6 replies to this topic

#1 BRCoats

BRCoats

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:46 PM

Can anyone tell me if Kroger Mild Cheddar cheese is gluten-free? I looked on delphiforums, but it wasn't listed. The ingredients look ok (I think), but I think I ingested gluten this weekend, and am trying to figure out the source. The cheese is all I can think of. ?? (I confess - I'm a newbie). :o
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 calico jo

calico jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 05:27 AM

Look on the back of the package for a toll free consumer services phone number. Give them a call and ask them. They may even be able to supply you with a list of products that are gluten free. I know that in general Kroger stores are gluten aware...that is, they seem to have a growing selection of gluten free items.

I've been intending on calling Kroger myself, too. I shop there often and it would be nice to feel safe buying store brand things instead of name brand.

If I make the call before you, I'll post....

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 05:41 AM

Basically, I have yet to find a hard block cheese like cheddar that isn't gluten-free. I don't even call about them any more. Yes, the Kroger cheese is gluten-free.

Kroger does not have a gluten-free list but they are VERY good when you call about specific items. Some people grouch about them not having a list, but I think it makes sense. The reason they don't have a list is because ingredients change. Something that's gluten-free today might not be tomorrow.

richard

#4 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:27 AM

Hmmm....well, I guess the reaction wasn't from the cheese. :blink: Maybe I just got some crumbs that I wasn't aware of then. Glad to hear the cheese is gluten-free!! Thanks for the post!

Brenda
~Brenda

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

#5 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:30 AM

I use the Kroger brands cheeses (both shredded and block) and I have not had any problems. I believe I called months ago about it. They have a great dieticians line to call in and get help with their products.

#6 calico jo

calico jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

Hmmm....well, I guess the reaction wasn't from the cheese. :blink: Maybe I just got some crumbs that I wasn't aware of then. Glad to hear the cheese is gluten-free!! Thanks for the post!

Brenda

Maybe someone else in the household used a knife on bread and then on the cheese? Or you cut the cheese on the counter that had some crumbs on it? Always be careful to prepare your foods on a clean counter or do like I do and get a clean plate out to use to prepare my food on. Hope you're feeling better.

#7 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking I just got some crumbs. I usually am very careful, but sometimes when I get in a hurry (because of low blood sugar) I do get careless. Sometimes I'm just so darn hungry!! :rolleyes: But....I'm not complaining. I spent years not every having a single tummy growl. I welcome them now. Heehee...

Brenda
P.S. I am feeling somewhat better today. Thanks!!
~Brenda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: