22 replies to this topic

#16 itchygirl

itchygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

As soon as I got my cholesterol up I feel better. My cholesterol was 98 due to malapsorption, now I still have to struggle to keep it about 150. Low cholesterol has been linked with depression, suicide-but there is an incredible amount of controversy about this so all I can really go on is my own personal experience.
For every study like this
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/352216.stm
There is another study (generally funded by the cholesterol lowering drug manufacturers) refuting it.
So I strongly second aikiducky's good fats recomendation! :)
I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

Many have found by doing SCD or Paleo type diets and dropping virtually all carbs and sugar and just eating plain foods that the first things to resolve are the 'mental' problems, often even before the GI problems.

I am convinced that so many of us are actually carb intolerant rather than just Gluten, which would explain why so many have an initial improvement but then start to regress as they end up replacing the gluten with different carbs that they then also become intolerant to.

It may be that once the gut is healed and bacterial issues are resolved we can cope with some carbohydrate - the problem is that in what is considered to be a 'normal' diet we actually consume far more than the body can cope with and that is why it gets out of balance and becomes sick. Communities that do not eat the type and/or quantity of Carbs that we do, do not suffer the 'Western' diseases that we do.

I have been gluten-free/DF for nearly 2 months and doing the SCD for 2 weeks and am beginning to see a benefit already as I am now able to tolerate a few more foods than I was. I am sleeping better, my restless legs have calmed down, my heart is no longer pounding and I am less stressed. I will keep it going for some time at least until I have the bacteria under control and my gut has healed and see if I can then start to introduce and cope with other foods.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#18 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

I had significant improvement in my depression and anxiety about 3 mo in . .. i cut out dairy and gluten at the same time, and adding b12 seemed to help. However, i'm on a much stricter diet now (only eating about 25 foods) and i dropped all supplements becuase i want to add them like I would a food. I'd been doing better, until hay-fever season hit. I had a manic evening 2 weeks ago, and I've been feeling occaionally depressed recently, tho I think its partly because I'm having so much trouble breathing, and also because I'm so down about being on such a limited diet and still being sick. My stomach has hurt non-stop for 2 days and I have no idea why . . . well, unless its the meat I finally added back in to my diet .. . grrr.
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

#19 itchygirl

itchygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I'm not too sure of the responses on this thread.

I don't see why it would take 18 months for the intestinal tract to heal.

Celiac is a lot more than just a gut problem-its a systemic autoimmune disease which can have a profound neurological impact. This is an interesting article on anti-gangloside antibodies causing neuropathy in celiac....
http://www.celiacdis...od_in_neuro.pdf
its really complicated.
I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

#20 geokozmo

geokozmo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:40 AM

I am so glad my depression lifted. i suffered from it in all my 53 three years and then last year Is tarted to eat gluten-free and it lifted...in a few weeks. And also my compensating compulsive erotical manias subdued or diminished. I never have been so healthy - I also stopped all acidic food (because I have polyurea - intersticial cystitis). I am frightened when i hear about cases where the depresive moods did not lift. i hope mine stays as it is now - lifted. (I lose this when I get - involuntarily - glutened but only for a day). Geo Kozmos

#21 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:37 AM

My anxiety about traveling continued for a quite a while and still pops up some 7 years later. My wife also has to point out every now and then that I'm hoarding/buying too much food, something I didn't use to do. Overal,l though, my mental state was much better in about a year.

richard

#22 veggienft

veggienft

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

Many have found by doing SCD or Paleo type diets and dropping virtually all carbs and sugar and just eating plain foods that the first things to resolve are the 'mental' problems, often even before the GI problems.

I am convinced that so many of us are actually carb intolerant rather than just Gluten, which would explain why so many have an initial improvement but then start to regress as they end up replacing the gluten with different carbs that they then also become intolerant to.

It may be that once the gut is healed and bacterial issues are resolved we can cope with some carbohydrate - the problem is that in what is considered to be a 'normal' diet we actually consume far more than the body can cope with and that is why it gets out of balance and becomes sick. Communities that do not eat the type and/or quantity of Carbs that we do, do not suffer the 'Western' diseases that we do.

I have been gluten-free/DF for nearly 2 months and doing the SCD for 2 weeks and am beginning to see a benefit already as I am now able to tolerate a few more foods than I was. I am sleeping better, my restless legs have calmed down, my heart is no longer pounding and I am less stressed. I will keep it going for some time at least until I have the bacteria under control and my gut has healed and see if I can then start to introduce and cope with other foods.

Ditto on cutting down on carbs. Medical science used to lump depression and bipolar disorder into a catchall called "mitochondrial disease" .....meaning the mitochondria you inherited from your mother was inferior at turning food into energy. And that disturbance led to others.

There's also lots of recent research showing that omega 3 fatty acid is instrumental in reducing depression and bipolar disorder. Why? The jury's apparently still out, but here's my guess. Celiac disease is a disease of the membranes. Lipids control chemical access to and through membranes, especially in the central nervous system. Fatty acids are the building blocks of lipids, and the remover of spent lipids.

Omega 3 oils are needed to make these processes work properly.

I've challenged myself with omega 3 oil, and with removing Omega 3 oil over several-week periods. There's a subtle but extreme difference in my mood and overall inflamation on and off of omega 3 oil.

#23 Larapiz

Larapiz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

I was helped a lot when I quit gluten and some other foods. But my spells of despair didn't go away until I figured out all the food intolerances. It took me about 3 years.
Good idea to do an elimination diet, in other words.
I was probably also helped by taking omega-3's. I take a kind that's made from algae, with EPA and DHA, from water4.net.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: