Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Orlando Sentinel

4 posts in this topic

If anyone is in the Orlando FL area there is an article in todays (9/15) Orlando Sentinel food section about gluten intolerance called "Diet Detectives". Hopefully a lot of people will read it and learn something!

Ads by Google:

This was an excellent article! I live in CT. My Mother-in-law clipped it out and sent it to me.

What is the name of the paper? I'd like to go on their site or contact them directly and see if I can get a copy of the article. I'll also Google it and see if it's available.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I have to tell you that, about 3 years ago, I went to the International Celiac Disease Symposium.  The coffee cross-reactive myth was discussed as we were all consuming vast quantities of Starbucks coffee provided by the Sheraton.  Needless to say, it was good for a laugh.    
    • Yeah, I looked for real scientific studies on gluten cross activity and couldn't find any. I did read something about barely being found in instant coffee--so who knows.
    • Gluten Cross-reactive foods is some sort of odd internet myth.  It started with a company that wanted to sell bogus medical tests.  They have even admitted that the coffee thing isn't true - they used gluten contaminated instant coffee.  However, you have to look at the small print in a lot of nonsense in a large binder of stuff to find that fact.  I did it with one of their company reps.. anyway....   If coffee bothers you, it may just be that it is hard on your system.  Maybe you can get it back after some healing.  And it doesn't sound like you had much protein that week.   edit - just looked at the ingredients- that isn't just coffee - who knows what part of it bothered you?  ingredients on GMO Dark Roast Coffee, Chlorogenic Acid, Garcinia Cambogia 95%,Phaseolamin, Cassiolamine Green Tea 100:1 Extract, Ginseng 100:1 Extract, L-Carnitine with Chromium.
    • Thanks for pointing that out. I just learned about things that are cross reactive with gluten--that have a similar protein structure and the body reacts as if it is a gluten protein: the list of cross reactors includes: Eggs, coffee most other grains corn, potato, rice, yeast, chocolate coffee, corn, butter soy, eggplant, bell pepper and chili pepper and tomatoes. Son of a !!!! This explains a lot. I would be faithfully gluten-free and still have DH flare ups when I certain things. So I just ate sprouted rice with beans, fruit and oolong tea--and I was fine. Then last week I tried this weight loss coffee called SlimRoast which worked UNBELIVABLE (LOST 3 POUNDS IN 2 DAYS) I was eating potato soup with lots of chili paste and soon I noticed I was depressed, I couldn't focus and began to feel that crawling flesh thing I get when I know I have been glutened.  I did more research on how I could love my body and read about glutamine: "Glutamine is also a critical part of our digestive system. It is the primary nutrient for the cells of the intestinal lining where it helps regulate cellular reproduction. Through this mechanism, glutamine helps prevent and rebuild a leaky gut which is common in people with inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. For this reason glutamine supplementation has been shown to be very effective in individuals with ulcerative colitis, CELIAC DISEASE, Crohn's disease, & irritable bowel syndrome." So now have removed everything but the sprouted rice, back on fruit and beans and have added those things that are high in glutamine. Since I eat plant based I can't get glutamine from meat so lots of raw spinach beets parsley cabbage celery kale brussel sprouts and especially red cabbage --in salads and smoothies. So hopefully I am on the mend--miss my weight loss coffee but its not worth getting sick over.     
    • I got the link fine but if I recall correctly I am a member of Medscape - I believe I just plain signed up for it - I know there isn't any fee for anything I sign up for otherwise I think very long and very hard whether it's going to be worth my money or not.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member