This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any One In Jacksonville, Fl Or Southern Ga

nothing but nicole

nothing but nicole Apprentice

I need as much support as I can get, if anyone in Jacksonville, Orange Park and surrounding areas (there are too many to name) or southern Georgia would like to talk let me know! I am just looking for support and friends, nothing else!

I enjoyed cooking until this (hopefully someday soon I will enjoy it again), anything out doors (mountains since I am from CO, beaches here), being social, reading, movies and Im sure there is more but who wants to read all that right?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReneCox Contributor

Hey Nicole. I'm not from Jacksonville but I am from Tallahassee, FL...not too far away. I too LOVE teh beach!!

• 3 months later...
kay777 Newbie
I need as much support as I can get, if anyone in Jacksonville, Orange Park and surrounding areas (there are too many to name) or southern Georgia would like to talk let me know! I am just looking for support and friends, nothing else!

I enjoyed cooking until this (hopefully someday soon I will enjoy it again), anything out doors (mountains since I am from CO, beaches here), being social, reading, movies and Im sure there is more but who wants to read all that right?

Hey! I'm from the area! Orange Park...Jacksonville! I know you wrote this in Febuary...it is now June but what the Hey!

• 5 months later...
Harobed Newbie
Hey! I'm from the area! Orange Park...Jacksonville! I know you wrote this in Febuary...it is now June but what the Hey!

I am from Jacksonville....newby here. I'ld love to talk to both of you.

tallfran Apprentice

I'm in Savannah, GA, and get to Jacksonville on occasion, though mostly either to the airport or passing through on my way to see friends in Gaineville. I am an older female, no kids, not retired yet. Love being active, hiking, backpacking, etc.

Fran

• 2 months later...
ahtoad1 Newbie

Hi! My family and I are planning on moving to Orange Park, FL this summer. My husband is in the Navy and will be an intern at NAS JAX. I came across your post while searching for gluten-free stores in the Jacksonville area. My daughter Amelia was diagnosed with Celiac May 2006. I would love to talk with you about the area and about cooking gluten-free. I do a lot of baking/cooking and with the exception of gluten-free bread have been able to make everything we normally ate.

Thanks,

Angie

SAHM in Gaithersburg, MD to Daniel (9-1/2); Amelia (8 - dx'd w/Type 1 Diabetes 4/03, Celiac Sprue 5/06); Steven (6-1/2); & Meghan (4-1/2). Wife to Paul, active duty Navy/4th year (FINALLY!) medical student. Moving to Orange Park, FL 6/08!

• 1 month later...
EMD Newbie

Hi Angie,

I saw your post, and I'm not trying to blatantly plug my store, but I work in a health food store/deli in Yulee, Florida, just north of JAX. We have a great staff and lots of gluten free items. Let me know if you want more info, as I can't promote anything online.

Erin

Hi! My family and I are planning on moving to Orange Park, FL this summer. My husband is in the Navy and will be an intern at NAS JAX. I came across your post while searching for gluten-free stores in the Jacksonville area. My daughter Amelia was diagnosed with Celiac May 2006. I would love to talk with you about the area and about cooking gluten-free. I do a lot of baking/cooking and with the exception of gluten-free bread have been able to make everything we normally ate.

Thanks,

Angie

SAHM in Gaithersburg, MD to Daniel (9-1/2); Amelia (8 - dx'd w/Type 1 Diabetes 4/03, Celiac Sprue 5/06); Steven (6-1/2); & Meghan (4-1/2). Wife to Paul, active duty Navy/4th year (FINALLY!) medical student. Moving to Orange Park, FL 6/08!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
laurelfla Enthusiast

Jacksonville has a great store called Native Sun; lots of gluten free items and a person who checks to make sure that the gluten free stuff is truly gluten free; if not, she doesn't give it the colored price sticker that indicates gluten free stuff.

Lots of restaurants -- Maggiano's, PF Chang's, and Ted's Montana Grill in the St. John's Town Center, and I've heard that Roy's, Semolinas, the Wedge Cafe, Brick Restaurant, and Lemongrass will work with you on the diet, although this bit of hearsay is from 2005 and I haven't personally tried those restaurants.

There was a support group but as far as I know it is disbanded; I'm just guessing since I never heard back from the coordinator after one other person and I went to the Christmas Cookie Exchange in 2006 and no one else was there... I live in Gainesville, though, so I guess it wasn't that practical driving over every month. You are so lucky to be moving to Jax, I am jealous! I think it is wonderful. :D

roxie Contributor

Hey! I just noticed your replies. I also live in Jacksonville. I love it here (only a few minutes from the beach)! I also LOVE Native Sun - the labels make shopping so much easier. I also found a little health food store on Beach Blvd. that carries a ton of gluten free foods. I have found that some of the Publix stores also have a pretty good selection.

Tori F. Newbie

Hi , I live in Macclenney (30 miles west of Jacksonville) and I too am looking for some support and celiac disease pals. I am married and have two small children. I love cooking as well and I have been doing some great gluten-free baking. I also like shopping and scrapbooking. I would love to hear from you. Tori F.

roxie Contributor

Hey, - I live in jacksonville (not too far from the beach), and I'm 36 yrs. old. I have 3 children (10, 7, and 4). I'm trying to start baking gluten free desserts, but I'm having a hard time finding things that are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. Any suggestions?? I have made a chocolate cake, and pumpkin muffins so far, but I'm thinking that they may have both had soy in them, because I didn't feel the greatest after eating them. I also LOVE shopping!

• 2 weeks later...
redgf Rookie
Hey, - I live in jacksonville (not too far from the beach), and I'm 36 yrs. old. I have 3 children (10, 7, and 4). I'm trying to start baking gluten free desserts, but I'm having a hard time finding things that are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. Any suggestions?? I have made a chocolate cake, and pumpkin muffins so far, but I'm thinking that they may have both had soy in them, because I didn't feel the greatest after eating them. I also LOVE shopping!

Hey Roxie! I bake all the time, am in the end process of writing my own cookbook, and I use The Gluten Free Pantry's All Purpose Flour in all my recipes. It really acts like good old poisonous flour! It's also nice to only have to buy one flour for all your cooking needs. I have family of five and cook gluten free almost exclusively, feel free to ask me if you have any other questions about cooking gluten free!

• 3 weeks later...
kgoldman Newbie

I am new to Jacksonville and new to a gluten free diet. I am a newlywed -my husband is stationed at NS Mayport but we live further south in JAX. Do you all get together or does anyone know of any local support groups. I don't really know anyone here yet and I'm pretty overwhelmed by the diet. I read some of the posts though an I'm going to try to get to Native Sun today - I haven't had much luck since we've been here finding gluten-free products.

Kristy

CarolAnne Apprentice

Hello! My name is Carolanne...and I've lived in Florida for over 20 years. I'm not in Jacksonville...but over on the West Coast. I am a Celiac, and I've been Wheat-Free for 20 years, and Gluten-Free for over 3 years. I'm trying to locate people who live Gluten Free here in Florida...and it's not been easy. Most of the links I've found have been disconnected or discontinued...and I'm having a devil of time finding people to connect to. I'd really like to find others who are interested in getting together...and I understand that I am not alone. I've read several posts from people looking for help, Doctors, restaurants, support groups, meetups and such here in Florida.

GlutenFreeInFlorida-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I've created a Yahoo Group in the hopes of connecting with other people here in the Sunshine State...and to help others connect as well. I'd like to know if anyone is interested in something that will enable you to contact others in your own local area. I'd like to make more information available to people who are living Gluten-Free in Florida.

laurelfla Enthusiast

Hey, Jacksonville folks!

