This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chemical Sensitivities

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I was listening to Dr William Rea from the Environmental Health Center (Dallas, TX) at the "Intestinal Health ...and beyond!" DVD.

He mantioned that if you have more than 6 allergies you always have chemical sensitivities too. I thought that was pretty interesting and it is true when it comes to me. I have well over 6 allergies besides my intolerances and I am sensitive to parfume/fragrances and chemical sun blockers. I also have a hard time with those laundy drier sheets and household cleaning products.

I have started to look into more environmentally friendly products and stuff that is organic and kinder for humans to deal with.

What about you? Is his theory true when it comes to you and what kind of chemical sensitivities do you have?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KarenLee Rookie

YEs, this is true for me, as well. I have suffered from allergies since I was very young. Food, seasonal, animal, environmental, you name it. Now that I am older, and I pay more attention to what I expose myself to-putting it in my mouth or on my body. And I do notice that I am sensitive to MSG for sure. Household cleansers make my asthma flare up, too. That make sense. Where did you get the DVD?

Yenni Enthusiast
YEs, this is true for me, as well. I have suffered from allergies since I was very young. Food, seasonal, animal, environmental, you name it. Now that I am older, and I pay more attention to what I expose myself to-putting it in my mouth or on my body. And I do notice that I am sensitive to MSG for sure. Household cleansers make my asthma flare up, too. That make sense. Where did you get the DVD?

OH, I love your doggie picture! :lol:

I got it here: Open Original Shared Link

I am really glad I bought it actually.

shai76 Explorer

I have multiple allergies and some chemical sensitivites too. I don't use perfumes or fragrances or harsh chemicals to clean with. Water cleans just as well as window cleaner. Tea tree oil mixed with water in a spray bottle is a good anti septic. I also often use lemon juice to clean our indoor grill.

KarenLee Rookie

Thanks, I was thinking the same of yours!...looks like they could be really good friends!! :)

Is that Enterolab's Dr. Fine's DVD? looks worth buying...

wowzer Community Regular

Very interesting and makes sense to me. I've always had some kind of allergies going on. Aeresol sprays will put me into an asthma attack.

Yenni Enthusiast
Thanks, I was thinking the same of yours!...looks like they could be really good friends!! :)

Is that Enterolab's Dr. Fine's DVD? looks worth buying...

Yes, it is his DVD. I liked it. I felt I got inspired by it and felt I got many questions answered.

What type of dog is yours?

Mine is a 50/50 mix of German Shepherd and Labrador Retriver.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast

Here is the homepage of that Environmental Health center: Open Original Shared Link

They have a store there where one can get some recommendations on what stuff to use. Most of them I have been able to find locally.

I am a little interestded in getting one of the water filters. I guess the plastic bottles that most water comes in give away a lot of bad stuff into the water. Water should come in glass bottles. Glass bottles are hard to find and are very spendy I have noticed. so I am thinking about getting one of the filters (must be plastic free).

Yenni Enthusiast

Oh and I meant to ask if any of you have problems with mediaction at all? Since I was a child I haven't been able to eat Ibuprofen because I get shortness of breath and severe fatique from small doses. (My mom has this too.)

I noticed that after my stomach problems started that I am sensetive to medication. I react to things like an elderly. I usually get much more side effects and I can handle much less of most things. For example I usually take Acetamenophen for pain and fever and I used to be able to take 1 gram without really feeling much at all. Now the same amount makes me fall asleep almost. I usually take 500 mg only now. My mom also have this problem (she seems to have GI problems from possibly gluten intolerance too that she is ignoring).

I was wondering if anyone else have anything like this? I feel like a freak.

I ate Omnicef for a sinus infection probably 2 years ago and my stool turned all red. It was weird. They checked it for blood but it wasn't. They hadn't heard of anyone else that this happened to. I seem to be a freak show since I got Celiac.

KarenLee Rookie

I never really thought about getting a non plastic filter and that is worth looking into. We are on well water in Texas, hard water where we have to add salt to a water softener, blah blah blah. Yuck in my opinion, my husband doesn't mind it. SO I drink Ozarka bottled spring water, but do worry at times about the plastic. :unsure:

Nala is the dog and she is a red heeler/shephard mix, I think...I was working at a vet when someone found her and her sister wandering the lake at 10 weeks old! She's the best, and she was free!

Thanks for the info!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I have chemical sensitivities as well as food sensitivities. I'm reactive to all chemicals in foods (Msg, Aspartame, food coloring, preservatives, etc.).....also I'm highly sensitive to molds. :(

I'm sensitive to all chemicals but worst are perfumes and fabric softener/dryer sheets.

I dont have any IgE type allergies.....just sensitive to pretty much everything.....in a BIG way.

Chemical sensitivity is almost always due to accumulation of neurotoxins and the bodies inability to excrete them.

