This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol

rossi01

larry mac Enthusiast

Hello KDawg,

Whenever I encounter this I'm always at a loss how to respond. All I can say is I'm sorry and I feel your pain. I've only been glutened a few times in almost 3 years, but I know it's no fun. Only once was it truly physically horrible. But there's also the mental anguish we Celiacs have to go through. You get the first symptoms and you start freaking out. How bad is it gonna be? I immediately take a high powered ($40 a bottle) digestive enzyme capsule, two Immodium AD's, and a hydrocodone pill, and hope for the best. :D

With all due respect, IMO, there's simply no logical reason why one would get glutened from ingesting grain based vodka, or McDonalds fries, or any other food items that theoretically should not contain detectable amounts of gluten. But, people do. There's just no gettin around it. I once thought it must be psychosomatic, or possible cross contamination. But I'm also not a big believer in cross contamination. Being somewhat of a scientist ( OK, really just a technician, but have worked in laboratories in numerous industries for almost 40 years), I admit the potential for cross contamination. But, it can't be a constant. Fritos may be contaminated, but not all the time. Only a small cross section could possibly be contaminated, if any at all (I picked Fritos because I worked there a long time ago). That's why I don't worry about products that are manufactured in a facility that also produces wheat ...etc. I think it's like when someone gets some kind of bite booboo, they always blame it on a spider. "A spider must have bit me". Well guess what? It's probably not always a spider! There are other insects that bite or sting. Not to mention other skin conditions.

I still suspect the mental aspect in many cases. Mind over matter and all that. It's undoubtably a very powerful force, at least with me. I absolutetly know when I'm really worried or stressed that my body feels sick. But, I also must recognize there are people that are just very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. It's unfortunate but appearently true. And in addition, they are probably even more susceptable to mental influences, given they are glutened more frequently and naturally have more to be worried about.

Best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
K-Dawg Explorer

Hey Im

Yah, I hear ya and I don't really know. I mean, I would not say with certainty that it wasn't psychosomatic...but I'm pretty rational and fully expected to be fine. Like you, I also eat mainstream products with no gluten added, but that are not certified gluten free (e.g. I eat some corn tortillas from a local grocery store, certain corn chips, Cambell's soups, Butterball...blah blah...and I eat at restaurants that are friendly for celiacs but that are not gluten free). Subsequently I probably eat trace amounts of gluten. But I am very serious about avoiding gluten.

I've had liver problems related to gluten and lost 30 pounds in 3 months (Nov and Dec08, Jan 09). I was a walking skeleton -- worse period of my entire life as I've never felt so ill (not to mention I was articling as well so I didn't have time for a failing liver). I thought I was dieing (my dr. thought I had cancer)...turns out I had celiac disease. I have JUST recently had my first normal liver panel since Nov 08 (clearly was not drinking while my liver panel was abnormal) and this confirms for me that my health depends on taking a gluten free diet seriously. So I"m not tempted by a good french pastry. I have no desire to eat something that will certainly contain gluten. Consequently, if I don't know for sure, I don't eat it. But I am not so 'rigid' that I won't eat food that is not certified gluten free.

Given the above, I felt comfortable drinking grain based vodka (it seemed to pose 0 risk). I'm at a loss about how/why I felt sick. Respecfully, I do know when I've been glutened...there is a particular and unique exhaustion that overcomes me as well as a brain fog that I don't experience otherwise. Ugh. But because I am logical I do appreciate that my symtoms may have been psychosomatic. Given the evidence regarding the distillation process, logic seems to dictate no other conclusion. However...there is still my gut instinct and my instincts (derived from knowledge & experience... not intuition) say "stay away from wheat based booze" (at least for now) so that's what I plan to do.

I agree, it should be fine. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed and I told her the same. I"ve also told her that for whatever reason, it seems to make me sick.

KDawg

Hello KDawg,

Whenever I encounter this I'm always at a loss how to respond. All I can say is I'm sorry and I feel your pain. I've only been glutened a few times in almost 3 years, but I know it's no fun. Only once was it truly physically horrible. But there's also the mental anguish we Celiacs have to go through. You get the first symptoms and you start freaking out. How bad is it gonna be? I immediately take a high powered ($40 a bottle) digestive enzyme capsule, two Immodium AD's, and a hydrocodone pill, and hope for the best. :D

With all due respect, IMO, there's simply no logical reason why one would get glutened from ingesting grain based vodka, or McDonalds fries, or any other food items that theoretically should not contain detectable amounts of gluten. But, people do. There's just no gettin around it. I once thought it must be psychosomatic, or possible cross contamination. But I'm also not a big believer in cross contamination. Being somewhat of a scientist ( OK, really just a technician, but have worked in laboratories in numerous industries for almost 40 years), I admit the potential for cross contamination. But, it can't be a constant. Fritos may be contaminated, but not all the time. Only a small cross section could possibly be contaminated, if any at all (I picked Fritos because I worked there a long time ago). That's why I don't worry about products that are manufactured in a facility that also produces wheat ...etc. I think it's like when someone gets some kind of bite booboo, they always blame it on a spider. "A spider must have bit me". Well guess what? It's probably not always a spider! There are other insects that bite or sting. Not to mention other skin conditions.

