This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

? Diet Pepsi, Caramel Coloring

Clarissagoog

Clarissagoog Newbie

Is Diet Pepsi a gluten free product? I see there is caramel coloring in it. I have read that some caramel coloring has gluten in it. please help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Is Diet Pepsi a gluten free product? I see there is caramel coloring in it. I have read that some caramel coloring has gluten in it. please help

Yes they are gluten free along with 7-up, coke and pepsi products. There are a few amounst us that react to caramel coloring. I guess this is a CYA statement. :unsure:

Clarissagoog Newbie

Thank You

Yes they areluten free along with 7-up, coke and pepsi products. There are a few amounst us that react to caramel coloring. I guess this is a CYA statement. :unsure:
happygirl Collaborator

Caramel coloring can technically be derived from wheat, but luckily isn't very often, generally. With the new food labeling laws, if it was made from wheat, it would have to be listed.

Yay for pepsi and coke :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Caramel coloring can technically be derived from wheat, but luckily isn't very often, generally. With the new food labeling laws, if it was made from wheat, it would have to be listed.

Yay for pepsi and coke :)

It can also be dervived from barley which does not have to be listed. Coke goes by the codex standards so if you trust the codex you can trust them. I personally avoid carmel coloring but have nno problems with pepsi products.

• 2 weeks later...
icanoe Newbie

I am intererested in what adverse effects Caramel has. Caramel color is an interesting ingredient; there are 4 types as classified by Codex. Soft drinks use type IV defined as :

Caramel Colour IV (synonyms: ammonia sulfite process caramel,

sulfite ammonia caramel, sulfite ammonia process caramel, acid-proof

caramel, beverage caramel, and soft-drink caramel); this class is

prepared by the controlled heat treatment of carbohydrates with

ammonium-containing and sulfite-containing compounds.

Here is a link for current info on ongoing standards/classifications for Caramel

Open Original Shared Link

What's interesting is the ongoing work to evaluate the caramel product, most people are not aware of this. see this quote from the link

The report of the twenty-fourth meeting of the Committee (Annex

1, reference 53) drew attention to the need for adequate

specifications for caramel colour IV and for a long-term study of

carcinogenicity. The temporary ADI of 0-100 mg/kg b.w. was extended

pending the results of long-term toxicity studies.

Notes: ADI = average daily intake, b.w = body weight

Please respond if you have any effects of caramel intake you have noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
simplicity66 Explorer

I have drank both diet coke and diet pepsi....however the outcome wasnt great...going without any pop for so long i drank both and got this really sick feeling in my stomach as well as headacs and dizziness....this also left a really fowl taste in my mouth....so needless to say i am off pop all together the after effects just arent worth it!!!....if i have more then 2 coffee a day this also happens to me...where or not its the caffeine i am not sure....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest WashingtonLady
I have drank both diet coke and diet pepsi....however the outcome wasnt great...going without any pop for so long i drank both and got this really sick feeling in my stomach as well as headacs and dizziness....this also left a really fowl taste in my mouth....so needless to say i am off pop all together the after effects just arent worth it!!!....if i have more then 2 coffee a day this also happens to me...where or not its the caffeine i am not sure....

I have the same reaction to caffine--the dizziness, headache, and stomach upset, as well as disorientation/bad jitters. A friend finally suggested going caffine-free when I wanted a taste of coffee :blink: Imagine that! It actually worked. I don't know what the connection to caffine and gluten intolerance is, but from what I'm reading on these forums, I think there must be one!

• 2 years later...
LkGrgGrrl Newbie
Please respond if you have any effects of caramel intake you have noticed.

I have the same reaction as I do when I consume gluten. Pain, fever, distention, cramping, diarrhea, fatigue, nausea...

FYI... the FDA states that as long as there are less than 20 parts per million of gluten in a product it may call itself "Gluten Free" and if I am not mistaken, it is this definition which is used in sodas like Pepsi and Coke. I have emailed Pepsi and am awaiting confirmation of that, but I'm quite sure I read that on one of my Celiac sites.

That being said, even a small dose such as 20ppm or less, will effect those (like me) who are hypersensitive to gluten. During last year's Christmas break, I drank a Pepsi after reading that it was Gluten Free and was incredibly ill. All of the symptoms I listed above. The only ingredient that would cause that in Pepsi is the Caramel Color.

P.S. I've asked them to bring back Pepsi Clear from the 90's since it had no coloring in it.

to Simplicity and WashingtonLady: Remember that before you were diagnosed you weren't absorbing ANYTHING... not just vitamins, but you also wouldn't have been absorbing fats, carbs, caffeine, alcohol...

Since my diagnosis, I can't have more than 2 cups of coffee without getting the shakes, I used to drink it 24/7. Also alcohol - I've always been able to drink a lot but now that my GI tract has healed, I'm a lightweight. One drink makes me tipsy.

amberlynn Contributor

I cannot handle caffiene even in small amounts (like chocolate). Migraines, stomachaches, etc... But I don't have trouble (that I've noticed!) with caramel coloring... interesting.

lovegrov Collaborator

Simply put, caramel coloring in Pepsi and Coke does not contain gluten. Period.

richard

• 2 weeks later...
PhillyCeliacTriathlete Newbie

Nevermind the gluten, why are you drinking a wasted calorie such as soda anyway? It couldn't be more unnatural. Try non-concentrated apple, pineapple, mango, carrot, orange juices.

I removed soda from my diet 9 years ago at age 20 - what a difference mentally AND physically it makes.

Soda is a horrendous toll taker on the body and leads to unnatural sugar highs and canyon lows. Try pure black coffee if you are solely drinking Pepsi for the caffeine. If you are drinking it for the taste, try not drinking Pepsi for two weeks and then drink it again. You will probably only then notice how disgusting it truly is.

John

Open Original Shared Link

Archived