This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Digestive Enzymes Cause Nausea?

jlynn

jlynn Rookie

Hi everyone, I need some opinions. I was recently diagnosed with celiac sprue. I have been taking these Digestive Enzymes for about two months now with no problems. I have been gluten-free for three weeks. In the last week and a half, after taking them, I get terrible tummy ache and nausea. I even threw up two days ago. It says Gluten Free on the bottle. Do you think that my body is absorbing them differently after going gluten free? Does anyone else take them or get sick from taking them? Are they crucial to recovery? Thanks for comments!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

If they make your stomach hurt I would stop taking them. Several people have posted that they haven't been able to tolerate digestive enzymes, so you may be absorbing them differently and that may be causing a problem.

I take Digest Gold from Enzymedia (something like that) and they really help me.

I would think there are many more people that don't take them than people that do take them, so they aren't necessary for your recovery.

Trust your body, you may not understand why you can't tolerate them now, but I would definitely stop taking them if they are making you sick. You might try a probiotic or kefir (if you can handle dairy). Probiotics helped me a lot in the beginning.

Hope you feel better.

jlynn Rookie
If they make your stomach hurt I would stop taking them. Several people have posted that they haven't been able to tolerate digestive enzymes, so you may be absorbing them differently and that may be causing a problem.

I take Digest Gold from Enzymedia (something like that) and they really help me.

I would think there are many more people that don't take them than people that do take them, so they aren't necessary for your recovery.

Trust your body, you may not understand why you can't tolerate them now, but I would definitely stop taking them if they are making you sick. You might try a probiotic or kefir (if you can handle dairy). Probiotics helped me a lot in the beginning.

Hope you feel better.

Thank you cassidy!!

lorka150 Collaborator

Personally, I wouldn't stop.

My naturopath, combined with the instructions written on my enzyme, explained you have to ease in slowly, and for the first while, cycle your doses.

I was nauseated from them a little, and it did go away. Also, take your dose(s) with a meal.

kbtoyssni Contributor

This may be asking the obvious, but have you checked that they are gluten-free? I take acidopholis, and when I moved to a different state I bought a different brand and completely forgot to check their gluten-free status. And then I got sick... I'm currently auctioning off an almost-new bottle of gluten acidopholis to the highest bidder!

• 8 years later...
hayley3 Contributor

I know this is an old post but I bought Digest Gold and it makes me vomit everytime I take them.  I also did the same thing with a Garden of Life Product...So I am stumped trying to figure out why.  It takes several hours before it happens but this is the second time I tried to take them. 

Gemini Experienced

Digest Gold should not make you vomit so it is either an ingredient that does not agree with you or you may not need them.  These are gluten free supplements.

I know this sounds like a dumb question but are you making sure to take them only with meals?  They should never be taken away from food.  I took them for a number of years as I had pancreatic insufficiency and they did me a world of good!  I rarely need them now, after healing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hayley3 Contributor

lol Gemini that's not a dumb question.  I used to take some digestive enzymes and they said that if you take them between meals it digests inflammation so I didn't take them right away after I ate...so that might be it.  The company, I just talked to them, said to open up the pill and take a smaller amount.   However, right now I'm afraid to take them, after spending a couple hours vomiting last night.

But it did feel like my stomach was burning....so you might have the clue to my mystery...hehe  When I get up the nerve to try these again, I will do so but I wonder how I would be able to take a smaller portion..unless I sprinkle it on my food.

Gemini Experienced

Geezaloo.......digestive enzymes DO NOT digest inflammation, they digest food!  Let me tell you this....I went to a lecture given by the founder of Enzymedica. Don't get me wrong, I like their product and it is very good BUT as far as gluten is concerned and other dietary issues, the guy said some things that made my blood boil.  They have a product called Gluten Ease, which they claim can help people digest gluten better.  Well, it does just that because it is formulated with enzymes to break down carbs better BUT it is NEVER to be used by those with Celiac so they can eat small amounts of gluten.  It may help if you are accidentally glutened but it will not shut off the autoimmune reaction.......only time improves that.  The guy was clueless on real medical issues but their product is very good and that's why I used it.  I ran it by my doc and she said it contained everything needed for those who are a bit challenged in digestion.  I told the owner of the company that hosted the lecture that they needed to stick to proper use of their product and not try and be a doctor.   <_<

I needed enzymes because I had a lot of trouble digesting fats in the beginning of my diagnosis.  My gut was totally trashed and that can result in lower pancreatic enzymes being produced.  So, I used these enzymes and they really helped.  But you need to take them with your meal so they can do their intended job. They just give your body the added boost in enzymes to break your food down completely.  I only need them now when I eat a high fat meal, like fried food.  If you are having trouble digesting your food, you will know it.  Pain, bloating and then vomiting are common symptoms.  But if your gut burned and then you got sick, stop taking them and try them out again with a hard to digest meal, like meat or dairy.  Are you sure you actually need them?

hayley3 Contributor

I have a lot of muscle weakness...my muscles are disintegrating basically.  I read that SIBO can cause problems with digestion of fatty acids and amino acids and I see bits of stuff not digested in the BM so figured it would be a good idea.   When reading about how to heal the gut, they say that adding in a digestive enzyme is a good idea too.

• 4 weeks later...
hayley3 Contributor

So I did try the digestive enzymes with food.  One time I didn't vomit although my stomach wanted to, the next I vomited.  So no more enzymes for me.  Both times I ate a big meal and still I vomited.  It feels like it's burning in my stomach so not sure why I cannot take them.  It's very disappointing. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Does pineapple or papaya bother you? Look for the enzyme plant source. That might be the issue besides not taking them with plenty of food.

hayley3 Contributor

No pineapple doesn't bother me.

Oliveoil15 Newbie

This post just validated my son complains of nausea every time I give him digestive enzymes ! Wow. Good to know others similar symptoms . I've stopped it anyway and just stuck with probiotics . Well what happens if there is an accidental gluten exposure ? Should I try a different digestive enzyme brand ?

cyclinglady Grand Master

This post just validated my son complains of nausea every time I give him digestive enzymes ! Wow. Good to know others similar symptoms . I've stopped it anyway and just stuck with probiotics . Well what happens if there is an accidental gluten exposure ? Should I try a different digestive enzyme brand ?

Plenty of fluids, rest and easy-to-digest food for a few days or a week encourages healing from an accidental healing works best for me (and most people on this forum based on my observation).

• 4 weeks later...
hayley3 Contributor

I think because I'm allergic to dairy I cannot take enzymes that have lactase in them because I can take Pancreatin without any problems which digests proteins, starches and fats, so I am happy that FINALLY my problem is solved!  So sharing this in case it helps someone else.  :-)

• 3 years later...
CeeCeeee Newbie

I started digestive enzymes last week - 2 chewable after a meal ( following directions).  I don't get nauseous, but I feel like retching every time I take them.  Papaya and bromelain. So I guess I will have  to stop them,. I started because I have horrible GERD and don't want to take omazoprole.

• 1 year later...
EmH Newbie

Digestive enzymes definitely cause nausea and vomiting in some people. The nausea doesn’t happen until later after you take them. Today I took two and now it’s night time and my stomach hurts and has gas and burping with nausea. I took Nauzene to settle my stomach, and praying to just fall asleep. I can confirm this from the last time I was taking a bottle and noticed the same symptoms starting at night. I looked it up and found out that digestive enzymes can cause nausea and then stopped taking them and it went away. Especially if you take them many days in a row. After I sporadically used the last bottle with mixed results I bought a new brand which I read reviews and people said it didn’t do anything bad to their stomach but now after taking them for a couple days the same nighttime nausea is back, so I’m going to give up on using enzymes for digestion. I haven’t looked up found the reason why this happens yet, but it definitely does for some people. You can google nausea from digestive enzymes to read more for yourself. I’m thankful I haven’t actually thrown up like others. Anyways, I hope this helps someone!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Can you share which brand caused you nausea?