Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Advice About Going To An Allergist

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on beyond gluten. I've eliminated gluten, wheat, dairy, corn, soy, (and all other starches), chocolate, and refined sugar.

I'm still eating eggs and nuts.

This may just be a matter of time since I'm only three months into it.

But a friend of mine just went to an allergist and found out she's allergic to: wheat, soy, barley, almonds, and apples.

And I thought: well, I could be FOREVER eliminating and re-introducing things if I've got an allergy as specific as almonds and apples.

So I wanted to hear what experiences you all have had with food allergy testing.

I don't fully understand the connection between these various intolerances -- what is auto-immune, what is allergic response, what is just "intolerance."

Also, a side question: I'd love to hear from folks who have sore joints and/or other inflammation that seems to go along with this gut stuff. Have you all learned anything about this rheumatoid part of it? My hips and knuckles became sore at the same time all the gut symptoms started -- AND I also developed chronic cyst-like inflammations in my nostrils (gross!).

Any wisdom you all could offer would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Ads by Google:
Hi all,

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on beyond gluten. I've eliminated gluten, wheat, dairy, corn, soy, (and all other starches), chocolate, and refined sugar.

What are some of the issues you are still having? My initial thoughts are.... eggs are extremely high allergens, as are peanuts - and often "nuts" can be cross contaminated with peanuts.

I don't fully understand the connection between these various intolerances -- what is auto-immune, what is allergic response, what is just "intolerance."

Auto-immune is when your body attacks itself, in essence. Allergies are not autoimmune, with normal allergies, you have an IgE mediated response, where mast cells produce histamine to defend against - and neutralize the invading allergen. In the case of an intolerance, there is no release of IgE, ho histamine... no "proof" of any response, with the exception of the obvious "ickiness" that one feels after consuming a food they are intolerant to.

We've been having issues with our two younger children, as they are *obviously* intolerant to several foods, yet... there is no "reaction" on typical allergy tests.

There are two types... RAST - which is a blood test, and then skin testing. I've had both done, on more than one occasion. My allergies are primarily inhalant/environmental, but because I moved from the North East to the Midwest... I've had a LOT of developing issues. The Midwest pollens and molds are different from those in the NE.

What's that got to do with food allergies?? I dunno. But, some foods cross-react with pollens - which causes problems with both my daughter and I. She's allergic to certain pollens that cross react with certain fruits/melons. So, while she's not *allergic or intolerant* to the melons or fruits, she clearly reacts to them.

Ok, so I'm sure I'm not really answering any of your questions, although I feel like I am. So, I'm going to step aside and let someone else try. =) =)

Hi all,

This may just be a matter of time since I'm only three months into it.

But a friend of mine just went to an allergist and found out she's allergic to: wheat, soy, barley, almonds, and apples.

And I thought: well, I could be FOREVER eliminating and re-introducing things if I've got an allergy as specific as almonds and apples.

So I wanted to hear what experiences you all have had with food allergy testing.

Also, a side question: I'd love to hear from folks who have sore joints and/or other inflammation that seems to go along with this gut stuff. Have you all learned anything about this rheumatoid part of it? My hips and knuckles became sore at the same time all the gut symptoms started -- AND I also developed chronic cyst-like inflammations in my nostrils (gross!).

Any wisdom you all could offer would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Food allergy testing can be hit or miss. Unfortuantely, just because a test is negative doesn't mean it's accurate. Your best bet is an elimination diet. Elimination diet is an effective way to determine intolerances as well.

In terms of apple allergies, it is most often due to cross reaction with a pollen. I am very allergic to birch tree pollen, and apples happen to be a cross reactive allergen along with almonds, hazelnuts, peaches, pears, plums, cherries (essentially most tree fruit) and I just found out that wheat is on that cross-reactive list as well. This type of allergy is labelled as Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) although I find I react to these allergies through touch as well, so it's a bit of a misnomer. :) I know I'm allergic to these things, because I have an oral response (itchy lips, throat, ears.) Luckily, with OAS, cooking the problem foods changes the allergenicity thus no allergic response. Of course, YMMV.

Michelle

I have all those symptoms. For me its not just a gut thing....or just a food thing....its more of a systemic thing. I did have to restrict my diet....I'm down to like 5 foods. Its not one particular food causing the problem for me. If I eat the wrong foods or expose myself to chemicals like perfume...I get inflammation.

Could the cyst-like things in your nose be nasal polyps?? I have those and they swell when I am highly reactive to stuff I've eaten or in my environment. I have been able to control this to some extent and havent had too much swelling the past few months. The nasal polyps can be very painful when they get inflamed.

As for sore joints....I get pain in my wrists, knuckles, neck, jaw, hips....sometimes my ankles. I've got this under control about 90% of the time but its never completely gone.