This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol

rossi01

rossi01 Newbie

now i am in college and was just recently diagnosed w/ gluten intolerant and was wondering now since no more beers what kind of alcohol other people with this disease drink thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Hi! I'm a college Junior who was diagnosed in July.

I drink wine, particularly Arbor Mist wines. All wine is gluten-free--it's made from grapes :) 151 Bacardi is gluten-free --check out the website Open Original Shared Link It's pretty cool. Jose Cuervo tequila is gluten-free, and so is any other tequila with 100% agave (which is a plant).I hear that Kalua (sp?) is gluten-free, but I have yet to inquire at the state store.

Good Luck,

lovegrov Collaborator

Actually, virtually all distilled liquors are gluten-free, including the ones made from wheat.

Yes, Kahlua is gluten-free

richard

Sterndogg Apprentice

Some hard ciders are gluten-free too. Strongbow, Magners and Woodchuck are gluten free...more alcohol by volume too compared to beers B) All wines and hard alcohols are gluten free unless they add ingredients after the distillation process. Also as a former beer drinker I've "cheated" and had a Heineken once in a while but had zero problems (whereas if I eat something by accident that might have trace amounts of wheat in it IE Soy Sauce, I instantly feel crappy). HOWEVER, I'm not recommending this as a solution and something to experiment with frequently.

Here is what Heineken states on their website and the info has recently been updated:

"Does Heineken beer contain any gluten?

Heineken is produced from malted barley which by barley's nature contains barley gluten. Traces of gluten can be analysed in beer. There is no maximum limit for beer for "gluten−free". If we apply the limits for food to beer, our beers are far below these limits. For special information check with your General Practitioner."

Best,

Adam

• 1 month later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

if you live in Canada, you can get gluten-free Beer :D I just got some last week...cost me $3.25 a bottle...you gotta get 24 in a load and they are only good til March 2005. But worth it. They actually taste like beer..

And I've never had a problem with any vodka/rye/whiskey/rum..

~lisa~

• 3 weeks later...
WSLIZ Newbie

Hi Im new at this gluten-free stuff....Im a big fan of Vodka......any vodkas we can drink? certain brand for sure?

THANKS!!! ~LIZ~

num1habsfan Rising Star
Hi Im new at this gluten-free stuff....Im a big fan of Vodka......any vodkas we can drink? certain brand for sure?

THANKS!!! ~LIZ~

as far as I know, all vodkas are safe to drink..I'm a vodka and coke girl myself, so I would know.. ;)

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WSLIZ Newbie
:D O THANK GOD!
snipe12 Rookie

THANKS!!! ~LIZ~

Hi. Most vodkas are fine but if you want to be super cautious then Smirnoff is corn based.

Occasionally some hard alcohols have something added after the distillation process which makes them unsafe but there are only a few like that.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm more celiac than you Newbie

Even though whiskey is distilled from gluten containing grains, is it still ok to drink? I have heard that the distillation process breaks down the gluten, and I know that Scotch Whiskey (double distilled) is ok. But I am still unclear about whether or not single distilled whiskey is gluten-free.

mswift Newbie

Here are a couple of sources I've found regarding distilled alcohol....

Documents on www.celiac.com:

Which Alcoholic Beverages are Safe?

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-34104341819.36

Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-09104362619.a2

Document on www.celiac.org:

Open Original Shared Link

...at the time of this posting the celiac.org site was down, so you may have to try it at another time.

The gist of these articles is that the Gluten peptide is to large to make it through the distillation process. HOWEVER, some celiacs have still reported problems drinking distilled alcohol from grain based beverages. So, try at you own risk.

I have had no problems with Whiskey or Scotch.

jaimek Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Grenadine is gluten-free?

I'm more celiac than you Newbie

I posted this in another category but I was also wondering about Amstel Light beer. I found a quote from a rep at Heineken USA that said that although it contains Barley, the gluten content in Amstel light is "lower than the gluten free standard". Is this possible?

• 1 month later...
VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Hi everyone,

gluten-free beer made from sorghum is almost here...

www.bardsbeer.com

Can't wait!!!

P.S. I've had the Rampo Valley Beer -- It was pretty good -- a little sweet (from the honey), but hey, its beer! :D

flagbabyds Collaborator

There's a passover beer made in up town ny and it actually tastes like beer and it is completely gluten-free it says it on the bottle

albapsyche Newbie

Here's a promo for this site. Under the safe and forbidden list section there is a list of alcohol that is safe for Celiacs with brand names and everything. I keep a copy in my cook book B) I do know that I can drink Peach schnapps and vodka without an issue and I love three-buck-Chuck from Trader Joe's. But who doesn't like wine that costs three dollars a bottle!!

Later.

Brittany Newbie

I can't beleive i found this site - b/c all the questions i have are being discussed - and I had no idea what alcohol i could have so i was stuck with captian morgans only b/c i only knew i could have rum (not that there is anything wrong with that but...i like varaity ya i can't spell) everybody on this site is awsome

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Capn Morgan salways made my stomach go nuts -- I opted for Bacardi/7-Up with a lime -- good drink!

• 1 month later...
joe2008 Newbie

I'm allergic to all alchohol, it i too strong and I get bad hangovers...so I stick to weed and salvia

noodlegurl Newbie

Does anyone know whether Midori melon liqueur and Triple Sec liqueur is okay?

minibabe Contributor

I am going to be going to a wedding this weekend....anyone have any suggestions on what to stay away from at the bar. One of my personal favorites is a malibu bay breeze, is that okay? thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
ErraticBinxie Explorer

I know this is probably a stupid question but can we have smirnoff or bacardi that has malt in it? I accidentally had some the other day and had no problems and i have been gluten-free for 9 years and usually the littlest thing sets me off. Just wondering....

lovegrov Collaborator

The malt is made from barley and therefore is off limits. The gluten content is probably extremely small, but it's there.

richard

tdrew Rookie

Here's the gluten-free alcohol list from Celiac.com:

Open Original Shared Link

Tom

• 2 months later...
LqrMan Newbie

Hey everyone!

I graduated college 2 yrs ago, but didn't do much drinking because of the whole celiac thing. Now, I work for a wine and liquor distributor! What a coincidence right?!

I have heard a lot of people saying that distilled liquors no matter the source are ok to drink. I still will not chance it though until I have proof that the wheat/barley is COMPLETELY eaten up by the yeast during fermentation. I really don't think it is, but I am going down to Jack Daniel's distillery in September so I will ask the hard questions there.

Some things I learned while working for a liquor distributor:

-Rums are probably all safe. Dark/Gold rums get their color (most always) from being aged in oak barrels. There are a few rums (Goslings-black rum) that is probably colored, but I did not have a problem with it.

-Tequilas- I believe all tequilas are gluten-free. The cheaper tequilas are called mixto-Jose Cuervo/Pepe Lopez/etc (51% agave and 49% other spirits- usually sugar derived) so they are okay as well

-Southern Comfort- One of the brands I represent. I asked some brand managers if it is gluten free and got a YES back from them. I have had it a few times since and I got a headache the first time i drank it (I usually do not get headaches). I will let you know officially because I also inquired about possible caramel color that is added.

-Vodka-I stick to Ciroc(grapes), Luksosowa(potatoes), Teton Glacier(potatoes), Chopin(potatoes) if I drink vodka, wich is rare.

-Triple Sec and Grenadine are gluten-free as well. So enjoy your margaritas and tequila sunrises!

-Brandy/cognac/calvados/armagnac all gluten-free b/c made from grapes, same as wines

Basically, I stay away from the liquors I know contain gluten in their mash b/c I am too paranoid of being contaminated (been gluten-free for 6 yrs) and so far so good.

Any ?'s, just ask me and I can probably find out. Sorry for the long post.

-Rob

Archived