3 replies to this topic

#1 ponita

ponita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 05:53 AM

I've been on Zelnorm for 16 days. The product info warns against diarrhia problems but has anyone had the "opposite" reation to it? I am ready to start an elemination diet and stop the zelnorm. I am soo constipated, increased gas, bloating and abd. pain. I spoke with my doc who of course aggrees for me to stop the meds and have not had a pat. with constipation while on Zelmore.

What has been your experience with Zelnorm?

Melissa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:14 AM

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Zelnorm. I have not subjected my body to any drugs to cope with celiac disease symptoms. However, I found your post very interesting. I thought Zelnorm was supposed to RESOLVE symptoms of constipation, bloating, pain and gas. Your experience that Zelnorm exacerbated the very symptoms it's supposed to treat just reinforces my belief that the best way to resolve symptoms of food intolerances is to avoid those foods. Uncomfortable symptoms are our bodies' ways of telling us something is drastically wrong. Numbing those symptoms with drugs, rather than eliminating the cause, seems counterproductive.

My celiac disease symptoms were constipation, bloating, gas and excruciating abdominal pain. Eliminating gluten helped reduce everything but the constipation. Eliminating DAIRY resolved my longterm constipation problem. So I would encourage you to try eliminating dairy, if you haven't already.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 ponita

ponita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:42 PM

Thank you Burdee for your reply.
I have infact eliminated all dairy when I went gluten-free in June. What through me in a tailspin, so to say, was when I had a gluten-free zuchinni bread with corn syrup in it. I did not realize I would have such a reaction to the corn syrup.
I have managed myself well with docusaste sodium until this happened and started the zelnorm. What surprised me was the research I read on the zelnorm and the occurance of diarrhia and yes, this has exasterbated my symptoms, in the opposite way.
I have stopped the zelnorm and was curisous what others had to say. Thank you.

Melissa

#4 clanning

clanning

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:02 AM

I also have major problems w/ constipation. I also take Zelnorm, Nexium, and Kristalose.

The Zelnorm did nothing for me in the past 6 months and was using lots of OTC laxatives. But now that I have really tried to be strictly gluten-free (for a few months), the last 2 weeks I have noticed a BIG difference. But I also don't take the Zelnorm as prescribed. I take 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM. I'm not sure which is making the difference but it is making some progress.

I'm also having a test (someday) where you swallow radioactive rings. They take a series of x-rays for 3 days to see how well they are traveling through your system. They should be completly through your system by the 3rd day. I have a big motility problem also.

I have picked the brains of several GI doctors and get different answeres from them all. I sort of do what I want, what makes me feel the best. I just want to be able to go to the restroom and be comfortable, not miserable. I would keep taking them, but it's your choice.

I also think it has to do w/ the vili on the intestines.

I've also never tried avoid dairy.

Charlotte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: