13 replies to this topic

#1 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

I just received this email from my local celiac group.

When I was at the Outback near my home last week, I asked the manager to bring me his gluten-free menu. I wanted to see if they had taken the steamed vegetables off, since they now contain wheat flour. They had not and he didnít know anything about it. I told him about the recent news I had gotten from Cynthia Kupper, Director of GIG National about the butter sauce used on the vegetables. He said heíd research it with Outback headquarters and hereís his response: "Dear Ms. Barfield: I researched your question about the butter sauce we use on our steamed vegetables and you are correct, there is flour in the seasoning (which is then whipped with the butter). The butter alone is, of course, gluten free. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Please let your group know that if they want to order the steamed vegetables or steamed broccoli they should order them with plain butter. Cheers to your good health. Mark Fisher Key Manager, Outback Steakhouse, Hurst, TX" Betty Barfield President, North Texas GIG

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

The gluten free menus at my Outback say that you should order the steamed veggies without seasoning because the seasoning is not gluten free. This is the seasoning they whip into the butter. The last two revisions of the gluten free menus that we've gotten have both stated this clearly. Perhaps some of the Outbacks in your area have outdated gluten free menus???
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 ReneCox

ReneCox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

did they just recently add flour to the recipe? I just ordered those on Valentines day and about a month ago!

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

who puts butter on steamed veggies??!?!?!?!!?
grrr.
(the grrr being for those of us who are dairy intolerant.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

Even though I never order veggies, I am glad to hear this just in case I order something different one day.
Thanks Carla
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

did they just recently add flour to the recipe? I just ordered those on Valentines day and about a month ago!

The seasoned butter has not been gluten free for quite some time, at least a year and a half, probably much longer. At least at my Outback it has always been listed on the menu as not safe. Just order your veggies without butter and they will be gluten free. The menu should instruct you to do this anyway. There's no flour added to the veggies, just the seasoned butter.
~Angie~

#7 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

The seasoned butter has not been gluten free for quite some time, at least a year and a half, probably much longer. At least at my Outback it has always been listed on the menu as not safe. Just order your veggies without butter and they will be gluten free. The menu should instruct you to do this anyway. There's no flour added to the veggies, just the seasoned butter.

Mine too. I dont know where the confusion is, but I have always orderd the veggies "with out the butter ball" because the Gluten-Free menu clearly says "order without seasoned butter." I don't think this is new. I have been ordering like this at Outback (accorinding to their menu) for over 18 months now.

I wonder why they would have a old menu....

ATTENTION! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD NEW MENUS ON THEIR WEBSITE AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!!!!! I try to do that so I know what I can have, some places don't get new ones in if they don't get too many Celiacs eating there.
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#8 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

ATTENTION! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD NEW MENUS ON THEIR WEBSITE AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!!!!! I try to do that so I know what I can have, some places don't get new ones in if they don't get too many Celiacs eating there.

This is a good idea. Recipes change all the time, so this is a sure way to be safe.

I do not know which Outback had an old menu ... this was an email sent out by my local group.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#9 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

My Outback has had that warning as well, for a good period of time (like Guhlia's). I hope that other stores are updating theirs.

Although, I will admit....the one I went to in Auburn (my very early diagnosis days), had probably the first gluten-free menu ever printed, it was that old....there weren't many people who asked for it, apparently!

Thanks for the heads up, Carla.

Laura

#10 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:06 PM

Ever since I've seen a gluten-free menu for Outback - at least four years now - it has ALWAYS said not to have the seasoning for the veggies. Meat seasoning is gluten-free, but not the veggies. This is not new. It's always been this way.

richard

#11 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

This is a good idea. Recipes change all the time, so this is a sure way to be safe.

I do not know which Outback had an old menu ... this was an email sent out by my local group.

Gotcha. Maybe you could pass along the info? I hate to think someone is dissing Outback. They are my favorite place to go because of the wonderful gluten-free selections, including 3 desserts!!!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#12 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

Three deserts??? Which ones??? I mean, I get the chocolate thunder all the time, sometimes we go just for that, I didn't know there were others. Other than the cinnamon apple thing which they make you take half of the stuff off of to make it gluten free.
~Angie~

#13 JohnnieHamill

JohnnieHamill

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Three deserts??? Which ones??? I mean, I get the chocolate thunder all the time, sometimes we go just for that, I didn't know there were others. Other than the cinnamon apple thing which they make you take half of the stuff off of to make it gluten free.

Here is the dessert menu I received today...

Cinnamon Apple Oblivion (had to laugh at this one though) Vanilla ice cream covered in cinnamon apples and pecans topped with caramel sauce. Avoid cinnamon apples and cinnamon croutons -- blew that one out of the water immediately.

Sydney's Sinful Sunday Vanilla - Ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream.

the BEST one on the list....

Chocolate Thunder From Down Under...Fresh-baked pecan brownie, rich vanilla ice cream topped with hot homemade chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings. This is a flourless brownie; we even dust the pan with sugar! It is a fantastic gluten-free dessert.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Johnnie Ruth Hamill

Gluten-Free Since 1993
Never formally diagnosed as DH (told eczema), but improved within 3 months after dietary change
Mother has DH since 1987
Niece possibly has DH but has not seen a doctor

#14 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

Here is the dessert menu I received today...

Cinnamon Apple Oblivion (had to laugh at this one though) Vanilla ice cream covered in cinnamon apples and pecans topped with caramel sauce. Avoid cinnamon apples and cinnamon croutons -- blew that one out of the water immediately.

Sydney's Sinful Sunday Vanilla - Ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream.

the BEST one on the list....

Chocolate Thunder From Down Under...Fresh-baked pecan brownie, rich vanilla ice cream topped with hot homemade chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings. This is a flourless brownie; we even dust the pan with sugar! It is a fantastic gluten-free dessert.

Yeah, what she said :)

I really like the Sydneys Sinful Sunday! The crunch of the coconut is really yummy. I haven't tried the cinnamon apple one, like you said, you have to take off a whole bunch of stuff, seems like a waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: