This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cascade Dishwasher Soap

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

Just a quick question:

I have a lousy dishwasher and there are always spots all over my glasses and dishes.

Should Cascade be a concern.

Thanks, Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I also use a product in my dishwasher called Glass Magic, you sprinkle it in the d/w bottom and wash as normal. Works great!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I use Cascade, no problems, my dishwasher is also lousy. Sadly, it is the only name brand appliance in our kitchen. It is GE, it sounds as if it will fall through the floor any minute. The rest of our appliances are Caloric and they are going strong, even though they look old. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Years ago I bought Cascade and it ruined all my glasses -- they were all spotted and had a cloudy film. I never could get rid of it and ended up buying new glasses.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have also stopped using Cascade--because of the spotting.

I now use (and really like) the Electrosol tablets with the "power ball" on it. The dishes come out nice, and no more spots :)

Lisa Mentor

I am not so concerned about the spot although a pain. The residue and CC is a concern on the spotty items. Hubby is not gluten free. Can gluteny cuddies rest in the spotty glasses? I don't know what the heat content of the machine. Or, is this a concern taken over the limits. :blink:

Felidae Enthusiast
Years ago I bought Cascade and it ruined all my glasses -- they were all spotted and had a cloudy film. I never could get rid of it and ended up buying new glasses.

So, that's what happened to my glasses. I bought Cascade only once, years ago, and I just made the connection now. I couldn't figure it out. My glasses were clear and then they were cloudy.

Thanks for figuring out my mystery.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I have been using Cascade as well and my dishes have not been turning out well. I thought it was Florida water. I'm going to try another brand and see what happens.

Our dishwasher is not good and my husband eats gluten. When he puts stuff in the dishwasher he never rinses it off and shoves stuff everywhere. I don't get sick at home and I'm very sensitive, so I would say that even if it doesn't do the best job, it is good enough to get the gluten off.

Are you getting sick at home?

jaten Enthusiast
Just a quick question:

I have a lousy dishwasher and there are always spots all over my glasses and dishes.

Thanks, Lisa

I had this very question because of this very detergent!

These posts are old, and so the information should be re-checked, but...

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I've since changed to Cascade dual action tablets and am much more satisfied with the appearance, and since I have no more spots I was able to stop wondering what's in those spots!

jerseyangel Proficient
I am not so concerned about the spot although a pain. The residue and CC is a concern on the spotty items. Hubby is not gluten free. Can gluteny cuddies rest in the spotty glasses? I don't know what the heat content of the machine. Or, is this a concern taken over the limits. :blink:

Lisa,

I understand your concern--the same thought crossed my mind back when it was happening to me.

It does stand to reason that if the water isn't completely sheeting off the dishes/glasses, then possibly it is leaving something other than water spotting behind. I honestly don't know.

I tend to err on the side of caution, so I simply switched brands. I was not noticing that I was getting "mystery glutenings", so I did finish up what I had before switching. If you're not feeling well and can't figure out why, then I'd say switch brands and see if it makes any difference. :)

Lisa Mentor

Thank you for your replies. A change is planned.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cassidy

I tried using Lime Away on my glasses and silverware that were cloudy and it really worked. We soaked the silverware in it and then put it in the dishwasher and it is sparkling like new. We also did all the glasses and they look perfect.

Just an idea for anyone else with streaky dishes.

tarnalberry Community Regular

The water spots and film are salt deposits (not NaCl salt exclusively, of course, but the salts found in your water supply, all the more so if you have a water softener). A descaler - even just vinegar - can help get that off.

Oddly, I've never had any luck with the theory that you don't need to pre-rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, so I don't know if the reason I don't have huge problems with this is because dishes go in clean-ish, but I've had it happen too, without Cascade.

HawkFire Explorer

seventh generation makes a nice biodegradable detergent that is save for the environment. I find it works great.

NoGluGirl Contributor
I have also stopped using Cascade--because of the spotting.

I now use (and really like) the Electrosol tablets with the "power ball" on it. The dishes come out nice, and no more spots :)

Dear jerseyangel and Carla,

Our dishes are having the same problem! I wondered what was causing that. It is disgusting! I am going to see if we can switch to Electrosol. That powerball is safe! Good, I will get some this week and see if it makes a difference!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Slackermommy Rookie

Believe it or not, my dished have been coming out horrible too! and..I use Cascade also.

I think I will be changing too, I thought it was my dishwasher (and it's only 3 years old!!!)

kb8ogn Rookie

Since changing to electrosol with the power ball, I have not had any problems with spotting on my dishes and my dishes are clean when they come out of the dishwasher.

I love electrosol.

Archived