I'm over in Gainesville and I would so love to get together with any of you that are interested. There was supposed to be a meeting around here but I don't know if people have left for the summer or it just never materialized or what happened, but I haven't heard from anyone. I am definitely feeling the need to support and be supported! I used to drive over to Jax for support group meetings, so I don't mind the drive and I always like popping in Native Sun anyway. ;) We could meet somewhere on a Saturday afternoon for a little bit and exchange baked goods or recipes or just sit and talk. What do you say??

roxie Contributor

I'm in Jacksonville too. That sounds like it might be fun!

laurelfla Enthusiast

Could anyone suggest a place? We used to meet at the Baptist Hospital, but since this would be an informal, first meeting, maybe we could go somewhere more casual? Or even meet to eat out? I was thinking maybe Saturday, June 21. Let me know what you think! :D

ahtoad1 Newbie

Hey all,

We are now in Jax. I'll volunteer my house for a meeting, unfortunately, June 21st is already booked on our calendar. What about the 28th? Warning, though, we left the majority of our living room furniture behind when we moved and haven't replaced most of it yet. As long as you don't mind folding and patio chairs, welcome aboard!

Also, a friend recommended a store that just opened up, Grassroots. It is an organic market that does carry gluten-free items. They are mixed in with other products and takes some searching, but there is one close to our house. I've heard a lot about Native Sun but haven't ventured out to find one yet.

Thanks,

Angie

newly located in Orange Park, FL. SAHM to Daniel (10), Millie (8-1/2) Type 1 Diabetes, dx'd 4/15/03 and Celiac dx'd 5/5/06, Steven (7) and Meghan (nearly 5). Wife to Paul, Active Duty, US Navy, Family Medicine Intern at NAS JAX.

laurelfla Enthusiast

Hi, Angie!

The 28th would be fine for me -- thanks so much for volunteering! :) Can other people make it on the 28th??

Wow! I really havent kept up with my own post. I'm a little mad at myself for that now :angry: but hopefully we can all support each other. Its good to see that everyone is so willing to help one another. :) I'm still up for supporting each other as much as possible; weather it be actually all getting together or just finding ways to support each other through postings and emails. I'm fairly young with basically no family here so I definitely will take any help I can get and would love to be able to share some of the wisdom I've gained as well ;)

feel free to email me at nicole.nnfl@gmail.com

laurelfla Enthusiast

Hi, all!

Angie, I really appreciate your offer of a meeting place. It sounds like you have a lot going on, though, and I'd like to post the info about our meeting in other places as well, and I wouldn't want to be spreading your address all over the Internet! :)

So, I put in a request to the Baptist Medical Hospital downtown for a meeting room, where the old support group used to meet. They are supposed to get back to me as soon as they can. I requested a room for June 28 from 2-4pm (to be on the safe side, we might not want to meet that long, I don't know). This way it will be a place where we can spread out and not incovenience Angie! :D What do you guys think? I know everyone's busy, but it would be so nice to get together.

kgoldman Newbie

The 28th works for me! Sorry I've been out of the discussion for so long -we're out of town for two weeks! We'll be back by then and I would love to meet all of you!

Hi, all!

Angie, I really appreciate your offer of a meeting place. It sounds like you have a lot going on, though, and I'd like to post the info about our meeting in other places as well, and I wouldn't want to be spreading your address all over the Internet! :)

So, I put in a request to the Baptist Medical Hospital downtown for a meeting room, where the old support group used to meet. They are supposed to get back to me as soon as they can. I requested a room for June 28 from 2-4pm (to be on the safe side, we might not want to meet that long, I don't know). This way it will be a place where we can spread out and not incovenience Angie! :D What do you guys think? I know everyone's busy, but it would be so nice to get together.

As long as I know when and where I'll be there! :)

Tori F. Newbie

Hey Guys,

I'm Tori and I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for 3 months now. I would love to join your support group. I am 31 and live in Macclenny (30 miles west of Jacksonville). Thanks to Laurel for E-mailing me. By the way...Do you guys know of a good GI in the surrounding area? Mine has not been real helpful. He just scares me to death. Thanks, Tori

kgoldman Newbie

I'm just curious how many people will be coming on the 28th. I'll be there and I'm excited to meet all of you!

Kristy

Archived