This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those Who Are Dairy Free

Lisa

IrishGirl71 Rookie
Jeanne: I think this was a reference for people who have multiple food intolerances, that sometimes things like canola (and other oil sources) can cause problems. In terms of Celiac, it is safe. And to my knowledge, there is no link between Celiac and canola (i.e., like Celiac and lactose). I think it was just meant in terms of anecdotal evidence on the board.

Lisa: You can find Smart Balance as easily as Fleishmanns. Smart Balance is different than the brand that Mango mentioned (Earth Balance).

For anyone who is ok with using Canola, I've had great results with "Canolio" margarine, which is 100% canola. Among other stores, I've found it at Stop & Shop in their (albeit limited) organic food section. And I like the taste, too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jo.R Contributor

How about Nucoa. When we tried a casein free diet with my daughter that was what we used. I personally don't have knowledge about the gluten, but I have seen it listed as OK.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Another dairy-free margarine if Willow Run, made by Shedd's. I haven't tried it, and it has more trans fat than the Fleischmann's. Earth Balance has no trans fats or hydrogenated oils.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Mothers Margarine is dairy & soy free!! =)

lonewolf Collaborator
Mothers Margarine is dairy & soy free!! =)

Where do you get it? I've never seen it. Is it trans fat free too?

waywardsister Newbie

As others have mentioned, you can make your own ghee (and it's simple and yummy!) For baking, I use ghee, coconut oil, almond oil or other nut oils and sometimes animal fats. For frying/sauteeing, mainly animal fats like lard, bacon drippings, duck fat etc. The good old fashioned fats we all used in the days BEFORE heart disease, cancer etc ;)

Avocado oil is nice too for both cooking (esp with meats) and on salads. And coconut oil is super for deep-frying; plus, you can use it as moisturizer and hair treatment so it's very economical stuff!

Archived