This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Itchys From Tide..

mellajane

mellajane Explorer

I have been gluten free for three years now and for the last 2 months have been itching like it is dry skin. It comes and goes. I have been using tide for years now... I did use some bounce sheets what is it thats making me itch.I have been slowly eliminating my skin products but no real solid result...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor
I have been gluten free for three years now and for the last 2 months have been itching like it is dry skin. It comes and goes. I have been using tide for years now... I did use some bounce sheets what is it thats making me itch.I have been slowly eliminating my skin products but no real solid result...

Try switching to a different detergent for awhile. I used to use Tide for many years, then seemed to develop a sensitivity to it. I switched to Purex HE (for front load washers)...bonus is that it is much cheaper than Tide. I also stopped using Bounce...even the unscented version caused problems for my skin. A vinegar rinse in the wash helps to remove detergent residue, eliminate odours and reduces static cling nicely. :)

Michelle

missy'smom Collaborator

I've never been able to use Tide or powdered laundry detergents(not related to celiac disease as far as I know). I've used All Free and Clear for years and years but have to be careful not to use too much or it doesn't rinse out enough and bothers me. My sister used the new All Free and Clear concentrated in the smaller bottle and it bothers her alot, so I'd say stick to the reg. strength. I haven't verified with the company but there's nothing on the label to indicate a problem.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I had to switch to the All Allergen Free, my hubbie has acquired very sensitive skin since going through chemo, and it has helped him and I have not had any problems. We have been using it almost 2 years now.

heathen Apprentice

Tide's bothered me since childhood. There's something in it that drives my skin crazy. We recently switched to free and clear detergent, and it seems to work well.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Tide makes people itch. I hate Tide.

I do not have celiac or DH, but everytime I try Tide, I want to scratch my skin off. Therefore, I never use it on purpose. I tried a sample that came in the mail once on some sheets, and made my husband get out of bed (at 2 a.m.) so I could change the sheets!

Tide is bad. :ph34r:

FWIW, in Canada all detergents manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive are gluten-free.

Michi8 Contributor
Tide makes people itch. I hate Tide.

I do not have celiac or DH, but everytime I try Tide, I want to scratch my skin off. Therefore, I never use it on purpose. I tried a sample that came in the mail once on some sheets, and made my husband get out of bed (at 2 a.m.) so I could change the sheets!

Tide is bad. :ph34r:

FWIW, in Canada all detergents manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive are gluten-free.

Tide isn't bad for everyone, it really depends on what you're sensitive to. For me, Sunlight is much, much worse...I end up feeling like I have chemical burns on my skin from washing my clothes in it...the itching just won't end! I also cannot tolerate their dishwashing liquids...instant eczema and splitting finger tips. :(

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I never heard of Sunlight, I wonder if it is not sold around me. I used to get this really nice sweet smelling Downy, but switched for John not myself.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I have never been able to use tide since childhood. I donno why for sure. I use bounce with no issues but the one with the bear makes me itch. I have used Sun and Purex with Reinutz in it with no problem now for a few years. My daughter also reacts to same thing. I donno what it is.

2kids4me Contributor

Tide is a detergent and like many detergents it can bother people's skin - so can the bounce sheets. As suggested, try another brand of detergent. As a side note- we often see skin problems in dogs that resolve once the owner switches to different laundry soap - dog have blankets or other bedding that gets washed , then they sleep on it for hours. The skin reaction is referred to as "contact dermatitis".

The suggestion to add vinegar to final rinse - or do extra rinse is something we suggest for the animals bedding too. ... and not to use a dryer sheet.

I know this isn't practical for people, but we have suggested in the past that an owner use a hypoallergenic shampoo and wash the pet's bedding /blankets with that - rather than try a bunch of different detergents - use something you know doesnt bother the pet's skin.

Good luck - skin itchies can drive you bonkers!

Sandy

Ursa Major Collaborator

All normal detergents will make me itch so badly I will scratch myself bloody. I switched to the Lame Advertisement brand of liquid detergent and fabric softener years ago, and the itching stopped after I washed ALL of my clothing and bed linen when I switched (right, everything, it took me days). My son's itching stopped at the same time.

Guhlia Rising Star

I've never been able to use Tide. It drives me nuts! I use All free and clear. It's way cheaper and it's much easier on my whole family's skin. We like it much better than Tide.

par18 Apprentice

I have your symptoms exactly. (itchy like dry skin but no rash etc. comes and goes) Mine also started a couple of months ago. (must be the water in Virginia). We are in the process of experementing with different laundry products. I actually bought some Tide a while back when we could not get Arm and Hammer. Right now we are going to try All free and clear and see what happens. Will post results.

