This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Don't Think That Its Dandruff Anymore....

Canadiangirl

Canadiangirl Apprentice

Thoughts!?!

I have had this patch of scalp for about 6 months that wont go away. I have tried all diff. shampoos, non-gluten, dandruff etc. I am starting to think it may be have something to do with celiac.

Its a specific patch on my scalp near the front of my head/hairline that peels no matter what I do. Sometimes itchy, but mostly just flakes in big chunks. Its gross! And it wont go away:(

-canadian girl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LisaJ Apprentice

I had the same problem for about a year and tried every over the counter product there was - nothing helped at all. Finally went to the doctor and got a topical steroid for it. Worked wonders - I wish I would've gone to the doctor sooner!

lovegrov Collaborator

Sounds like psoriasis.

richard

lonewolf Collaborator
Sounds like psoriasis.

Richard beat me to it. I have psoriasis and it's just like this in my scalp. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone away by going gluten-free (or egg-free, dairy-free or soy-free). Cortisone cream should be helpful and you could also ask to try some Dovonex - it's a prescription Vitamin D cream.

stennis07 Newbie

Yea... I wasn't convinced it was dandriff either. So I went to the derm and he was like..."well...uh...psoriasis"......OK. WELL... the stuff he's prescribed me hasn't been working. And it's RIGHT on my hairline--quite embarassing. ---Itchy, dry, flaky, red little bumbs.--- Grr.

I'm getting tested next week for celiac...so I'm thinkin this might be DH. The doctors havn't said ANYTHING about it...just that I may have celiac...(which I prolly DO have (my blood tests were high positive...but my scans were negative)>>>>soooo YA!! Tube-down-the-throat-time! :angry:

Oh well...I'm thankful that I have found doctors that are willing to do their job and figure out whats wrong with me>> it's been about 3/4 of a year....vs. some people where it may take years--*my prayers are with them*

ROM. 5:3-5

Generic Apprentice

I know that as DH heals it leaves a purple scar behind. Allot of people with celiac do suffer from psoriasis, and it tends to get better after going gluten free. Some people suffer from it regardless, if they are gluten-free or not. It can also be triggered by food allergies. My daughter's friend gets it when she eats pork or corn.

-Laurie

lovegrov Collaborator

I would go ahead and get tested for DH, but believe me psoriasis is completely unpredictable. The stuff I got got for my scalp has done little good, while the psoriasis on other parts has reacted in different ways. Some has disappeared completely, some has gotten better but is not gone, and some hasn't improved at all.

BTW, I didn't have psoriasis at all until after going gluten-free. You just never know.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadiangirl Apprentice

this is all great feedback thank you! i will see my doctor about it....

canadian girl :)

debmidge Rising Star

husband had patches on hairline which looked like psoriasis (forgive spelling) and in eyebrows and on middle of chest and after going gluten-free they are gone. For years we thought it was "psoriasis."

Archived