91 replies to this topic

#31 aball2006

aball2006

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

i was wondering if anyone knew about everlast? i checked on the website but i could find anything that helped me. thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

Anyone know anything about flavored vodkas?
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#33 Guest_Jessers_*

Guest_Jessers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

So Triple Sec and Grenadine are gluten-free?????

#34 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

It's funny, beer was the first thing to make me sick. It has made me sick since high school- way before other gluten stuff did.

I generally drink cider when I'm at a pub. I like wine- if you have a Trader Joe's you can find lots of good cheap wines. The sulfites in red wines bother me, but it isn't gluten.

I also drink a lot of rum and tequila drinks, but watch out for stuff like margarita mix. I don't trust that stuff. Distilled liquor is generally ok, but for some reason vodka also makes me really sick.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#35 Duck-Goose21

Duck-Goose21

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

PLEASE, I love Amaretto sours, carmel apple shots, finger me good shots and anything Vodka, Crown Royal, Pucker, Disaronno, Buttershots, JackDaniels, the Three Wisemen shot, Turkey 101,(Wild Turkey & Bacardi 151) please anyone let me know what is and what isn't off limits?!?!? :wacko:

#36 sallyterpsichore

sallyterpsichore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

I'm checking right now on a cider called "Original Sin" that's really tasty. It's made in NY, but they have it here in Boston (Cambridge especially) as well as Michigan and a few others.

I'll update this when I get an answer.

In terms of vodka, my doc said any vodkas are fine, since they're all distilled. So, while the potato vodkas are super tasty, they're expensive, and all the cheap folk out there like myself will appreciate being able to buy Smirnoff (or the crap in the plastic bottles, if they so desire)!

Will update,
Sally

#37 sallyterpsichore

sallyterpsichore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

I'm checking right now on a cider called "Original Sin" that's really tasty. It's made in NY, but they have it here in Boston (Cambridge especially) as well as Michigan and a few others.

I'll update this when I get an answer.

In terms of vodka, my doc said any vodkas are fine, since they're all distilled. So, while the potato vodkas are super tasty, they're expensive, and all the cheap folk out there like myself will appreciate being able to buy Smirnoff (or the crap in the plastic bottles, if they so desire)!

Will update,
Sally

Yay, it is safe! "thanks for the e-mail. O.Sin is gluten-free. we use only apples and
champagne yeast - no artificial flavors or colors. we do add sulfites
and sorbate to stabilize the product. we do need to add the info to
our site."

#38 noucha

noucha

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

ive been a coeliac for nearly 2 years now and recently drunk southerncomfort and was very sick, im wondering if this has any glluten in it or if it was something else i ate?i was also curious about johnny walker,jack daniels and jim beam as i cant find out their ingredients on the internet.thanks

#39 slcceliac

slcceliac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

I stick to tequilla, rum, wine and gluten-free beer. Vodka does not sit well with me (prolly non gluten related). When I hang out at the bar, I am also slightly concerned about CC ( All of the used glasses and steins are washed in the same soapy water ).

What drinks/mixers are off limits, other than obviously most beers. I have not heard of any mixed drink that celiacs should stay away from...

#40 cchhrriiss

cchhrriiss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

Redbridge beer is gluten free (see side bar). Luksvowia vodka is made 100% potato, no grains

#41 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hey everyone!

I graduated college 2 yrs ago, but didn't do much drinking because of the whole celiac thing. Now, I work for a wine and liquor distributor! What a coincidence right?!

Basically, I stay away from the liquors I know contain gluten in their mash b/c I am too paranoid of being contaminated (been gluten-free for 6 yrs) and so far so good.

Any ?'s, just ask me and I can probably find out. Sorry for the long post.

-Rob

DO you know anything about the flavored Rums?? I used to drink some coconut rum...Perhaps, malibu is gluten-free do you know?? I have not had any alcohol for over 7 months, thinking I might like to have one some warm summer evening!

Thanks in advance
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

#42 kdsully

kdsully

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

Do you happen to know if Malibu coconut rum is gluten-free, or of any gluten-free coconut rum??
[
quote name='LqrMan' date='May 25 2005, 11:41 PM' post='43852']
Hey everyone!

I graduated college 2 yrs ago, but didn't do much drinking because of the whole celiac thing. Now, I work for a wine and liquor distributor! What a coincidence right?!

I have heard a lot of people saying that distilled liquors no matter the source are ok to drink. I still will not chance it though until I have proof that the wheat/barley is COMPLETELY eaten up by the yeast during fermentation. I really don't think it is, but I am going down to Jack Daniel's distillery in September so I will ask the hard questions there.

Some things I learned while working for a liquor distributor:
-Rums are probably all safe. Dark/Gold rums get their color (most always) from being aged in oak barrels. There are a few rums (Goslings-black rum) that is probably colored, but I did not have a problem with it.
-Tequilas- I believe all tequilas are gluten-free. The cheaper tequilas are called mixto-Jose Cuervo/Pepe Lopez/etc (51% agave and 49% other spirits- usually sugar derived) so they are okay as well
-Southern Comfort- One of the brands I represent. I asked some brand managers if it is gluten free and got a YES back from them. I have had it a few times since and I got a headache the first time i drank it (I usually do not get headaches). I will let you know officially because I also inquired about possible caramel color that is added.
-Vodka-I stick to Ciroc(grapes), Luksosowa(potatoes), Teton Glacier(potatoes), Chopin(potatoes) if I drink vodka, wich is rare.
-Triple Sec and Grenadine are gluten-free as well. So enjoy your margaritas and tequila sunrises!
-Brandy/cognac/calvados/armagnac all gluten-free b/c made from grapes, same as wines

Basically, I stay away from the liquors I know contain gluten in their mash b/c I am too paranoid of being contaminated (been gluten-free for 6 yrs) and so far so good.

Any ?'s, just ask me and I can probably find out. Sorry for the long post.

-Rob
[/quote]

#43 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Rob, I am sure that was helpful to alot of people.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#44 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

It is generally accepted in North America that caramel color is safe. Mostly it is derived from corn, but even if it isn't, the processing involved eliminates any gluten from the final product. I said "generally accepted," and I fully expect Steve Lord (gfp) to jump in here and disagree. Steve and I agree to disagree on the safety of some things.

Most experts now believe that distillation removes gluten. Again, Steve disagrees with all those experts.

Draw you own conclusion. I don't worry about caramel color, and I consider distilled alcohol and vinegar to be safe regardless of origin. Your mileage may vary :lol: .
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#45 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Thank you Peter for your constant sensibility.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: