Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Outback

14 posts in this topic

I just received this email from my local celiac group.

When I was at the Outback near my home last week, I asked the manager to bring me his gluten-free menu. I wanted to see if they had taken the steamed vegetables off, since they now contain wheat flour. They had not and he didn

Ads by Google:

The gluten free menus at my Outback say that you should order the steamed veggies without seasoning because the seasoning is not gluten free. This is the seasoning they whip into the butter. The last two revisions of the gluten free menus that we've gotten have both stated this clearly. Perhaps some of the Outbacks in your area have outdated gluten free menus???

did they just recently add flour to the recipe? I just ordered those on Valentines day and about a month ago!

who puts butter on steamed veggies??!?!?!?!!?

grrr.

(the grrr being for those of us who are dairy intolerant.)

Even though I never order veggies, I am glad to hear this just in case I order something different one day.

Thanks Carla

did they just recently add flour to the recipe? I just ordered those on Valentines day and about a month ago!

The seasoned butter has not been gluten free for quite some time, at least a year and a half, probably much longer. At least at my Outback it has always been listed on the menu as not safe. Just order your veggies without butter and they will be gluten free. The menu should instruct you to do this anyway. There's no flour added to the veggies, just the seasoned butter.

The seasoned butter has not been gluten free for quite some time, at least a year and a half, probably much longer. At least at my Outback it has always been listed on the menu as not safe. Just order your veggies without butter and they will be gluten free. The menu should instruct you to do this anyway. There's no flour added to the veggies, just the seasoned butter.

Mine too. I dont know where the confusion is, but I have always orderd the veggies "with out the butter ball" because the Gluten-Free menu clearly says "order without seasoned butter." I don't think this is new. I have been ordering like this at Outback (accorinding to their menu) for over 18 months now.

I wonder why they would have a old menu....

ATTENTION! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD NEW MENUS ON THEIR WEBSITE AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!!!!! I try to do that so I know what I can have, some places don't get new ones in if they don't get too many Celiacs eating there.

ATTENTION! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD NEW MENUS ON THEIR WEBSITE AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!!!!! I try to do that so I know what I can have, some places don't get new ones in if they don't get too many Celiacs eating there.

This is a good idea. Recipes change all the time, so this is a sure way to be safe.

I do not know which Outback had an old menu ... this was an email sent out by my local group.

My Outback has had that warning as well, for a good period of time (like Guhlia's). I hope that other stores are updating theirs.

Although, I will admit....the one I went to in Auburn (my very early diagnosis days), had probably the first gluten-free menu ever printed, it was that old....there weren't many people who asked for it, apparently!

Thanks for the heads up, Carla.

Laura

Ever since I've seen a gluten-free menu for Outback - at least four years now - it has ALWAYS said not to have the seasoning for the veggies. Meat seasoning is gluten-free, but not the veggies. This is not new. It's always been this way.

richard

This is a good idea. Recipes change all the time, so this is a sure way to be safe.

I do not know which Outback had an old menu ... this was an email sent out by my local group.

Gotcha. Maybe you could pass along the info? I hate to think someone is dissing Outback. They are my favorite place to go because of the wonderful gluten-free selections, including 3 desserts!!!

Three deserts??? Which ones??? I mean, I get the chocolate thunder all the time, sometimes we go just for that, I didn't know there were others. Other than the cinnamon apple thing which they make you take half of the stuff off of to make it gluten free.

Three deserts??? Which ones??? I mean, I get the chocolate thunder all the time, sometimes we go just for that, I didn't know there were others. Other than the cinnamon apple thing which they make you take half of the stuff off of to make it gluten free.

Here is the dessert menu I received today...

Cinnamon Apple Oblivion (had to laugh at this one though) Vanilla ice cream covered in cinnamon apples and pecans topped with caramel sauce. Avoid cinnamon apples and cinnamon croutons -- blew that one out of the water immediately.

Sydney's Sinful Sunday Vanilla - Ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream.

the BEST one on the list....

Chocolate Thunder From Down Under...Fresh-baked pecan brownie, rich vanilla ice cream topped with hot homemade chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings. This is a flourless brownie; we even dust the pan with sugar! It is a fantastic gluten-free dessert.

Here is the dessert menu I received today...

Cinnamon Apple Oblivion (had to laugh at this one though) Vanilla ice cream covered in cinnamon apples and pecans topped with caramel sauce. Avoid cinnamon apples and cinnamon croutons -- blew that one out of the water immediately.

Sydney's Sinful Sunday Vanilla - Ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream.

the BEST one on the list....

Chocolate Thunder From Down Under...Fresh-baked pecan brownie, rich vanilla ice cream topped with hot homemade chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings. This is a flourless brownie; we even dust the pan with sugar! It is a fantastic gluten-free dessert.

Yeah, what she said :)

I really like the Sydneys Sinful Sunday! The crunch of the coconut is really yummy. I haven't tried the cinnamon apple one, like you said, you have to take off a whole bunch of stuff, seems like a waste.