Tom

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Tide always bothered my brother, when we were kids anyways.

On another note--it is winter and it could be dry skin. My skin is much worse this time of year. The heat being on in the house dries the air out which dries our skin too. Just a thought!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Tide has always made me itchy.

Michi8 Contributor
I have your symptoms exactly. (itchy like dry skin but no rash etc. comes and goes) Mine also started a couple of months ago. (must be the water in Virginia). We are in the process of experementing with different laundry products. I actually bought some Tide a while back when we could not get Arm and Hammer. Right now we are going to try All free and clear and see what happens. Will post results.

Tom

I think the water could very well be a culprit too. Sometimes I suspect it's the water here that troubles my skin more than soaps or detergents...especially when I have no issue with my soap (for sensitive skin) for long stretches of time, then, all of a sudden, my skin will be burning and itching.

Seems to be a cyclical thing. I wonder if it's a combination of winter dryness and levels of chloramine and/or trace minerals & chemicals in the water...the levels do change throughout the year. Chloramine (chlorine & ammonia) also doesn't dissipate from the water with aeration like chlorine does, and I know I'm very sensitive to chlorine on my skin. I won't drink the tap water anymore either because of the chloramine.

Michelle

• 2 years later...
mleeanne Newbie

Try switching to a different detergent for awhile. I used to use Tide for many years, then seemed to develop a sensitivity to it. I switched to Purex HE (for front load washers)...bonus is that it is much cheaper than Tide. I also stopped using Bounce...even the unscented version caused problems for my skin. A vinegar rinse in the wash helps to remove detergent residue, eliminate odours and reduces static cling nicely. :)

Michelle

I read that white distilled vinegar can contain gluten depending on the type of grain used to distill it so you might want to be careful about which type of vinegar you use.

• 3 months later...
Terrified Mom Newbie

Consider Charlie's Soap. You can't get it in the regular grocery store, but it can be ordered online or bought at Whole Foods. It's completely biodegradable, all natural, etc etc., and rinses clean away, eliminating the need for fabric softeners. A $10 bag (that's what I paid at WFM a few days ago) about the size of a small bag of cornmeal washes 80 loads. I use half the amount and get 160 loads out of it. Can't beat it.

If you decide to try it, you WILL need to run the washer empty with a full scoop to wash away the residue from your old detergent. If your washer has a few years on it it will look like the suds are about to overflow. After your washer is cleaned out, you will be shocked at how low sudsing Charlie's is. That's how much detergent buildup is in your washer! I absolutely LOVE Charlie's. For scent I add a few drops of lavender oil to the rinse cycle, but you can also just enjoy the smell (or lack of!) pure CLEAN. It may take a couple washes in Charlie's before you will see how soft your clothes can be without Bounce or Downy, but trust me, once all those brighteners, etc., are washed away the difference is amazing!

tarnalberry Community Regular

For any of the other pregnant women on the forum thinking about doing cloth diapering, Charlie's Soap is talked about as being one of the better detergents to use for cleaning cloth diapers. We've been using it (exclusively, per the residue issues mentioned in the previous post) since we got our cloth diapers in and had to do the pre-wash, and it's been working great. (Haven't used it on soiled diapers yet, 'cause the baby hasn't come out yet! :P)

Terrified Mom Newbie

For any of the other pregnant women on the forum thinking about doing cloth diapering, Charlie's Soap is talked about as being one of the better detergents to use for cleaning cloth diapers. We've been using it (exclusively, per the residue issues mentioned in the previous post) since we got our cloth diapers in and had to do the pre-wash, and it's been working great. (Haven't used it on soiled diapers yet, 'cause the baby hasn't come out yet! :P)

That's what led me to Charlie's Soap!

Want to point out, though, if you do use Charlie's for cloth diapers, you really must use it for ALL of your laundry. Since Charlie's cleans out the other detergents from the washer, it can cause those other detergents to settle into the diapers which can cause problems on baby's skin. There are a few stories of babies with chemical burns once baby peed in a diaper washed in Charlies in a washer where Charlies was not used exclusively.

WTG for choosing cloth! My son is out of diapers now and I miss them terribly. Who'd have thought potty training would be so bittersweet? LOL

Archived