheap. but i also love bacardi "o" which is their orange flavored rum mixed with sprite or 7-up. delicious! just be careful if the bar uses one shot glass to measure out the liquor for all drinks. it is usually not washed between drinks. just ask him to not use it, or use a clean one. i have never had a bartender give me a problem with that request. depending on the type of bar, they may have disposable/plastic shot cups anyway.

Gosh, thanks guys. I have more options than I thought. I'll let you know how I do. I always worry because it seems I am tricked by so many little details that I haven't learned about yet. You've been very kind and helpful.

Starmiller

gfp Enthusiast

Wow that's a good point, its actually a legal requirement here in France for all glasses and they are meant to do it in front of you... so you can definately insist...

From the fact that I don't think even whisky's and grain liquor have "much gluten" even on a bad batch washing a glass for a measure already makes this (if it was ever there) super dilute.... I know from my own experience I can get away with a single shot of top shelf triple distilled stuff once in a while.... but if I drink it all night (I don't mean blathering drunk) then I usually do react... leastwide it seems that way to me....

celiac disease is all about balancing risks, its unfortunate but that's true... we live in a world of potential CC and hidden gluten so all we can do is make our own luck and get on with life.

I personally chose not to extend that risk to grain alcohol because though i used to love s single malt I am happy enough with Rums and Tequila... and its easy to set a rule when your dealing with alcohol because your judgement on what to risk and what isn't tends to decrease as the night wears on... :D thus I find it easier to set a rule for me.

Some people might not need this but I do or I'd lose my remaining sanity.

Tritty Rookie

Thanks so much for the link to the amaretto! That kind has always been my favorite - so that makes me SO HAPPY!

Here's a great recipe to keep in your freezer or for parties:

4 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup sugar

1 or 2 cups ameretto

1 can frozen OJ (12oz)

1 can frozen lemonade (12oz)

Freeze overnight

Serve with sprite.

Felidae Enthusiast

Disorono (sp?), the expensive brand of amaretto is safe.

Archived