30 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

I seemed to have reached a plateau, no better, no worse.

I am thinking about eliminating dairy and see how that works. I think Jerry and I are kindred spirits.

What do you substitute for butter for cooking and flavoring?

Thanks, Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

When I was dairy free, I used coconut oil (actually, I still do) for almost everything. I used Ghee (clarified butter, but casein free) if I wanted the butter taste.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

When I was dairy free, I used coconut oil (actually, I still do) for almost everything. I used Ghee (clarified butter, but casein free) if I wanted the butter taste.

Thanks Carla

I don't think I can find coconut oil here and I have never heard of Ghee. Where do you find Ghee?

This might be hard, butter is my downfall.
Lisa

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

I bought ghee at Wild Oats. I got more used to coconut oil, though, and when I went back on dairy, continued the coconut oil. I'm like you though, I was hooked on butter. I even put coconut oil on my popcorn now. It has a side benefit of helping with any candida problems you might have, and there are other health benefits as well.

Any health food store should have coconut oil and might have ghee. If you have a gourmet food store, maybe they'd carry ghee ... I don't know.

Good luck finding it! There's always the internet!
gluten-free 12/05

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

Ghee (like Carla mentioned)

Some/one of the fleishman's margarines is dairy free, if I remember correctly.

Spectrum makes some spreads that are dairy free as well: http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=57

Smart Balance's buttery spreads are gluten and casein free (per the company, talked to them on the phone) but their cheese products have casein. (this is who I use)

Hope this helps!

#6 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

I think Earth Balance is the best tasting substitute for butter. It does contain soy though (not sure if you avoid soy or not).

I just use olive oil or coconut oil. Substituting coconut oil for butter in baked goods often works well .
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

Ghee: http://www.allergygr...oduct_Code=1003

this is the brand that I have, and have seen it at Whole Foods, and health food stores.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Girls:

As you may already know, we live in podunk, NC in a town of 6,000 peeps. I spend 10 minutes in the butter section and got in everyone's way......ug.

Most I saw had "Whey". Laura, you mentioned a few suggestions, but many have canola in them. I have read here that many do not do well with canola.

Maybe a short trip out of town to Farm Fresh or Harris Teeter will have Ghee, or a longer visit to the butter isle may produce some success.

The quest will continue.

AND, without butter, milk or cheese, what about calcium? I take a pretty good supplement, but I am high risk for osteo.....ghesh

You know, I love to read Jerry's post. His is so entertaining, genuine and considered family in my eyes, but I can relate to his frustration. Got the gluten down, now it's dairy 101.
Lisa

#9 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

Its frustrating (and you know that I have "been there, done that" with food issues).

I would say its worth a shot...not everyone has a prob with canola oil...never know til you try :) Once you start eliminating more than casein and gluten, finding a butter substitute is pretty limited besides ghee and a coconut type shortening. (I spent countless hours searching....gluten-free/cf/sf/eggf/cornf/taste free...ha!)

#10 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

Fleischman's Light margarine is gluten/casein/soy free. I'm pretty sure Fleischman's unsalted sticks of margarine are gluten/casein free. I used to buy that but now we avoid soy so I can't.

I use that margarine, coconut oil, and olive oil depending on what I'm using it for. I also use shortening instead of butter in cookies.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

Fleischman's Light margarine is gluten/casein/soy free. I'm pretty sure Fleischman's unsalted sticks of margarine are gluten/casein free. I used to buy that but now we avoid soy so I can't.

I use that margarine, coconut oil, and olive oil depending on what I'm using it for. I also use shortening instead of butter in cookies.

oooooh, Fleichman's may be available. Yeah, back to the butter isle. Have you ever had Danish Butter, just to die for.......nope, not going there. <_<

Thanks
Lisa

#12 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

AND, without butter, milk or cheese, what about calcium? I take a pretty good supplement, but I am high risk for osteo.....ghesh

Just make sure to eat plenty of vegetables, especially greens. Almonds are a good source of calcium as well.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#13 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

Canola oil??? Did I miss a memo or something? Is canola oil really a common problem for celiacs? Why? (For the record, it doesn't cause me any problems as far as I can tell.)

Jeanne

#14 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:30 PM

For the greens ... I chop them up and add them to everything! I'll put them in chili, rice, casseroles, stir fry, etc. Kids don't particularly like them plain, but in something, everyone's getting their calcium and hardly even notice the greens.

Don't just use spinach ... the calcium is there, but is unavailable due to a chemical in the spinach.

Just think, the cows get their calcium from grass!! ;) Also, countries with the highest dairy consumption are the ones with the highest osteoporosis rate. :blink: My guess -- overeating of protein ... I mean, we need protein, but when's the last time you only ate a serving as big as your hand minus the fingers?

My grandma lives in Waynesville, NC ... she has a nice health food store there that she goes to ... too bad you're not near there. If I were you, I'd order a jar of coconut oil and a jar of ghee. Decide whether you like it, then order a case of whichever you prefer, or both!!
gluten-free 12/05

#15 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:37 PM

Canola oil??? Did I miss a memo or something? Is canola oil really a common problem for celiacs? Why? (For the record, it doesn't cause me any problems as far as I can tell.)

Jeanne

Jeanne: I think this was a reference for people who have multiple food intolerances, that sometimes things like canola (and other oil sources) can cause problems. In terms of Celiac, it is safe. And to my knowledge, there is no link between Celiac and canola (i.e., like Celiac and lactose). I think it was just meant in terms of anecdotal evidence on the board.

Lisa: You can find Smart Balance as easily as Fleishmanns. Smart Balance is different than the brand that Mango mentioned (Earth Balance).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: