This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those Who Are Dairy Free

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

I seemed to have reached a plateau, no better, no worse.

I am thinking about eliminating dairy and see how that works. I think Jerry and I are kindred spirits.

What do you substitute for butter for cooking and flavoring?

Thanks, Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

When I was dairy free, I used coconut oil (actually, I still do) for almost everything. I used Ghee (clarified butter, but casein free) if I wanted the butter taste.

Lisa Mentor
When I was dairy free, I used coconut oil (actually, I still do) for almost everything. I used Ghee (clarified butter, but casein free) if I wanted the butter taste.

Thanks Carla

I don't think I can find coconut oil here and I have never heard of Ghee. Where do you find Ghee?

This might be hard, butter is my downfall.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I bought ghee at Wild Oats. I got more used to coconut oil, though, and when I went back on dairy, continued the coconut oil. I'm like you though, I was hooked on butter. I even put coconut oil on my popcorn now. It has a side benefit of helping with any candida problems you might have, and there are other health benefits as well.

Any health food store should have coconut oil and might have ghee. If you have a gourmet food store, maybe they'd carry ghee ... I don't know.

Good luck finding it! There's always the internet!

happygirl Collaborator

Ghee (like Carla mentioned)

Some/one of the fleishman's margarines is dairy free, if I remember correctly.

Spectrum makes some spreads that are dairy free as well: Open Original Shared Link

Smart Balance's buttery spreads are gluten and casein free (per the company, talked to them on the phone) but their cheese products have casein. (this is who I use)

Hope this helps!

Mango04 Enthusiast

I think Earth Balance is the best tasting substitute for butter. It does contain soy though (not sure if you avoid soy or not).

I just use olive oil or coconut oil. Substituting coconut oil for butter in baked goods often works well .

happygirl Collaborator

Ghee: Open Original Shared Link

this is the brand that I have, and have seen it at Whole Foods, and health food stores.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Thanks Girls:

As you may already know, we live in podunk, NC in a town of 6,000 peeps. I spend 10 minutes in the butter section and got in everyone's way......ug.

Most I saw had "Whey". Laura, you mentioned a few suggestions, but many have canola in them. I have read here that many do not do well with canola.

Maybe a short trip out of town to Farm Fresh or Harris Teeter will have Ghee, or a longer visit to the butter isle may produce some success.

The quest will continue.

AND, without butter, milk or cheese, what about calcium? I take a pretty good supplement, but I am high risk for osteo.....ghesh

You know, I love to read Jerry's post. His is so entertaining, genuine and considered family in my eyes, but I can relate to his frustration. Got the gluten down, now it's dairy 101.

happygirl Collaborator

Its frustrating (and you know that I have "been there, done that" with food issues).

I would say its worth a shot...not everyone has a prob with canola oil...never know til you try :) Once you start eliminating more than casein and gluten, finding a butter substitute is pretty limited besides ghee and a coconut type shortening. (I spent countless hours searching....gluten-free/cf/sf/eggf/cornf/taste free...ha!)

celiacgirls Apprentice

Fleischman's Light margarine is gluten/casein/soy free. I'm pretty sure Fleischman's unsalted sticks of margarine are gluten/casein free. I used to buy that but now we avoid soy so I can't.

I use that margarine, coconut oil, and olive oil depending on what I'm using it for. I also use shortening instead of butter in cookies.

Lisa Mentor
Fleischman's Light margarine is gluten/casein/soy free. I'm pretty sure Fleischman's unsalted sticks of margarine are gluten/casein free. I used to buy that but now we avoid soy so I can't.

I use that margarine, coconut oil, and olive oil depending on what I'm using it for. I also use shortening instead of butter in cookies.

oooooh, Fleichman's may be available. Yeah, back to the butter isle. Have you ever had Danish Butter, just to die for.......nope, not going there. <_<

Thanks

Mango04 Enthusiast
AND, without butter, milk or cheese, what about calcium? I take a pretty good supplement, but I am high risk for osteo.....ghesh

Just make sure to eat plenty of vegetables, especially greens. Almonds are a good source of calcium as well.

jnclelland Contributor

Canola oil??? Did I miss a memo or something? Is canola oil really a common problem for celiacs? Why? (For the record, it doesn't cause me any problems as far as I can tell.)

Jeanne

CarlaB Enthusiast

For the greens ... I chop them up and add them to everything! I'll put them in chili, rice, casseroles, stir fry, etc. Kids don't particularly like them plain, but in something, everyone's getting their calcium and hardly even notice the greens.

Don't just use spinach ... the calcium is there, but is unavailable due to a chemical in the spinach.

Just think, the cows get their calcium from grass!! ;) Also, countries with the highest dairy consumption are the ones with the highest osteoporosis rate. :blink: My guess -- overeating of protein ... I mean, we need protein, but when's the last time you only ate a serving as big as your hand minus the fingers?

My grandma lives in Waynesville, NC ... she has a nice health food store there that she goes to ... too bad you're not near there. If I were you, I'd order a jar of coconut oil and a jar of ghee. Decide whether you like it, then order a case of whichever you prefer, or both!!

happygirl Collaborator
Canola oil??? Did I miss a memo or something? Is canola oil really a common problem for celiacs? Why? (For the record, it doesn't cause me any problems as far as I can tell.)

