Cottage_Soul

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

You can make your own Ghee easily.

http://www.mothernat...Books/21/11.cfm

I made some yesterday but haven't tried it yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

Jeanne: I think this was a reference for people who have multiple food intolerances, that sometimes things like canola (and other oil sources) can cause problems. In terms of Celiac, it is safe. And to my knowledge, there is no link between Celiac and canola (i.e., like Celiac and lactose). I think it was just meant in terms of anecdotal evidence on the board.

Lisa: You can find Smart Balance as easily as Fleishmanns. Smart Balance is different than the brand that Mango mentioned (Earth Balance).

On a hunt for Smart Balance. Last nights challenge was Oyster Stew, with 1/2 and 1/2, butter , L&P Worst. and St. Andre Cheese on gluten-free Crackers. Results in reaction 24 hours later. Nothin' gluten about it.

What a wonderful field of friends we have here. Ask it, and they will come. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#18 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

I've been afraid to try ghee. I had some but threw it out. All I know is my daughter and I have a dairy allergy. I don't know that it's specifically casein. And we seem to be very sensitive to even a speck of something we shouldn't have.

I generally use olive oil, corn oil or coconut oil these days. Olive works well for most things. If I am making a large quantity of something to take to the school for instance, I will use corn oil because it's cheaper. Except for last year when there was a boy in my daughter's class with a corn allergy. Coconut oil is more expensive but I love it for popping popcorn and for using in most all sweet foods. I used to pop my corn in olive oil but the lady at the health food store convinced me that coconut oil was better for me. I've had it spread on a cracker or some bread and it has a buttery taste to me. But then I've been off of real butter for over a year now so I may have forgotten the true taste.

I've yet to find a margarine I can use. Daughter is allergic to soy and I shouldn't have it because it messes with my thyroid. So far the only ones I can find have soy in them. I've heard there are some kosher products out at certain times of the year that are soyless but they taste bad. Or so I've been told.

#19 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

I've been looking for a dairy-free, soy-free, non-hydrogenated margarine for almost 11 years with no luck. I cheat with butter, since my reaction to soy is worse than small amounts of dairy, but would love to find something to take its place. I use coconut oil, olive oil, Spectrum organic shortening and occasionally grapeseed or almond oil.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#20 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

Ghee you can make yourself from butter, just google for instructions. Things you think you can't find locally you can always order over the internet, that's how I got my stuff like coconut flour and coconut oil and other exotic ingredients. Google provides. :)

#21 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Dumb question... and an unintended "thread-jack" - but... how do you use coconut oil?? What benefits does it have with regards to Candida?

I walk by the coconut oil in Whole Foods and I stare at it.... thinking, it must be good for something! Do you cook with it, as is?

Obviously... I'm clueless.
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#22 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

how do you use coconut oil?? What benefits does it have with regards to Candida?

We use it for popping popcorn - gives it a movie theater texture. I also melt it and put it in brownies, cakes, waffles and muffins. I personally don't like to make cookies with it - they come out greasy.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#23 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

We use it for popping popcorn - gives it a movie theater texture. I also melt it and put it in brownies, cakes, waffles and muffins. I personally don't like to make cookies with it - they come out greasy.

So, it's a solid in the container??

Do you replace the other "oils" with it? Or... add it in addition??
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#24 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

Jeanne: I think this was a reference for people who have multiple food intolerances, that sometimes things like canola (and other oil sources) can cause problems. In terms of Celiac, it is safe. And to my knowledge, there is no link between Celiac and canola (i.e., like Celiac and lactose). I think it was just meant in terms of anecdotal evidence on the board.

Not Jeanne but...I had no idea about the Canola possebly beinga problem. What do you all use when making popcorn? Oil I mean.

That Ghee sounds interesting. "Free of Wheat, Gluten, Lactose, Casein, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Egg, Soy, Corn, Rice, Potato, Sugar, Yeast, Sesame" I wonder what is left in there... ;) I migh have to try that.

I usually use Olive oil for cooking and I bought some Canola and Coconut oil to use for baking. I tried that Spectrum stuff too once. Maybe I should stop using the Canola oil. I had popcorn a couple of weeks ago and got nasueas after. Maybe it wasn't the corn but the Canola..
One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)
Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

#25 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

Though I much prefer coconut oil, it is quite expensive. I'd never touch the cheap ones either, which are referred to as RBD oils - that is, Refined, Bleached, and Deodorized. The only truly good ones I know are extracted by centrifuge.

Coconut oil and coconut butter are the same thing. This is because the oil melts at about 76 degrees. It is great for cooking, backing, and of course as a spread. I found it much more versatile than anything else I've used. Tastes great on everything I put it on. But because it will be a solid when below 76 degrees, it's not suitable for a cold salad or other cold dishes, unless blended with another oil.

As for margarines, Earth Balance buttery sticks taste like butter (from what I recall of butter). Fleischmann's unsalted sticks are dairy free, and relatively cheap, but seem to be on the soft side for a stick IMHO.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#26 IrishGirl71

IrishGirl71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

Lisa: You can find Smart Balance as easily as Fleishmanns. Smart Balance is different than the brand that Mango mentioned (Earth Balance).

For anyone who is ok with using Canola, I've had great results with "Canolio" margarine, which is 100% canola. Among other stores, I've found it at Stop & Shop in their (albeit limited) organic food section. And I like the taste, too!

#27 Jo.R

Jo.R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:10 AM

How about Nucoa. When we tried a casein free diet with my daughter that was what we used. I personally don't have knowledge about the gluten, but I have seen it listed as OK.
Stomach problems began November of 2005
Gall bladder removed April 2006
Positive Blood test October 2006
Refused endoscope
Gluten-free since January 21, 2007
Positive reaction to diet

The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21b

#28 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

Another dairy-free margarine if Willow Run, made by Shedd's. I haven't tried it, and it has more trans fat than the Fleischmann's. Earth Balance has no trans fats or hydrogenated oils.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#29 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

[quote name='RiceGuy' date='Feb 22 2007, 08:46 AM' post='272522']
Mothers Margarine is dairy & soy free!! =)
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#30 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

Mothers Margarine is dairy & soy free!! =)

Where do you get it? I've never seen it. Is it trans fat free too?
Liz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: