This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol

rossi01

tarnalberry Community Regular
I have heard a lot of people saying that distilled liquors no matter the source are ok to drink. I still will not chance it though until I have proof that the wheat/barley is COMPLETELY eaten up by the yeast during fermentation. I really don't think it is, but I am going down to Jack Daniel's distillery in September so I will ask the hard questions there.

Distillation and fermentation are two different processes. Yeast is not involved in distillation. Distillation is a mechanical process where portions of a compound liquid, which have different vapor pressures, migrate through specially prepared tubes of equipment which are set to different temperatures. Only molecules of a particular vapor pressure (and hence, size) can make it through particular portions of the distillation apparatus. (Many chemistry labs in high school and college to distillation experiments, so if you have an old chem textbook, there may be a description in there.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LqrMan Newbie

Thanks for the info Tiffany. You are correct about distillation, however, fermentation is the key to the production of alcohol. All alcoholic beverages must be fermented. After fermentation has taken place, then distillation is next.

lovegrov Collaborator

Fermentation then distillation is correct but nobody is claiming all the gluten is "eaten up" during fermentation. It isn't. It's the distillation part of the process that removes the gluten NOT the fermentation. Beer is not gluten-free because it's not distilled.

I know many people with celiac who drink distilled liquor that has wheat, barley or rye.

richard

cdford Contributor

At $3.25 a bottle, you Canadians are sure not to drink too much!

By the way, a little wine will actually help symptoms for me. I am a teetotaler other times, but when my belly hurts I will sip a little wine. It really helps...or maybe I just don't mind as much???

• 9 months later...
RP4Me Newbie

If any of you are in the Midwest, Lakefront Brewery makes a new gluten-free beer that's really good. It's called New Grist, and it's made from sorghum. The brewery is located in Milwaukee, but I've found the beer at a Chicago liquor store.

• 3 months later...
aball2006 Newbie

i was wondering if anyone knew about everlast? i checked on the website but i could find anything that helped me. thanks

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Anyone know anything about flavored vodkas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jessers

So Triple Sec and Grenadine are gluten-free?????

munchkinette Collaborator

It's funny, beer was the first thing to make me sick. It has made me sick since high school- way before other gluten stuff did.

I generally drink cider when I'm at a pub. I like wine- if you have a Trader Joe's you can find lots of good cheap wines. The sulfites in red wines bother me, but it isn't gluten.

I also drink a lot of rum and tequila drinks, but watch out for stuff like margarita mix. I don't trust that stuff. Distilled liquor is generally ok, but for some reason vodka also makes me really sick.

Duck-Goose21 Newbie

PLEASE, I love Amaretto sours, carmel apple shots, finger me good shots and anything Vodka, Crown Royal, Pucker, Disaronno, Buttershots, JackDaniels, the Three Wisemen shot, Turkey 101,(Wild Turkey & Bacardi 151) please anyone let me know what is and what isn't off limits?!?!? :wacko:

• 6 months later...
sallyterpsichore Explorer

I'm checking right now on a cider called "Original Sin" that's really tasty. It's made in NY, but they have it here in Boston (Cambridge especially) as well as Michigan and a few others.

I'll update this when I get an answer.

In terms of vodka, my doc said any vodkas are fine, since they're all distilled. So, while the potato vodkas are super tasty, they're expensive, and all the cheap folk out there like myself will appreciate being able to buy Smirnoff (or the crap in the plastic bottles, if they so desire)!

Will update,

Sally

sallyterpsichore Explorer
I'm checking right now on a cider called "Original Sin" that's really tasty. It's made in NY, but they have it here in Boston (Cambridge especially) as well as Michigan and a few others.

I'll update this when I get an answer.

In terms of vodka, my doc said any vodkas are fine, since they're all distilled. So, while the potato vodkas are super tasty, they're expensive, and all the cheap folk out there like myself will appreciate being able to buy Smirnoff (or the crap in the plastic bottles, if they so desire)!

Will update,

Sally

Yay, it is safe! "thanks for the e-mail. O.Sin is gluten-free. we use only apples and

champagne yeast - no artificial flavors or colors. we do add sulfites

and sorbate to stabilize the product. we do need to add the info to

our site."

• 3 weeks later...
noucha Apprentice

ive been a coeliac for nearly 2 years now and recently drunk southerncomfort and was very sick, im wondering if this has any glluten in it or if it was something else i ate?i was also curious about johnny walker,jack daniels and jim beam as i cant find out their ingredients on the internet.thanks

• 4 weeks later...
slcceliac Rookie

I stick to tequilla, rum, wine and gluten-free beer. Vodka does not sit well with me (prolly non gluten related). When I hang out at the bar, I am also slightly concerned about CC ( All of the used glasses and steins are washed in the same soapy water ).

What drinks/mixers are off limits, other than obviously most beers. I have not heard of any mixed drink that celiacs should stay away from...

cchhrriiss Newbie

Redbridge beer is gluten free (see side bar). Luksvowia vodka is made 100% potato, no grains

• 2 weeks later...
jmd3 Contributor
Hey everyone!