Jeanne

Jeanne: I think this was a reference for people who have multiple food intolerances, that sometimes things like canola (and other oil sources) can cause problems. In terms of Celiac, it is safe. And to my knowledge, there is no link between Celiac and canola (i.e., like Celiac and lactose). I think it was just meant in terms of anecdotal evidence on the board.

Lisa: You can find Smart Balance as easily as Fleishmanns. Smart Balance is different than the brand that Mango mentioned (Earth Balance).

Cottage-Soul Apprentice

You can make your own Ghee easily.

Open Original Shared Link

I made some yesterday but haven't tried it yet.

Lisa Mentor
Jeanne: I think this was a reference for people who have multiple food intolerances, that sometimes things like canola (and other oil sources) can cause problems. In terms of Celiac, it is safe. And to my knowledge, there is no link between Celiac and canola (i.e., like Celiac and lactose). I think it was just meant in terms of anecdotal evidence on the board.

Lisa: You can find Smart Balance as easily as Fleishmanns. Smart Balance is different than the brand that Mango mentioned (Earth Balance).

On a hunt for Smart Balance. Last nights challenge was Oyster Stew, with 1/2 and 1/2, butter , L&P Worst. and St. Andre Cheese on gluten-free Crackers. Results in reaction 24 hours later. Nothin' gluten about it.

What a wonderful field of friends we have here. Ask it, and they will come. :)

Juliebove Rising Star

I've been afraid to try ghee. I had some but threw it out. All I know is my daughter and I have a dairy allergy. I don't know that it's specifically casein. And we seem to be very sensitive to even a speck of something we shouldn't have.

I generally use olive oil, corn oil or coconut oil these days. Olive works well for most things. If I am making a large quantity of something to take to the school for instance, I will use corn oil because it's cheaper. Except for last year when there was a boy in my daughter's class with a corn allergy. Coconut oil is more expensive but I love it for popping popcorn and for using in most all sweet foods. I used to pop my corn in olive oil but the lady at the health food store convinced me that coconut oil was better for me. I've had it spread on a cracker or some bread and it has a buttery taste to me. But then I've been off of real butter for over a year now so I may have forgotten the true taste.

I've yet to find a margarine I can use. Daughter is allergic to soy and I shouldn't have it because it messes with my thyroid. So far the only ones I can find have soy in them. I've heard there are some kosher products out at certain times of the year that are soyless but they taste bad. Or so I've been told.

lonewolf Collaborator

I've been looking for a dairy-free, soy-free, non-hydrogenated margarine for almost 11 years with no luck. I cheat with butter, since my reaction to soy is worse than small amounts of dairy, but would love to find something to take its place. I use coconut oil, olive oil, Spectrum organic shortening and occasionally grapeseed or almond oil.

Nancym Enthusiast

Ghee you can make yourself from butter, just google for instructions. Things you think you can't find locally you can always order over the internet, that's how I got my stuff like coconut flour and coconut oil and other exotic ingredients. Google provides. :)

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Dumb question... and an unintended "thread-jack" - but... how do you use coconut oil?? What benefits does it have with regards to Candida?

I walk by the coconut oil in Whole Foods and I stare at it.... thinking, it must be good for something! Do you cook with it, as is?

Obviously... I'm clueless.

lonewolf Collaborator
how do you use coconut oil?? What benefits does it have with regards to Candida?

We use it for popping popcorn - gives it a movie theater texture. I also melt it and put it in brownies, cakes, waffles and muffins. I personally don't like to make cookies with it - they come out greasy.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
We use it for popping popcorn - gives it a movie theater texture. I also melt it and put it in brownies, cakes, waffles and muffins. I personally don't like to make cookies with it - they come out greasy.

So, it's a solid in the container??

Do you replace the other "oils" with it? Or... add it in addition??

Yenni Enthusiast

Not Jeanne but...I had no idea about the Canola possebly beinga problem. What do you all use when making popcorn? Oil I mean.

That Ghee sounds interesting. "Free of Wheat, Gluten, Lactose, Casein, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Egg, Soy, Corn, Rice, Potato, Sugar, Yeast, Sesame" I wonder what is left in there... ;) I migh have to try that.

I usually use Olive oil for cooking and I bought some Canola and Coconut oil to use for baking. I tried that Spectrum stuff too once. Maybe I should stop using the Canola oil. I had popcorn a couple of weeks ago and got nasueas after. Maybe it wasn't the corn but the Canola..

RiceGuy Collaborator

Though I much prefer coconut oil, it is quite expensive. I'd never touch the cheap ones either, which are referred to as RBD oils - that is, Refined, Bleached, and Deodorized. The only truly good ones I know are extracted by centrifuge.

Coconut oil and coconut butter are the same thing. This is because the oil melts at about 76 degrees. It is great for cooking, backing, and of course as a spread. I found it much more versatile than anything else I've used. Tastes great on everything I put it on. But because it will be a solid when below 76 degrees, it's not suitable for a cold salad or other cold dishes, unless blended with another oil.

As for margarines, Earth Balance buttery sticks taste like butter (from what I recall of butter). Fleischmann's unsalted sticks are dairy free, and relatively cheap, but seem to be on the soft side for a stick IMHO.

Archived