This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Smirnoff

Prairie Girl

gfp Enthusiast
WITNESS!!!!!...Grain alcohol in a trash cans in Red Square. How I survived? :blink:

LOL

Anyway, the whole frat thing is prety incomprehensible to us Europeans?

I won't pretend we don't have a few drinks at Uni :D or even on occaision more than a few... but I could never understand the reason frat's were allowed to even exist? Try looking at it from outside, its really quite a weird concept ... vis-a-vis lovegrov's explanation??

So instead of this British Universities have a rugby club .... something I found almost as weird... I got dragged in cos I'm actually quite good as a fly-half (the person who gets crushed usually) ... but the sticking potatos in weird places and drinking games were not really for me... I took drinking far too seriously to consider it a game :D but of course the big difference is that drinking is completely legal at 18... another weird thing we Europeans have problems understanding about the US?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Actually, attitude toward drinking including the lower drinking age might be why there aren't as many problems with drinking in Europe. From what I can tell, people LEARN how to drink as they're growing up because wine is often part of a meal.

That is how I grew up, and how I'm raising my kids. We are teaching them to drink at home. My son is a good example ... at Christmas, hubby made each of them a Jack and Coke. My 16 year old son sucked his down in seconds and wanted another. Hubby said he could have another when hubby did. Son learned to sip his drink and make it last.

If he didn't drink at home, he'd have gotten trashed! And, he's told us that the ONLY reason he doesn't drink with his friends is because if he did, he would no longer be allowed to drink at home! Our 18 year old daughter said the same thing!!

What we do in the US is not allow our kids to drink, so they get to college, cut loose, and binge drink. Our daughter does drink in college, she does go to frat parties, but she doesn't overdo it (yes, we are close enough that she'd tell me the truth).

Frats are different from sororities ... I liked the living environment ... living in a house, with a cook and a maid!! ;) There are no parties with alcohol at a sorority house (I'm not saying it's never happened).

All that being said, I have a zero tolerance for alcohol because of Lyme (BIG hangover from even one drink) ... as if not being able to eat gluten isn't bad enough!! :angry:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Anyway, the whole frat thing is prety incomprehensible to us Europeans?

That's how we feel about soccer, LOL. The whole world watches soccer, except for us! :blink:

gfp Enthusiast
Actually, attitude toward drinking including the lower drinking age might be why there aren't as many problems with drinking in Europe. From what I can tell, people LEARN how to drink as they're growing up because wine is often part of a meal.

I have to say I agree although its becoming a bigger problem now in the UK.

In Paris I know lots of barstaff from international bars and they pretty much have the same opinion about French students..

"The joke is basically we had 12 French students in earlier, I couldn't get 12 straws in the same bottle so I had to pour it into a glass"

I won't say you never see anyone drunk... but I can also say 9/10 times they end up not being French... we do have our share of wino's and hobo's like any other major city but most French kids at 18-25 don't really get drunk very often.

French students doing shots is almost unheard of...

Same goes for Italy as well....

I think a large part is as you say that kids learn to drink responsibly from parents...

On the other hand, when I lived in Norway it was completely the opposite... I found it actually disturbing to see 40-something business men puking in the gutter .. I don't mean 1-2 but hundreds on Friday/Sat nights...

Alcohol is strictly controlled, you can only buy wine/liquor in govt run shops... beer at certain times in supermarkets

Which came first, the control or the abuse... its a chicken/egg thing?

Having lived in Norway for 2 yrs I really don't think removing restrictions would help.... I think its too late because they picked up their habits earlier?

The funny thing was, working for a French company in Norway the Norwegians would always confide how the French were alcoholics because they liked a glass of wine everyday... this from someone who would be drunk from Friday night through Sunday night... (but always in work at 07:30) Northern Scotland is quite similar...

The real difference is people who go out for a drink and people who go out to get drunk....

I never have shots, well never is not quite correct ... but very rarely and actually celiac disease is a decent excuse as often as not.

I do remember aged 12 or so sipping a beer shandy (50% lemonade)and my father and a friend discussing all this in front of me...

For all my joking I never was a big one for getting drunk as a skunk... which is not to say there were not more than a few nights as a student I was unable to get wholy inside the house without passing out with key in the lock...

I might share a poem about this...? but its not a very good one :D as I wrote it while drunk

Eric is my alter-ego,

he gets me home at night.

When I'm to drunk to even stand,he'll stress with all his might....

The importance of getitng home,

and back to my own bed.

Without my schitzophrenic friend

By now I would be dead.

His character takes over,

when Im to drunk to have my own

When Im far to drunk to remember even just how he got me home

But none remembers Eric,

My savior and my guide,

They just see me pissed up* again

Without Eric by my side.

*pissed up = british euphenism for really drunk... sozzled...

"That's how we feel about soccer, LOL. The whole world watches soccer, except for us! "

Not me I detest soccer, when the word cup comes I seal my doors and stay home until its all over...

Really really scares me...

Michi8 Contributor
It all depends on your location. In the USA Smirnoff Ice is not gluten free, but in Canada it is gluten free. So, you have to make sure you are contacting the Canadian Smirnoff and not the US Smirnoff.

Wow, I had no idea that Smirnoff Ice is so different between the US and Canada. Smirnoff.com has a list of FAQs that address the difference, and I found a blurb in Wikipedia that talks about the differences:

There are two different products by the name of Smirnoff Ice. One, sold in the United States and France, is a citrus-flavoured malt beverage (5% ABV). The other, sold in Europe (excluding France), Latin America, Australia and Canada, is a premixed vodka drink (4.7% (7% in Ontario and Australia)o ABV).

I have never been a malt beverage fan, so am really glad the Smirnoff Ice in Canada is a vodka cooler instead. :D

Michelle

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Soccer (football for the rest of the world) has grown in popularity over the years in the US. It will never reach American Football ratings or following, but then again, nothing will.

The US has started to build quite a few "soccer-only" stadiums and for the most part, they are doing well. The problem has always been marketing and the creation of true American soccer stars. Now, with Landon Donovan, Demarcus Beasley, Tim Howard, Freddy Adu and a few others, soccer is gaining momentum.

Heck, even ESPN shows its highlights now (including some English Premier League).

I have played soccer all my life, so it will always have a special place for me. However, if the US plays a game and there is also Ohio State football or Cincy Bengals football, the choice is easy - I choose American Football.

As far as drinking is concerned, I think the binge/massive drinking issues in college are much better than they have ever been. In the last two years of going back to OSU, the campus is much cleaner and the students are better behaved. this is also likely due to the fact that OSU has increasingly higher standards to get in than when I was a student (which was a 2.0 GPA and a heartbeat)...LOL

gfp Enthusiast
Soccer (football for the rest of the world) has grown in popularity over the years in the US. It will never reach American Football ratings or following, but then again, nothing will.

Look you just took one of our English guys... please don't stop... take them all you ar more than welcome...

If by any chance you could get him and his wife to drop British nationality this would also be greatly appreciated.

I find it quite embarrasing that someone with so little education and intellegence can represent Britain in any shape or form and find the association of the Beckhams with my nationality rather embarassing so....

Take our Beckham....

No really take em....

You stole our Henny Youngman now please take our Beckhams....

(I'm also willing to do a bulk purchase deal if you take Princess Ann, the Queen and the young Princes)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Bronco, you are right, I don't think it's as bad as it used to be.

I grew up in Ohio, too, Centerville ... they were the state champs when I was in school. So, soccer was pretty big in my high school. And, as you know, soccer here is as big as Little League!

However, I spent a summer in Mexico and have not seen anyone as interested in sports as they were in the World Cup ... except for the Superbowl.

Funny,

I played soccer for Beavercreek.

Centerville ruled Ohio soccer for many years. My eldest brothers team at Beavercreek were the first ones "not to lose" to Centerville in Beavercreek's history (tie 1-1) - that was in 1985 - LOL

The two schools have had a pretty great rivalry ever since. In my Senior year, we beat Centerville in the Sectional Finals, only to lose to Xenia in District Finals :(

Both Beavercreek and Centerville are always ranked in every major sport (except for my beloved Beavers football team - they usually stink up the joint - LOL)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Funny,

I played soccer for Beavercreek.

