This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Royal Carribbean Is Great!

gaynonna

gaynonna Rookie

Just got back from a 7 day western carribbean cruise on Royal Carribbean. The entire experience was wonderful! About 6 weeks before you sail, all you have to do is email them re your gluten issues. They don't have a gluten free menu per se, but I have never seen such an abundance of gluten free food all in one place! Fresh fruits, veges lean meats, cheeses etc. The list goes on and on. They do bake gluten free bread that is served only in the formal dining room, but we ate dinner there every evening and our waiter always made sure I had my bread (first one served, too! He made me feel special, not like a nuisance. He also advised me on ordering and steered me away from any potential gluten. I did not have ANY issues with gluten the entire cruise. Our waiter ( his name was Erwin and he is from Jamaica) let me take any of the gluten free bread from dinner that I didn't eat. I would take it to breakfast and have them toast is for me.

I highly recommend Royal Carribbean to anyone looking to take a gluten free vacation!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Good to hear you had such a great trip. When I was looking into cruises last summer, I decided if I went on one it would be on RC due to they said they accomodated gluten free diets. I am glad to hear that this was one worry free trip. It seems like you ate well :)

FreeTime Apprentice

Glad to hear this! We have only sailed on Disney before and they were awesome. But, I have a ressie for RCL for next March and have been concerned about what they will offer.

How were the desserts? Do they have cakes and brownies? My daughter is 7 and looked forward to having desserts just like everyone else had on Disney.

gaynonna Rookie

There were no gluten free desserts on RC. However, they always have fresh fruit. If you eat in the dining room they will try their best to accomodate you with something. If they can't, they always offer sherbert or sorbet. I did get the key lime cheesecake and ate the cheesecake part with no ill effects. I took along some packaged gluten-free goodies, but usually forgot to take them to meals. Hope you have a wonderful time. What ship will you be sailing on and from what port?

silly-yak-mum Apprentice

We also just returned from a RC cruise and I can't say enough about how great they were.

We always ate in the dining room and gluten-free bread was available at every meal.

The first night was a little tough because they were just figuring everything out but after that they made such a fuss over us!

We did bring small packages of salad dressing which made having a starter easier every night. We also brought small packages of gluten-free soy sauce which meant we could ask for plain rice. I baked brownies for dessert which my son had with the frozen yoghurt every night but... they did make him a special dessert every night. Jello was always available but they made a different mousse type dessert each night. There was also a Ben & Jerry's on board (extra charge) but I checked their website before we left and brought a list of flavours I knew were safe.

The fries weren't safe but our head waiter had the chef make hand made fries (cut up potatoes in separate oil) every night.

We can't wait until our next cruise!

• 1 month later...
EG+FC Apprentice

I'm going on a cruise this summer on the Enchantment of the sea, Royal Caribbean. I was just wondering what is there to eat during the day. Is there any places on the ship that has French fries? and what about the buffet, what is there to eat there?

dragonmom Apprentice

Check out the flourless chocolate cake on RC. It is really good. As a general rule I avoid Buffets because it is hard to determine exactly what is in everything, where as in the dining room, usually they recognize you and will help with your selections.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EG+FC Apprentice

Isn't the dining room only for dinner? what about breakfast and lunch, breakfast and snacks?

I know seeing all that food is going to be tempting.

cyberprof Enthusiast
Isn't the dining room only for dinner? what about breakfast and lunch, breakfast and snacks?

I know seeing all that food is going to be tempting.

On most cruises, including RC, you can go to the buffet at any time but if you want a meal, you can go to the dining room. The hours are more limited, but as a new celiac, I would expect that I would only go to the dining room and avoid the buffet if at all possible. The dining room food is a bit better and it only takes a little longer.

~Laura

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

This is great to hear. We are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in August.

Do you know anything about the burgers and hot dogs at lunch? I really dislike having to get dressed to go to the main dining room at lunchtime so I am looking for gluten-free sources for lunch and breakfast.

They didn't have ANY gluten-free desserts? I can't believe it. What about the creme brulee and flourless choc cake? We cruise alot (never before as a Celiac though) and I always look forward to my desserts since I don't eat them much at home. I don't know how I am going to avoid the temptation of those ranger coconut cookies. They are incredible.

If you have any more specific info re: the buffet, I'd love to hear it. Do you know if they have little packages of peanut butter and jelly? I could always take gluten-free bread from dinner to make PBJ sandwiches the next day. Thanks.

Jackie

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Man if they have Creme Brulee...count me in!!!! I love that! When we go to the ECOG conference in Washington I always get the Mariott's Creme Brulee....it might pricey but is it ever worth it.

once and again Rookie

Did a western caribbean week on RC in March. Bread was available at breakfst too. Just had to tell them my dinner table number - I didn't have it toasted - worried about the cross contamination. Did not have flourless chocolate cake but did have some other gluten free desserts, including creme brule. We did go to the buffets for lunch. The salad bar was kept well separated and I was careful not to take any ingredients where other ingredients were deposited. Also had some hot veggies that were grilled and sometimes would take some deli meats/cheeses to go with the sandwich. Also had slices of the daily "roast" - always without the gravies, sauces. All in all felt well through the whole trip and enjoyed the food while not pigging out. Was relieved at the end of the cruise only to have gained 2 lbs. Ate msotly seafood as dinner entrees. All very well prepared and seasoned.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I actually just decided yesterday that I'm going to go on a RC cruise in August. I was talking to my parents last weekend and they mentioned they were going. Half joking I said, maybe we'll come; and well now we're gonna go too!!

I knew that if you emailed them 45 days ahead of time they would have gluten free options for you, but from the sounds of these posts, sounds like it's more than just grilled chicken every night ;)

Can't wait!!

Do you think I should still bring some snacks for myself?

EG+FC Apprentice
I actually just decided yesterday that I'm going to go on a RC cruise in August. I was talking to my parents last weekend and they mentioned they were going. Half joking I said, maybe we'll come; and well now we're gonna go too!!

I knew that if you emailed them 45 days ahead of time they would have gluten free options for you, but from the sounds of these posts, sounds like it's more than just grilled chicken every night ;)

Can't wait!!

Do you think I should still bring some snacks for myself?

when in August are you going? bc I'm going in August too. I'm soo excited :)

jkmunchkin Rising Star
when in August are you going? bc I'm going in August too. I'm soo excited :)

August 20th, out of Miami. I forget the name of the ship, but it goes to Bahamas and Key West.

When are you going?

EG+FC Apprentice

I'm going on August 18th. leaving from Fort. Lauderdale. That would be funny if we were going on the same cruise. I am soo excited this is my first cruise ever. We are going to Jamaica and the Cayman Island.

• 1 month later...
angel42 Enthusiast

Does anyone know what happens if you book a shore excursion that comes with lunch?

pedro Explorer

This is great.

Thanks for letting us know. I am planning to take my wife, and I very concern about the foods.

Thank You.

Best regards to you.

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

We are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas on August 5. I'm already starting to get excited!

angellove839 Rookie

I went on the Legend of the Seas in January. I am sorry to say that we (my boyfriend and I) did not have as much luck as some others did about being glutened. All of our issues were at dinner in the dining room. I dont know if we had a bad waiter or what but he did bring us gluten free bread and know that we were gluten free. He just didnt know for certain some items were not gluten free and maybe 3 meals out of the 7 night cruise were not gluten free. That is ALOT! Of course I spotted the items on my plate that could have problems and asked him to check...of course they werent gluten-free when he came back.

There were some good things they did - they made us feel special and not a bother, we got a special bananas foster dessert, but all this was trashed at the end of the trip where the second to last dinner we ordered Jerk Chicken and that pretty much ended our trip (it has soy sauce in it which i figured they would know better than to offer it if the sauce had wheat in it). Overall, if you do go on RC (and hopefully dont have my waiter), hopefully you have a luckier meal time than we did :(

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Thank you so much for posting this! I planned to go on a cruise at the end of this year and was feeling sorry for myself when was recently diagnosed thinking that it would be a hassle to travel. I can't wait to tell my husband! Has anyone had a good experience with Celebrity Cruise lines? I like Royal Caribbean, but would prefer Celebrity if they are just as accommodating.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Thank you so much for posting this! I planned to go on a cruise at the end of this year and was feeling sorry for myself when was recently diagnosed thinking that it would be a hassle to travel. I can't wait to tell my husband! Has anyone had a good experience with Celebrity Cruise lines? I like Royal Caribbean, but would prefer Celebrity if they are just as accommodating.

Celebrity is owned by RC so I would assume they are just as accomodating.

Archived