I still suspect the mental aspect in many cases. Mind over matter and all that. It's undoubtably a very powerful force, at least with me. I absolutetly know when I'm really worried or stressed that my body feels sick. But, I also must recognize there are people that are just very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. It's unfortunate but appearently true. And in addition, they are probably even more susceptable to mental influences, given they are glutened more frequently and naturally have more to be worried about.

Best regards, lm

• 8 months later...
creyinsota Newbie

Actually, there is a beer that Anheuser-Busch made especially for people with celiac disease. It's called Redbridge. Made with sorghum and it's organic. It was the first nationally available beer made without wheat or barley. I like it for the full flavor being a Budweiser guy for years, it works for me!

psipsina Rookie

As someone who understands the distillation process I always assumed that distilled liquors would have to be fine, as there would be no proteins in them. However repeated experience with grain based vodkas tells me otherwise. I get horribly sick from an amount of liquor that has never every caused that reaction in me, and my "hangover" lasts >1 week with all the symptoms I get when glutened including arthritis and migraines. Clearly something is going on and though I have no logical scientific explanation for it I feel like I need to listen to my body when the solution is really rather simple (limit the brands/types of spirits I consume). I know its not psychosomatic because it has occurred when I didn't know the brand I was drinking was grain vs potato derived (retrospective double blind study ;) n = 1). I usually figure out something is glutening me because I'm getting the symptoms and I start backtracking and figuring out what I took in that caused it. Once it was some figging lip gloss with wheat germ oil in it. The last few times it was clearly the vodka.

Pittrider07 Newbie

I've noticed everyone has pretty much covered all of the beers and ciders except for Bard's Beer. Not to be confused with Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold. I believe it is the same company, but i'm not sure they are still making Dragon's Gold. I enjoyed both beers and a friend who is not gluten free compared Bard's Beer to a Yuengling Black and Tan. I usually stick to Redbridge though since it is the cheapest.

• 1 month later...
Sayuri Newbie

Hey so i just started the gluten free diet about 2 years ago and its been very difficult trying to find alcohol to have because no one rely knows much about celiac where i am at least not anyone ive talked to...so ive had smirnoff ice, polar ice,malibu coconut rum before they didnt seem to bug me to much but it could just be because its all ive rely had to drink alcohol wise of what i like...are any of them gluten free or have i been screwing my body over with liquid gluten lol I usaly like coolers does any one know of any here in canada? And ive tried the new gluten free beer made with umm sorbum i forget what its called but it starts with an s lol and it wasnt very good..

kareng Grand Master

Hey so i just started the gluten free diet about 2 years ago and its been very difficult trying to find alcohol to have because no one rely knows much about celiac where i am at least not anyone ive talked to...so ive had smirnoff ice, polar ice,malibu coconut rum before they didnt seem to bug me to much but it could just be because its all ive rely had to drink alcohol wise of what i like...are any of them gluten free or have i been screwing my body over with liquid gluten lol I usaly like coolers does any one know of any here in canada? And ive tried the new gluten free beer made with umm sorbum i forget what its called but it starts with an s lol and it wasnt very good..

Have tried the "hard" ciders? I'm in the states but I know you have them too. They are sweet and appley.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sayuri Newbie

Have tried the "hard" ciders? I'm in the states but I know you have them too. They are sweet and appley.

No i havent but they sound good i like fruity drinks :) Im going to the LCBO tomorrow so ill take a look for them.

psawyer Proficient

No i havent but they sound good i like fruity drinks :) Im going to the LCBO tomorrow so ill take a look for them.

You should be able to find hard ciders at your LCBO.

If you are looking for gluten-free beer, most LCBO locations also carry La Messegere Blonde; some carry New Grist. La Messegere Rosso is listed by the LCBO, but you are more likely to find it at the Beer Store.

MTG Newbie

With all due respect, IMO, there's simply no logical reason why one would get glutened from ingesting grain based vodka, or McDonalds fries, or any other food items that theoretically should not contain detectable amounts of gluten. But, people do.

I know that that post is almost a year old but it got me thinking. Being one of those "very sensitive" Celiacs I do react to some distilled liquors based on wheat or rye (but I'm fine with the potato based ones). I know some celiacs can eat oats and generally those who can seem less susceptible cross contamination issues. (I have a really small sample here :) ) They can also drink those grain based spirits without problems. So basically the question is, those of you who can or can't drink gluten based spirits can you eat clean oats?