I graduated college 2 yrs ago, but didn't do much drinking because of the whole celiac thing. Now, I work for a wine and liquor distributor! What a coincidence right?!

Basically, I stay away from the liquors I know contain gluten in their mash b/c I am too paranoid of being contaminated (been gluten-free for 6 yrs) and so far so good.

Any ?'s, just ask me and I can probably find out. Sorry for the long post.

-Rob

DO you know anything about the flavored Rums?? I used to drink some coconut rum...Perhaps, malibu is gluten-free do you know?? I have not had any alcohol for over 7 months, thinking I might like to have one some warm summer evening!

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
kdsully Newbie

Do you happen to know if Malibu coconut rum is gluten-free, or of any gluten-free coconut rum??

[

quote name='LqrMan' date='May 25 2005, 11:41 PM' post='43852']

Hey everyone!

I graduated college 2 yrs ago, but didn't do much drinking because of the whole celiac thing. Now, I work for a wine and liquor distributor! What a coincidence right?!

I have heard a lot of people saying that distilled liquors no matter the source are ok to drink. I still will not chance it though until I have proof that the wheat/barley is COMPLETELY eaten up by the yeast during fermentation. I really don't think it is, but I am going down to Jack Daniel's distillery in September so I will ask the hard questions there.

Some things I learned while working for a liquor distributor:

-Rums are probably all safe. Dark/Gold rums get their color (most always) from being aged in oak barrels. There are a few rums (Goslings-black rum) that is probably colored, but I did not have a problem with it.

-Tequilas- I believe all tequilas are gluten-free. The cheaper tequilas are called mixto-Jose Cuervo/Pepe Lopez/etc (51% agave and 49% other spirits- usually sugar derived) so they are okay as well

-Southern Comfort- One of the brands I represent. I asked some brand managers if it is gluten free and got a YES back from them. I have had it a few times since and I got a headache the first time i drank it (I usually do not get headaches). I will let you know officially because I also inquired about possible caramel color that is added.

-Vodka-I stick to Ciroc(grapes), Luksosowa(potatoes), Teton Glacier(potatoes), Chopin(potatoes) if I drink vodka, wich is rare.

-Triple Sec and Grenadine are gluten-free as well. So enjoy your margaritas and tequila sunrises!

-Brandy/cognac/calvados/armagnac all gluten-free b/c made from grapes, same as wines

Basically, I stay away from the liquors I know contain gluten in their mash b/c I am too paranoid of being contaminated (been gluten-free for 6 yrs) and so far so good.

Any ?'s, just ask me and I can probably find out. Sorry for the long post.

-Rob

Lisa Mentor

Thanks Rob, I am sure that was helpful to alot of people.

psawyer Proficient

It is generally accepted in North America that caramel color is safe. Mostly it is derived from corn, but even if it isn't, the processing involved eliminates any gluten from the final product. I said "generally accepted," and I fully expect Steve Lord (gfp) to jump in here and disagree. Steve and I agree to disagree on the safety of some things.

Most experts now believe that distillation removes gluten. Again, Steve disagrees with all those experts.

Draw you own conclusion. I don't worry about caramel color, and I consider distilled alcohol and vinegar to be safe regardless of origin. Your mileage may vary :lol: .

Lisa Mentor

Thank you Peter for your constant sensibility.

psawyer Proficient
Thank you Peter for your constant sensibility.

Thanks, Lisa.

Peter

• 1 year later...
cassie524 Newbie

I just sent Smirnoff an email (5/18) and got this in reply:

;)

May 18, 2008

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for taking time to contact Smirnoff. Your feedback is important to

us.

In regards to your recent inquiry, here is a direct list of our "gluten

free" Vodka products: Ciroc, Gordons, Popov, Relska, Smirnoff, Smirnoff

Black, All Smirnoff Twists, All Smirnoff Ice products (except Smirnoff Ice

Light) and Tanqueray Vodka, any of the products not listed may contain

traces of gluten.

Once again, thank you for contacting Smirnoff.

Sincerely,

A.J Cook

Smirnoff Consumer Representative

Smirnoff is clearly original - check out www.smirnoff.com to find out more

Check out www.thebar.com for fabulous drink recipes, party ideas and more

katiemk07 Newbie

Does anyone know anything about Hypnotiq?

• 3 months later...
bootin' gluten Newbie
if you live in Canada, you can get gluten-free Beer :D I just got some last week...cost me $3.25 a bottle...you gotta get 24 in a load and they are only good til March 2005. But worth it. They actually taste like beer..

And I've never had a problem with any vodka/rye/whiskey/rum..

~lisa~

Lisa, I am Canadian as well... What is this beer called and where do you get it? (I'm also a habs fan by the way).

psawyer Proficient
Lisa, I am Canadian as well... What is this beer called and where do you get it? (I'm also a habs fan by the way).

Lisa hasn't been on for a few weeks, but I believe that she was referring to Open Original Shared Link. As far as I know, it is the only gluten-free beer available in Canada. In Ontario, you can buy it at the government monopoly liquor store.

Archived