Yenni Enthusiast
I have chemical sensitivities as well as food sensitivities. I'm reactive to all chemicals in foods (Msg, Aspartame, food coloring, preservatives, etc.).....also I'm highly sensitive to molds. :(

I'm sensitive to all chemicals but worst are perfumes and fabric softener/dryer sheets.

I dont have any IgE type allergies.....just sensitive to pretty much everything.....in a BIG way.

Chemical sensitivity is almost always due to accumulation of neurotoxins and the bodies inability to excrete them.

Do you know how to un-do it? Have you done anything to try or..?

I wonder if that can change back; the inability to excrete them? If there is anyway to do that?

I am thinking about buying some of Dr Rea's books..but I am not sure if they would suit me. Would be interesting to hear more from anyone that has studied this some.

Dr Rea mentioned that people with pain in neck ans shoulders often have stuff built up in their system. I know both my mom and I have some problems with that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Do you know how to un-do it? Have you done anything to try or..?

I wonder if that can change back; the inability to excrete them? If there is anyway to do that?

Yeah....you have to find out what is overwhelming your system first....and then you have to treat it.....and detoxify.

I never tried to "correct" the problem on my own...other than to limit my exposure and try to be as "clean" as possible with my diet and everything else around me. I dont try to "self-medicate".....not with supplements or anything else.

I just mainly focused on finding out the cause.

These are neurotoxins that if accumulated could lead to a problem with chemical sensitivity.

They are listed in order of importance.

(1) Heavy metals: such as mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminium.

(2) Biotoxins: such as tetanus toxin, botulinum toxin (botox), ascaridin (from intestinal parasites), unspecified toxins from streptococci, staphylococci, lyme disease, clamydia, tuberculosis, fungal toxins and toxins produced by viruses. Biotoxins are minute molecules containing nitrogen and sulfur. They belong to a group of chemical messengers which microorganisms use to control the host

Yenni Enthusiast
Yeah....you have to find out what is overwhelming your system first....and then you have to treat it.....and detoxify.

I never tried to "correct" the problem on my own...other than to limit my exposure and try to be as "clean" as possible with my diet and everything else around me. I dont try to "self-medicate".....not with supplements or anything else.

I just mainly focused on finding out the cause.

These are neurotoxins that if accumulated could lead to a problem with chemical sensitivity.

They are listed in order of importance.

(1) Heavy metals: such as mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminium.

(2) Biotoxins: such as tetanus toxin, botulinum toxin (botox), ascaridin (from intestinal parasites), unspecified toxins from streptococci, staphylococci, lyme disease, clamydia, tuberculosis, fungal toxins and toxins produced by viruses. Biotoxins are minute molecules containing nitrogen and sulfur. They belong to a group of chemical messengers which microorganisms use to control the host

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. Have you read any books?

I've read alot of books about health issues over the past 4 years.

Before that...nope...nothing even remotely related to health. I dont even know if I would have known what "detoxification" meant 4 years ago. :huh:

I also have really good Dr.'s and I learn from them as well as researching online.

This stuff interests me alot so I seem to retain the info.....whereas normal everyday stuff cant seem to penetrate through my brainfog. :P

I forget everything.

I wonder why early emotional trauma would make you more at risk for this?
I would imagine its because things that are traumatic to us and are "undealt" with could ultimately have an impact on our health. Not that something like this alone would lead to chemical sensitivity....its just one of many things that could put stress on our bodies.

It would take a great deal of things to pile on top of each other to eventually lead to chemical sensitivity....at least to the degree that I have it.

I do believe it will only worsen over time without lifestyle changes, avoidance of nuerotoxins, detoxification...and if necessary....erradication of infections.

Another interesting fact.

Stress....it can also lead to a build up of toxins if the stress is chronic. I guess that emotional trauma could fit in with this.....if its bottled up I would imagine it would be a chronic stress on the body...as well as an immune suppressant.

Stress also throws the body's metabolism out of balance causing an overproduction of stress hormones that need to be broken down and eliminated by the body. Continual stress from physical, mental or emotional sources overburdens our excretion systems and allows for the gradual build up of toxins in our organs. The effects are cumulative on our bodies.
Yenni Enthusiast

Could you recommend any books? I am very interested in this stuff too.

I hear ya about forgetting everything. :blink:;)

Please feel free to share any other interesing stuff about this. ;) hehe

Creative-Soul Newbie

I have always had a problem with chemical sensitivities, and have only discovered many of my food allergies recently (see my sig.).

Most household cleaning products, air-fresheners, perfumes, smoke of any kind, the scent of many hygenic/toiletry products (like hand lotion, even!) cause me to go analphylactic...

I can't do some over-the-counter meds either... e.g. Advil and Tylenol make me totally lose reality; I don't know which way is up - or that there even is an up! Even though Benedryl helps with allergies, I react the same way (as just mentioned), so I really hate taking it even though it's an important option for me...

Archived