See the oat thing has been vexing me for a few years now. My sister is not a celiac but she get a "gluten like" reaction to oat. I am celiac and oats kill me but the thing is when I have eaten clean oats the reaction is slightly different compared to eating gluten. Less brain fog, more intense stomach pain. Longer onset before it get bad. Slower recovery. It's strange but I feel there is something about those oats. :D

(Sorry about the English, non native speaker here)

Sayuri Newbie

Sweet! Cus ive tried the New grist one and uhh it was grose i didnt like it at all lol

You should be able to find hard ciders at your LCBO.

If you are looking for gluten-free beer, most LCBO locations also carry La Messegere Blonde; some carry New Grist. La Messegere Rosso is listed by the LCBO, but you are more likely to find it at the Beer Store.

• 1 month later...
kayrae820 Newbie

I was wondering if the new fad, Four Loko was gluten free. Can't find anything about it online. Anyone know anything?

Aeva Rookie

Idk if anybody's tried it, but Redbridge is actually a fairly decent gluten-free beer. Even my bartender boyfriend agrees, and he's kind of a snob when it comes to that stuff. It's made from sorghum, which is (if I remember right) an African relative of corn. I'm not sure how readily available it is, but I know a lot of the speciality-type places (like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, DiCiccos for NY kids) carry it.

• 4 weeks later...
AngiePants Newbie

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good potato-based vodka readily available in Australia? I've had a fair bit of trouble finding one that I can be sure of (if only alcohol was subject to the same labelling laws as food!)

• 11 months later...
lizatmnsu Newbie

After recently turning 21 myself and being gluten free for just over a year, I wasn't sure what was safe or not either. I would reccomend taking a trip to a local liquer store and simply reading labels and/or talking to those working there, they tend to know a lot. I have found that most hard liquer is safe but I would still reccomend reading any labels before drinking as you never know. I do know that there is a brand of vodka that is not safe, but I can't remember what that is right now. I personally like Bailey's Strawberry Daqueries as they taste just like a strawberry sno cone.

• 9 months later...
Indigowolf Newbie

Hi Im new at this gluten-free stuff....Im a big fan of Vodka......any vodkas we can drink? certain brand for sure?

THANKS!!! ~LIZ~

Stolichnaya or stoli's Vodka is gluten free. I can't guarantee all flavors but the basic stuff is. There is one more brand that I know of but I can't remember the name at this time.

Oh wicked orchard hard cider brands are gluten free too.

Indigowolf Newbie

Hey Im

Yah, I hear ya and I don't really know. I mean, I would not say with certainty that it wasn't psychosomatic...but I'm pretty rational and fully expected to be fine. Like you, I also eat mainstream products with no gluten added, but that are not certified gluten free (e.g. I eat some corn tortillas from a local grocery store, certain corn chips, Cambell's soups, Butterball...blah blah...and I eat at restaurants that are friendly for celiacs but that are not gluten free). Subsequently I probably eat trace amounts of gluten. But I am very serious about avoiding gluten.

I've had liver problems related to gluten and lost 30 pounds in 3 months (Nov and Dec08, Jan 09). I was a walking skeleton -- worse period of my entire life as I've never felt so ill (not to mention I was articling as well so I didn't have time for a failing liver). I thought I was dieing (my dr. thought I had cancer)...turns out I had celiac disease. I have JUST recently had my first normal liver panel since Nov 08 (clearly was not drinking while my liver panel was abnormal) and this confirms for me that my health depends on taking a gluten free diet seriously. So I"m not tempted by a good french pastry. I have no desire to eat something that will certainly contain gluten. Consequently, if I don't know for sure, I don't eat it. But I am not so 'rigid' that I won't eat food that is not certified gluten free.

Given the above, I felt comfortable drinking grain based vodka (it seemed to pose 0 risk). I'm at a loss about how/why I felt sick. Respecfully, I do know when I've been glutened...there is a particular and unique exhaustion that overcomes me as well as a brain fog that I don't experience otherwise. Ugh. But because I am logical I do appreciate that my symtoms may have been psychosomatic. Given the evidence regarding the distillation process, logic seems to dictate no other conclusion. However...there is still my gut instinct and my instincts (derived from knowledge & experience... not intuition) say "stay away from wheat based booze" (at least for now) so that's what I plan to do.

I agree, it should be fine. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed and I told her the same. I"ve also told her that for whatever reason, it seems to make me sick.

KDawg

I get the brain fog symptoms and slight memory issues whenever I eat stuff that has gluten in it. I did find that stolichnaya vodka is gluten free so I recommend trying that.

Archived