Centerville ruled Ohio soccer for many years. My eldest brothers team at Beavercreek were the first ones "not to lose" to Centerville in Beavercreek's history (tie 1-1) - that was in 1985 - LOL

The two schools have had a pretty great rivalry ever since. In my Senior year, we beat Centerville in the Sectional Finals, only to lose to Xenia in District Finals :(

Both Beavercreek and Centerville are always ranked in every major sport (except for my beloved Beavers football team - they usually stink up the joint - LOL)

I graduated in 1981 ... we never lost a football game (except an exhibition game with Moeller, but then we beat them in 1982) my whole high school career. I don't know if you ever noticed our BAND!!! They are awesome and place nationally every year. I was a band geek. Still am, for that matter! :lol: I play in the community band here and at Church every Sunday! I go back to C'ville every fourth of July and march in the alumni band for the parade through downtown C'ville. Fun, fun, fun.

We did rule soccer ...

Felidae Enthusiast

That is how I grew up, and how I'm raising my kids. We are teaching them to drink at home. My son is a good example ... at Christmas, hubby made each of them a Jack and Coke. My 16 year old son sucked his down in seconds and wanted another. Hubby said he could have another when hubby did. Son learned to sip his drink and make it last.

My thoughts exactly. You are right and at 18 they don't feel the need to get as trashed.

Felidae Enthusiast
Wow, I had no idea that Smirnoff Ice is so different between the US and Canada. Smirnoff.com has a list of FAQs that address the difference, and I found a blurb in Wikipedia that talks about the differences:

There are two different products by the name of Smirnoff Ice. One, sold in the United States and France, is a citrus-flavoured malt beverage (5% ABV). The other, sold in Europe (excluding France), Latin America, Australia and Canada, is a premixed vodka drink (4.7% (7% in Ontario and Australia)o ABV).

I have never been a malt beverage fan, so am really glad the Smirnoff Ice in Canada is a vodka cooler instead. :D

Michelle

They get rather sweet if you have too many. But it's a nice cold refreshing drink on a hot summers day.

gfp Enthusiast

Embarassingly stupid post, of no value whatsoever.... So I deleted it... sorry.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hmmm, gfp, since it's the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT IN FRANCE, this is probably the most appropriate thread for you to be posting on. :lol::lol::lol:

The point of telling me he played soccer is that Beavercreek, where he lived, is right next to Centerville, where I lived. It's a small world! People from all over the world on this forum, and we were practically neighbors.

Besides, I disagree, sports build character, teamwork, working for a goal. Well, I'm not talking professional sports ... we were talking high school sports.

Lisa Mentor

I have a personal question for you Steve........WHEN in the heck DO you sleep. Your last post here would be 3:30 am Paris time. I am on eastern standard time., east coast US.

Just curious?

Perhaps its just me but who really gives a poop

Being able to play a sport is the most useless contribuion to humaily possibel, indeed its a negative contribtion, its acting like apes....

As it happens I am exceptionallty good at sport. When I needed I reached #6 in my weightgroup in kickboxing in the UK...

... big deal... ???So what it paid my tuition fees.

I don't see that as even 1/1000th part of helping a single person to live a full life ......

Sportsmen get paid mega$ fora skill which benefits no-one, its a waste of a life.

paying any sportman or sport-women anything above minimum wage is an insult to those who chose to make a diffference with thier life.

Sport is humans at thier worst, tribalism and racism at its most basic level!

To be proud of any teams record is a shameful thing IMHO....

I suppose its all in one's perspective. I have a few friends that play or have played professional American Football. They trained their entire lives to make it to that point. I certainly have more respect for the hard work they do every day compared to some of the attorneys I work with or Doctors I have seen practicing. Some of those people hurt more than they help, believe me!

If what you say is true, then we might as well throw all the artists, actors, singers, entertainment figures out with the bath water as well. Afterall, sports figures are just entertainers on an athletic level.

Because of a few of my friends salaries in football, they were able to start charitable foundations in the USA to help kids have food on the table, a warm bed at night and a place to study. Surely you would agree that that is the most noble thing one can do with their money? Help others right?

I hardly compare my experiences in athletics as a young lad as "racist" or "tribal"...I just considered them fun and assisting my work ethic and social skills...(as well as exercise which is a pretty good idea the last time I checked...LOL)

CarlaB Enthusiast
I suppose its all in one's perspective. I have a few friends that play or have played professional American Football. They trained their entire lives to make it to that point. I certainly have more respect for the hard work they do every day compared to some of the attorneys I work with or Doctors I have seen practicing. Some of those people hurt more than they help, believe me!

If what you say is true, then we might as well throw all the artists, actors, singers, entertainment figures out with the bath water as well. Afterall, sports figures are just entertainers on an athletic level.

Because of a few of my friends salaries in football, they were able to start charitable foundations in the USA to help kids have food on the table, a warm bed at night and a place to study. Surely you would agree that that is the most noble thing one can do with their money? Help others right?

I hardly compare my experiences in athletics as a young lad as "racist" or "tribal"...I just considered them fun and assisting my work ethic and social skills...(as well as exercise which is a pretty good idea the last time I checked...LOL)

Well said.

Sports is business. Entertainment is business. Maybe they are overpaid, but we enjoy it nonetheless. The actors I'm watching on Grey's are probably overpaid, too. But it's part of our economy and culture.

I don't know that CEO's deserve their salaries either, but they, too, have worked hard to get where they are.

I don't think you can say spotsmen or entertainers don't make a difference ... making others' lives more pleasurable IS making a difference.

I'm a mom ... I'm not paid at all!

lovegrov Collaborator
WITNESS!!!!!...Grain alcohol in a trash cans in Red Square. How I survived? :blink:

Or Zollman's Pavilion!! I remember yes, I COULD remember) looking back one time and seeing that field littered with passed out people. Seemed funny at the time. My 30th reunion is in May and they're having a party at Zollman's.

richard

Prairie Girl Apprentice

wow! thank you for the reponses! i had no idea that canada and the united states made different smirnoff ice beverages. but this might explain something... i was drinking a smirnoff ice a while back and it said "flavoured beer" on the label.. and of course i had a panic attack and started checking all of my other smirnoff ice bottles (random ones left over in my fridge) which did not say this and did not list any gluten containing ingredients (i checked about 10 times!). i am wondering if some sort of mix up happened? even this seems really strange? but i was wondering how on earth that ended up on a bottle b/c i thought that all smirnoff ice products were vodka mixes. i dont' think i got the smirnoff in the states... but maybe i did and had brought some back from a trip? too long ago to remember. hmmm... strange

Lisa Mentor
Or Zollman's Pavilion!! I remember yes, I COULD remember) looking back one time and seeing that field littered with passed out people. Seemed funny at the time. My 30th reunion is in May and they're having a party at Zollman's.

richard

Zolloman's OMG! I have a vague memory of siting on a friends shoulders singing "Hey, hey baby, I wanna know if you'll be my girl..." The decadence of youth.

Your 30th reunion, gosh richard, now you're making me feel old.

Michi8 Contributor
They get rather sweet if you have too many. But it's a nice cold refreshing drink on a hot summers day.

I like sweet, girly drinks (bellinis are my favourite :D ) It does take me a looooong time to finish a drink though, so I don't often have "too many." But it sure does hit the spot in the summer!

Michelle

Felidae Enthusiast
I like sweet, girly drinks (bellinis are my favourite :D ) It does take me a looooong time to finish a drink though, so I don't often have "too many." But it sure does hit the spot in the summer!

Michelle

There's nothing wrong with a girly drink. Nigella Lawson had a delicious summer recipe of strawberries, ice and sparkling wine mixed together in a blender. Yummy...

Archived