8 replies to this topic

#1 gaynonna

gaynonna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

I was in Starbucks today getting my weekly coffee frappucino. The barista and I were just talking and gluten free came up in our conversation. I told her the reason I get the plain coffee frappucino was because of the gluten in mocha. She then reached down into the fridge and brought out a carton of the plain coffee frappucino mix and handed it to me. Right there on the carton, plain as day, maltodextrin was listed.

Before all of you panic, I have been reading about maltodextrin being safe if manufactured in the US because they use corn instead of wheat but if a product is made in any other country to beware. Also supplements (vitamins, etc) often made in other countries use wheat, not corn. I found this out about the supplements when I changed brands of Betaine HCI, a digestive supplement. The new brand I bought contained maltodextrin, obviously made in another country because suddenly I had the big D and as soon as I quit taking it and switched to my original brand the big D went away.

I would appreciate any info regarding Starbucks, because I really like their frappucinos

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

I have a Mocha Latte a couple of times a week (am allergic to casein, but addicted to my Latte). The Mocha is gluten free. I have bought the bottled Starbucks Fraps in the past and they are also gluten free.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#3 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

Very rarely is maltodextrin derived from wheat.

I am not a coffee drinker, but there are many Starbucks fans on this board, so I'm sure others will chime in.

#4 ReneCox

ReneCox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

I work at Starbucks. I just started so I do not know the answer yet. I'll print out this thread and bring it to work tommorow morning and find out for sure :)

#5 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

The only drinks at Starbucks that are NOT gluten free are the frapps with the chips in them. For that reason, if I get a frapp, I ask them to clean out the blender extra carefully for me.

As you said, in the US maltodextrin is safe.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#6 Guest_Norah022_*

Guest_Norah022_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

You may have gotten sick because of the dairy or something else in there because I have never gotten sick from the starbucks fraps as well as other things containing maltodextrin.

#7 ReneCox

ReneCox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

the mocha is def. gluten free.. I made some today at work and looked at the ingredients. The frapp mix is also. Like said before, avoid the chips and request to have the blender cleaned extra well! enjoy!

#8 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:00 AM

I was in Starbucks today getting my weekly coffee frappucino. The barista and I were just talking and gluten free came up in our conversation. I told her the reason I get the plain coffee frappucino was because of the gluten in mocha. She then reached down into the fridge and brought out a carton of the plain coffee frappucino mix and handed it to me. Right there on the carton, plain as day, maltodextrin was listed.

Before all of you panic, I have been reading about maltodextrin being safe if manufactured in the US because they use corn instead of wheat but if a product is made in any other country to beware. Also supplements (vitamins, etc) often made in other countries use wheat, not corn. I found this out about the supplements when I changed brands of Betaine HCI, a digestive supplement. The new brand I bought contained maltodextrin, obviously made in another country because suddenly I had the big D and as soon as I quit taking it and switched to my original brand the big D went away.

I would appreciate any info regarding Starbucks, because I really like their frappucinos

Thanks

Dear gaynonna,
CarlaB is right. All Starbucks Frapps are gluten free with the exception of the ones with chips! Maltodextrin in the U.S. is corn derived, so we are safe there. It is such good news these are okay. I am a coffee lover, so it is important.
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
P.S. I found out these drinks were safe by typing in gluten-free in SD and this site pops up. I do not live in San Diego, but the product updates section is essential for us.
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:05 AM

No matter where maltodextrin is made, if it's in a food or drink sold in the U.S., it MUST list wheat if that's what it's made from. That was a law even before the allergen law took effect. If the maltodextrin doesn't clearly indicate wheat, it's not made from wheat.

As far as I know this law does not apply to non-food or non-drink items.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: