19 replies to this topic

#1 mellajane

mellajane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

I have been gluten free for three years now and for the last 2 months have been itching like it is dry skin. It comes and goes. I have been using tide for years now... I did use some bounce sheets what is it thats making me itch.I have been slowly eliminating my skin products but no real solid result...
"There is always a Brighter side to every situation"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

I have been gluten free for three years now and for the last 2 months have been itching like it is dry skin. It comes and goes. I have been using tide for years now... I did use some bounce sheets what is it thats making me itch.I have been slowly eliminating my skin products but no real solid result...

Try switching to a different detergent for awhile. I used to use Tide for many years, then seemed to develop a sensitivity to it. I switched to Purex HE (for front load washers)...bonus is that it is much cheaper than Tide. I also stopped using Bounce...even the unscented version caused problems for my skin. A vinegar rinse in the wash helps to remove detergent residue, eliminate odours and reduces static cling nicely. :)

Michelle

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

I've never been able to use Tide or powdered laundry detergents(not related to celiac disease as far as I know). I've used All Free and Clear for years and years but have to be careful not to use too much or it doesn't rinse out enough and bothers me. My sister used the new All Free and Clear concentrated in the smaller bottle and it bothers her alot, so I'd say stick to the reg. strength. I haven't verified with the company but there's nothing on the label to indicate a problem.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

I had to switch to the All Allergen Free, my hubbie has acquired very sensitive skin since going through chemo, and it has helped him and I have not had any problems. We have been using it almost 2 years now.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#5 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

Tide's bothered me since childhood. There's something in it that drives my skin crazy. We recently switched to free and clear detergent, and it seems to work well.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

#6 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:25 PM

Tide makes people itch. I hate Tide.

I do not have celiac or DH, but everytime I try Tide, I want to scratch my skin off. Therefore, I never use it on purpose. I tried a sample that came in the mail once on some sheets, and made my husband get out of bed (at 2 a.m.) so I could change the sheets!

Tide is bad. :ph34r:

FWIW, in Canada all detergents manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive are gluten-free.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#7 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

Tide makes people itch. I hate Tide.

I do not have celiac or DH, but everytime I try Tide, I want to scratch my skin off. Therefore, I never use it on purpose. I tried a sample that came in the mail once on some sheets, and made my husband get out of bed (at 2 a.m.) so I could change the sheets!

Tide is bad. :ph34r:

FWIW, in Canada all detergents manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive are gluten-free.

Tide isn't bad for everyone, it really depends on what you're sensitive to. For me, Sunlight is much, much worse...I end up feeling like I have chemical burns on my skin from washing my clothes in it...the itching just won't end! I also cannot tolerate their dishwashing liquids...instant eczema and splitting finger tips. :(

Michelle

#8 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:49 AM

I never heard of Sunlight, I wonder if it is not sold around me. I used to get this really nice sweet smelling Downy, but switched for John not myself.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#9 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

I have never been able to use tide since childhood. I donno why for sure. I use bounce with no issues but the one with the bear makes me itch. I have used Sun and Purex with Reinutz in it with no problem now for a few years. My daughter also reacts to same thing. I donno what it is.
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

#10 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

Tide is a detergent and like many detergents it can bother people's skin - so can the bounce sheets. As suggested, try another brand of detergent. As a side note- we often see skin problems in dogs that resolve once the owner switches to different laundry soap - dog have blankets or other bedding that gets washed , then they sleep on it for hours. The skin reaction is referred to as "contact dermatitis".
The suggestion to add vinegar to final rinse - or do extra rinse is something we suggest for the animals bedding too. ... and not to use a dryer sheet.

I know this isn't practical for people, but we have suggested in the past that an owner use a hypoallergenic shampoo and wash the pet's bedding /blankets with that - rather than try a bunch of different detergents - use something you know doesnt bother the pet's skin.

Good luck - skin itchies can drive you bonkers!

Sandy

#11 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

All normal detergents will make me itch so badly I will scratch myself bloody. I switched to the Lame Advertisement brand of liquid detergent and fabric softener years ago, and the itching stopped after I washed ALL of my clothing and bed linen when I switched (right, everything, it took me days). My son's itching stopped at the same time.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

I've never been able to use Tide. It drives me nuts! I use All free and clear. It's way cheaper and it's much easier on my whole family's skin. We like it much better than Tide.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#13 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:10 AM

I have your symptoms exactly. (itchy like dry skin but no rash etc. comes and goes) Mine also started a couple of months ago. (must be the water in Virginia). We are in the process of experementing with different laundry products. I actually bought some Tide a while back when we could not get Arm and Hammer. Right now we are going to try All free and clear and see what happens. Will post results.

Tom

#14 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:15 AM

Tide always bothered my brother, when we were kids anyways.

On another note--it is winter and it could be dry skin. My skin is much worse this time of year. The heat being on in the house dries the air out which dries our skin too. Just a thought!
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#15 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:18 AM

Tide has always made me itchy.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users