Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Blood Test For Celiac

2 posts in this topic

My three year old has had GI problems as long as I can remember. We started food allergy testing about 4 months ago and have eliminated numerous things from his diet. We know for sure he has a problem with dairy because if he gets into any his diarrhea comes back. We also know that he has a problem with wheat because we tried adding that back into his diet a couple of weeks ago and he had stomach aches and green diarrhea/loose stools for over a week. We had blood drawn for a number of different tests, one of them was for celiac. The problem is, at the time of the test my son had been off gluten for about a month. So his pediatrician said he doesn't have Celiac. Here's my questions:

1) Would that test be accurate since he wasn't consuming gluten?

2) How much gluten do you have to be consuming when you have the test done?

3) For those of you with Celiac, how much ingested gluten will cause you to have a reaction? My son seems to react after stealing a handful of cereal.

Thank you,

My opinion-

1. No, doubt it was accurate.

2. Answers vary -

3. This varies for individuals but for many definitely enough gluten in handful of cereal to cause a reaction.

If you have seen improvement with the gluten-free diet, I would stick with it. Your son may be gluten sensitive or intolerant (not quite sure the difference myself) but not have intestinal damage or not have it yet which means most docs will not diagnose as celiac disease.