91 replies to this topic

#16 albapsyche

albapsyche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:27 PM

Here's a promo for this site. Under the safe and forbidden list section there is a list of alcohol that is safe for Celiacs with brand names and everything. I keep a copy in my cook book B) I do know that I can drink Peach schnapps and vodka without an issue and I love three-buck-Chuck from Trader Joe's. But who doesn't like wine that costs three dollars a bottle!!
Later.
*vere atque certe*

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Brittany

Brittany

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

I can't beleive i found this site - b/c all the questions i have are being discussed - and I had no idea what alcohol i could have so i was stuck with captian morgans only b/c i only knew i could have rum (not that there is anything wrong with that but...i like varaity ya i can't spell) everybody on this site is awsome
I'm new and I love wheat - tear - my mom is a chef and now everything i learned is useless - also i'm in college and can't afford to shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's - ya more than anybody wanted to know

#18 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:37 PM

Capn Morgan salways made my stomach go nuts -- I opted for Bacardi/7-Up with a lime -- good drink!

#19 joe2008

joe2008

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:43 AM

I'm allergic to all alchohol, it i too strong and I get bad hangovers...so I stick to weed and salvia

#20 noodlegurl

noodlegurl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:51 PM

Does anyone know whether Midori melon liqueur and Triple Sec liqueur is okay?
gluten-free Since January 2004

#21 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:04 AM

I am going to be going to a wedding this weekend....anyone have any suggestions on what to stay away from at the bar. One of my personal favorites is a malibu bay breeze, is that okay? thanks :)

#22 ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:24 AM

I know this is probably a stupid question but can we have smirnoff or bacardi that has malt in it? I accidentally had some the other day and had no problems and i have been gluten-free for 9 years and usually the littlest thing sets me off. Just wondering....
<3 Alexis
Gluten-Free since 1995

#23 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

The malt is made from barley and therefore is off limits. The gluten content is probably extremely small, but it's there.

richard

#24 tdrew

tdrew

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:55 PM

Here's the gluten-free alcohol list from Celiac.com:

http://tinyurl.com/4r7ej

Tom

#25 LqrMan

LqrMan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

Hey everyone!

I graduated college 2 yrs ago, but didn't do much drinking because of the whole celiac thing. Now, I work for a wine and liquor distributor! What a coincidence right?!

I have heard a lot of people saying that distilled liquors no matter the source are ok to drink. I still will not chance it though until I have proof that the wheat/barley is COMPLETELY eaten up by the yeast during fermentation. I really don't think it is, but I am going down to Jack Daniel's distillery in September so I will ask the hard questions there.

Some things I learned while working for a liquor distributor:
-Rums are probably all safe. Dark/Gold rums get their color (most always) from being aged in oak barrels. There are a few rums (Goslings-black rum) that is probably colored, but I did not have a problem with it.
-Tequilas- I believe all tequilas are gluten-free. The cheaper tequilas are called mixto-Jose Cuervo/Pepe Lopez/etc (51% agave and 49% other spirits- usually sugar derived) so they are okay as well
-Southern Comfort- One of the brands I represent. I asked some brand managers if it is gluten free and got a YES back from them. I have had it a few times since and I got a headache the first time i drank it (I usually do not get headaches). I will let you know officially because I also inquired about possible caramel color that is added.
-Vodka-I stick to Ciroc(grapes), Luksosowa(potatoes), Teton Glacier(potatoes), Chopin(potatoes) if I drink vodka, wich is rare.
-Triple Sec and Grenadine are gluten-free as well. So enjoy your margaritas and tequila sunrises!
-Brandy/cognac/calvados/armagnac all gluten-free b/c made from grapes, same as wines

Basically, I stay away from the liquors I know contain gluten in their mash b/c I am too paranoid of being contaminated (been gluten-free for 6 yrs) and so far so good.

Any ?'s, just ask me and I can probably find out. Sorry for the long post.

-Rob
Rob
27yrs old
Astoria, NY
Gluten-free since May 1999-- My 10 yr anniversary is coming up!
Lactose Intolerant since March 2006

#26 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

I have heard a lot of people saying that distilled liquors no matter the source are ok to drink. I still will not chance it though until I have proof that the wheat/barley is COMPLETELY eaten up by the yeast during fermentation. I really don't think it is, but I am going down to Jack Daniel's distillery in September so I will ask the hard questions there.

Distillation and fermentation are two different processes. Yeast is not involved in distillation. Distillation is a mechanical process where portions of a compound liquid, which have different vapor pressures, migrate through specially prepared tubes of equipment which are set to different temperatures. Only molecules of a particular vapor pressure (and hence, size) can make it through particular portions of the distillation apparatus. (Many chemistry labs in high school and college to distillation experiments, so if you have an old chem textbook, there may be a description in there.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#27 LqrMan

LqrMan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info Tiffany. You are correct about distillation, however, fermentation is the key to the production of alcohol. All alcoholic beverages must be fermented. After fermentation has taken place, then distillation is next.
Rob
27yrs old
Astoria, NY
Gluten-free since May 1999-- My 10 yr anniversary is coming up!
Lactose Intolerant since March 2006

#28 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:28 AM

Fermentation then distillation is correct but nobody is claiming all the gluten is "eaten up" during fermentation. It isn't. It's the distillation part of the process that removes the gluten NOT the fermentation. Beer is not gluten-free because it's not distilled.

I know many people with celiac who drink distilled liquor that has wheat, barley or rye.

richard

#29 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:04 AM

At $3.25 a bottle, you Canadians are sure not to drink too much!

By the way, a little wine will actually help symptoms for me. I am a teetotaler other times, but when my belly hurts I will sip a little wine. It really helps...or maybe I just don't mind as much???
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#30 RP4Me

RP4Me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

If any of you are in the Midwest, Lakefront Brewery makes a new gluten-free beer that's really good. It's called New Grist, and it's made from sorghum. The brewery is located in Milwaukee, but I've found the beer at a Chicago liquor store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: