This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Poll: Were You Or Your Children Breast-fed?

Mtndog

Were you breast fed?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mtndog Collaborator

We've been talking in another thread about breast feeding and celiac and many of us were wondering how many people with celiac were breast-fed and for how long. Here's a link to that topic:Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks Bev!

I checked "no", but wasn't actually formula fed. My mom gave me boiled whole milk sweetened with Karo syrup because my grandmother convinced her that formula wasn't good. Before that, the doctor convinced my mom that breastfeeding wasn't healthy for babies and that she couldn't possibly produce enough milk to ade quately feed a baby. I'm the youngest of 5 and all of my siblings are moderately overweight and have health problems. I'm actually the healthiest, but I'm the only one who's taken charge of my health and changed my diet. I would guess that at least two, if not all, of my siblings are gluten intolerant, but none of them are interested in even looking into it. They're happy to take their medications, sigh...

CarlaB Enthusiast

My mom breastfed me for six weeks, then formula. I voted for "breastfed less than six months."

All my kids were breastfed. One who was breastfed for six months eats gluten-free. One who was breastfed for two years eats gluten-free. Neither one of them has as bad of a reaction as I do.

Ursa Major Collaborator

If I remember correctly, my mother said once that she breastfed me for three months.

jerseyangel Proficient

I voted "yes, but less than 6 months". My mom also believed in giving babies cereal--a little bit in a bottle of formula--early on to help make them sleep better.

Neither of my younger sisters were breast fed, and I'm the only one that we know to be Celiac.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I didn't vote - maybe I should put Ty (who has celiac) down for breastfed for less than six months (he was about 5 1/2 months when we switched).

I was formula fed and I don't have celiac.

Edited to add: We put Ty on rice cereal (Heinz...no idea if there's WROB/M in there) at about 4 months, then some fruit, then around 5 - 6 months old he had Heinz oatmeal and barley cereals. He never seemed to have a problem with food, we discovered his celiac at 5 years 9 months old because of really, really low iron.

FeedIndy Contributor

I voted no-I was formula-fed and also given cereal in a bottle from birth! :o My mom kept trying to convince me with all 3 kids that they would sleep better. I never fell for it, but did start them on cereal at aroun 3-4 months. That's just when the problems started with my youngest-the one who found the gluten intolerance for all of us.

However, all 3 of my own gluten intolerant children were breastfed exclusively for the first 6 weeks and primarily for 3, 6 and 9 months respectively plus supplemental nursing for 6, 9 and 13 months. I nursed longer the last time because she had so many problems related to food. She was at her best when we were both gluten free and nursing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I was formula-fed.

If you have medical issues, you might want to check with a lactation consultant--often doctors will tell you that you cannot breastfeed when you may be able to. I was told that I wouldn't be able to because for the first 5 days after my oldest was born,I had no milk. He wouldn't latch on (why would he, when there was no millk?). I pumped every 3 hours, and didn't get a SINGLE DROP, not even colostrum--until the end of the 5th day. At that point, he did latch on (because there was something in there!), and I threw the fomula in the garbage.

The lactation consultants also know muchmore about which medications are okay when you are breastfeedings, and will tell you about medication options if your current meds won't work for breastfeeding. I actually had a pediatrician tell me I couldn't breastfeed it I was taking Synthroid (which is not true)!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I was formula fed, and I remember my mom telling me she had to scrape change together sometimes, just to buy a can of it.

Juliet Newbie

I have no problems with gluten, and I was breastfed for 6 weeks. But my son who does have Celiac Disease was breastfed for 14 months. He did get breastmilk along with a little formula during the first 4 weeks (each feeding was a combination of breastmilk and soy-based formula), though, because I wasn't producing enough milk at first. But after that, he was exclusively breastfed.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I wasnt breast-fed.

I only found this out a couple years ago when my mom accompanied me to a doctors appt. The Dr. asked her if she'd breast-fed me....and the answer was no.

The Doc said if shed have done this my immune system would be stronger. :(

dlp252 Apprentice

I haven't actually voted yet, lol. I need to check with my mom. I know I was fed formula, and it was some kind of soy formula, but I don't know when she started the formula.

bluejeangirl Contributor
I voted "yes, but less than 6 months". My mom also believed in giving babies cereal--a little bit in a bottle of formula--early on to help make them sleep better.

Neither of my younger sisters were breast fed, and I'm the only one that we know to be Celiac.

One of the regrets I have in life was following the advice of my mother in law who told me to mix up alittle of the baby cereals with milk before putting my babies to bed and they'll sleep through the night. I started this at only 3 mo. because I wanted to sleep. I don't remember if it was rice or wheat but I just cringe when I think about it. I breastfed my first until he was over a year and the second one for only 2 mo. He was a fussy baby and didn't like the taste of my milk and instead of changing my diet I went to formula. I know so much more now. But back in the early 80's they didn't have computers or even the information they do now.

Kibbie Contributor

My daughter was breastfed for over a year (I can remember how much over a year 14-16 months) And was diagnosed with Celiac at 18 months.

She received nothing but breast milk until 6 months of age.. .and after that nursed 3-4 times a day until she stopped (cold turkey)and was given milk not formula. We did fead her oatmeal at 7 months old but she had no other gluten containing products till 12 months old. I also made all of her baby food at home.

Michi8 Contributor

The poll question confused me...I didn't know whether I could answer for both myself and my kids (who were breastfed much longer than I was), so I only answered for myself.

I was breastfed for 4 months and fed solids early, starting with cereal. I have many, many allergies, eczema/psoriasis, asthma and GI issues.

My children were all breastfed an average of 2 years, with my middle son going the longest at 2.5 years. They all were exclusively breastfed until 6 months, at which point we introduced plain, organic, unfortified rice cereal. Eldest has GI issues, middle son is a fussy eater and thin as a rail, my youngest (daughter) has eczema, allergies and the beginnings of asthma.

Michelle

Guest AutumnE

I was formula fed and so was my sister, my mom was too. My dad was breastfed and all of his brothers and sisters (13 total) were breastfed. My dad, my mom, my sister and me all have celiac disease with the actual celiac genes, all of us had elevated antibodies also. My daughter has the gene and slightly elevated antibodies. My uncle (dad's brother) who was breastfed died at the age of two from celiac disease in 1930. My grandfather on my mother's side also we believe had celiac disease was breastfed.

It would be hard not to have this poll slightly inaccurate due to back in the 1940's all the way to when I was born in 1972 women were not encouraged to breastfed, strangely it was looked down on. When I did breastfeed my daughter, my mom had a hard time with it since in her day age it was looked down upon. It really helped open up things for her when I asked her to come to my breastfeeding classes at the hospital with la leche league.

I did breastfeed in the beginning with my daughter but I barely had any supply due to a breast reduction when I was 19. I wish I would have waited but my surgeon said I would have no trouble with breastfeeding :rolleyes:

Me and my sister also had cereal. Karo syrup is not an odd thing to be fed nowadays either. Only one formula that I know of doesnt contain it. Our food system is so tainted. Even breast milk can be tainted due to enviromental issues. There was an article a few years back about breastmilk containing rocket fuel :blink:

Adelle Enthusiast

I haven't voted yet cause I'm not sure if I was breastfed, and if so for how long. All I know is (when ryan and I have kids) come hell or high water I'm breastfeeding. My immune system is so screwed, I want to give them everything I can! Also, my husband was fed goats milk. He had horrible D and violent vomiting every time he had his mom's breast milk and formula (she told me that the doc said to do the goats milk, cause he was allergic to her breastmilk and formula). We're pretty sure it was just the gluten. Anyway, I'l have to ask my mom how long she breastfed my sis and I. Hmmmmmm

AndreaB Contributor

I voted for me. I was born 8 weeks early and was formula fed.

My two oldest were breasfed exclusively for the first six months when we started adding in baby cereal and food. Continued breastfeeding until they were 2 years 10 months.

The youngest I plan on breastfeeding as long although he's never fed as much as they did. He was started on rice cereal at 7 months. He's the one that alerted us something was wrong at 2 1/2 months. Haven't had him gene tested but the rest of us have been and we all have at least one celiac gene. Hubby has two so all the children will have one.

All of us except my hubby have an active sensitivity according to enterolab (again haven't had the youngest tested, he's dietary response). Hubby was formula fed as well.

My oldest has a lot of intolerances (she's 7), my oldest boy has hardly any (he's 4), my youngest seems to have a lot of intolerances as well. Haven't nailed those down with him but we are avoiding the top 8 allergens for the most part.

trustyourguts Rookie

I voted for myself. I was breastfed until 4 months. My two children were both breastfed to over age two. My son is 25 months and he is still going strong. I think it is the breastfeeding that has kept him out of the hospital. When he is gluten-free he bf so much less, only at night to go to sleep. When he is on gluten he nurses almost all day.

All of us have food sensitivities. My son is worse than all of us. He can't have soy, gluten, dairy, summer fruits and now eggs. The list keeps growing. :(:(:(:lol: .

GFBetsy Rookie

I breast-fed my fraternal twins for 11 months, and only one of them has celiac. So I would guess breast-feeding can contribute to a later onset, but isn't by any means the only factor.

Lisa Mentor

I did not post on the poll, which I find quite interesting. My mother died when I was two and no one left to ask.

But, I expect that I was not. (for a variety of reasons)

Lisa

Juliebove Rising Star

I tried to breast feed my daughter because I had food allergies as a baby and didn't want her to get them. But I wasn't producing enough milk so I was forced to give her formula as well. Alas she turned out to be allergic to both milk and soy so no matter what I gave her she was sick. At age 6 her allergies were finally diagnosed. Prior to that the Drs. kept telling me she had no food allergies. Bah! Turns out she is allergic to not only those but bananas, peanuts, eggs, wheat and gluten. I did breast feed for 10 months, but was producing so little milk the bulk of her diet was the formula and then solid foods.

Mtndog Collaborator
I did not post on the poll, which I find quite interesting. My mother died when I was two and no one left to ask.

But, I expect that I was not. (for a variety of reasons)

Lisa

lisa- I'm sorry. I didn't know that. :(

I'm sure the results are inaccurate, but I'm curious. I'm also sure breast-feeding isn't the only factor. There's genetics and environment and God only knows what else. I think it was Ffiddle-Faddle who said that the studies she had read all had varying rates but the % of celiacs who were NOT breast-fed was very high. But there could be a lot of factors in this. Still, it's interesting.

AndreaB Contributor

I want to add that my doctor told me that if I'm eating something I'm intolerant to it CAN cause a problem for the baby. That's why I'm pretty much off the top 8 allergens aside from being intolerant to about half of them.

For instance (and I'm not 100% sure about this). I'm just a tiny bit over the line into low intolerance for cauliflower, don't have any problems that I know of eating it. My youngest had some last night and had a very bad night. My guess would be that he is intolerant to it. He hasn't met a food he doesn't like but some he's met don't like him. :(:P

heathen Apprentice

i was breastfed for 8 months--and i was a fat baby. i'm convinced it shielded my celiac symptoms for years.

Archived