Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Any One In Jacksonville, Fl Or Southern Ga

53 posts in this topic

We have been authorized to hold our meeting at Baptist Hospital! I'm so excited! :D

I just found out this morning, and I've written back to get the room number. I will post everything I find out here. For now, mark your calendars -

Saturday, June 28

2-4pm (although we don't have to stay that long if people don't want to!)

Baptist Hospital, Jacksonville

My husband (not Celiac, but very supportive!) and I will be bringing something to munch on, and a member from the group that used to meet is going to bring bread for us to try. He is a really good baker.

If you all would like to bring any food, feel free! Just make sure to bring an ingredient list or recipe so that those with other intolerances will know whether they can eat it.

Can't wait to meet you all!!!

Ads by Google:

Laurel I have to give you *Kudos* for pulling this all together. As well as notifying us that posted previously but hadnt been back in a while :rolleyes:

It is still tentative as to whether I have to work this weekend, If I do not I would love to meet up with you all! Thank you again so much for contacting me and pulling this together :D

Laurel I have to give you *Kudos* for pulling this all together. As well as notifying us that posted previously but hadnt been back in a while :rolleyes:

It is still tentative as to whether I have to work this weekend, If I do not I would love to meet up with you all! Thank you again so much for contacting me and pulling this together :D

Well, thank you! :D I'm just glad people still want to do it! I can't wait.

I am still back and forth with the contact at the hospital; I don't know why he won't just assign us a room and let that be it... it looks like he has narrowed it down to 2, so hopefully I will hear back from him again this afternoon so I can let you all know. At any rate, the address is

800 Prudential Drive

Jacksonville, Florida 32207

so anyone that needs to can map it. Depending on how easy the room is to find, I may be there early putting up signs to point the way. Parking is free, by the way, in the garage there.

Nicole, I hope you can make it! :)

We're on!

The room is at the Baptist Medical Center downtown on the 8th floor, the Doctors Dining Room. If it is the one I am thinking, you have to go through the cafeteria to get there.

See you this Saturday at 2pm! :)

We're on!

The room is at the Baptist Medical Center downtown on the 8th floor, the Doctors Dining Room. If it is the one I am thinking, you have to go through the cafeteria to get there.

See you this Saturday at 2pm! :)

Hi! Did you guys meet....are you meeting again? I just went back to this lead as a fluke? I have been wanting to connect with people in the area. Let me know!! Thanks!!

Hi Kay777!

We did indeed have a lovely meeting. We're meeting up again next Saturday, same bat time, same bat channel!

Sat. Aug 9

2-4pm

Baptist Medical Center downtown

8th floor Dining Room

Sure hope you can make it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Kay777!

We did indeed have a lovely meeting. We're meeting up again next Saturday, same bat time, same bat channel!

Sat. Aug 9

2-4pm

Baptist Medical Center downtown

8th floor Dining Room

Sure hope you can make it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks Laurel! I hope to be there! Do you park in the parking garage?

I am actually going to make an attempt to be there as well :D

Is anyone bringing anything...food or otherwise...

Hello again!

Yes, I park in the parking garage. Last time there was plenty of space. And I am planning on bringing something to snack on, although I don't know exactly what yet... Pamela's Products sent me some samples for our group, so I will have to see what is in the box. :D Don't feel like you have to bring anything... it's totally optional, just fun to have something to munch on while we talk, and try new things. Last time I took the Kinnikinnick "oreos" and some had never tried them before, so it was great to share! :)

Can't wait to meet new people!! See you Saturday!

Just a final reminder about our meeting tomorrow! Hope you can make it, 2pm at the Baptist Hospital. :D

Hey all,

We are now in Jax. I'll volunteer my house for a meeting, unfortunately, June 21st is already booked on our calendar. What about the 28th? Warning, though, we left the majority of our living room furniture behind when we moved and haven't replaced most of it yet. As long as you don't mind folding and patio chairs, welcome aboard!

Also, a friend recommended a store that just opened up, Grassroots. It is an organic market that does carry gluten-free items. They are mixed in with other products and takes some searching, but there is one close to our house. I've heard a lot about Native Sun but haven't ventured out to find one yet.

Thanks,

Angie

newly located in Orange Park, FL. SAHM to Daniel (10), Millie (8-1/2) Type 1 Diabetes, dx'd 4/15/03 and Celiac dx'd 5/5/06, Steven (7) and Meghan (nearly 5). Wife to Paul, Active Duty, US Navy, Family Medicine Intern at NAS JAX.

Hi Angie, I noticed you are from the Orange Park area and so am I. I have been wanting to make it to the Baptist support group, but I drive in Jacksonville all week long. I'm finding myself not wanting to go back on the weekend! I also notice you shop at Grassroots!! So glad they are here. Just offering, if you want, some local gluten free chit chat....I would love to find people close to home to talk with about....the gluten...casein...whatever thing!!! Hope your enjoying being in Orange Park. Kay

Hello again!

Well, we are on schedule for our next meeting, Sat, Sept 13 from 2-4pm at the same place at the Baptist Hospital downtown (8th floor, Doctors Dining Room). I am awaiting a final confirmation from the hospital, but there should be no problem. We'd love to see you! Since we've only had a couple of meetings, there still is not really any sort of program -- we just discuss whatever comes up, although we are in the process of planning a couple of events, including a Holiday Cookie Exchange for December. Bring anyone you want on the 13th, and if you wish, a snack to share. :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Just bumping this up to remind everyone of the meeting tomorrow! Please come! :D

Dine-Out this Saturday at PF Chang's

St. Johns Town Center, Jacksonville

2pm

Please let me know if you are planning on coming and whether you are bringing anyone. Also bring copies of your favorite gluten-free Thanksgiving recipes to share! :)

Hope to see you there!

-Laurel.

Holiday Cookie Exchange

Saturday, December 13

12:30-2:00pm

Baptist Hospital (downtown Jacksonville), 8th floor Doctors Dining Room

Bring enough of something to share, the list of ingredients, and Ziploc bags to carry home some goodies! We will have a drawing for a gift bag of Pamela's products. Family, friends, etc. are welcome.

Just bumping this up to remind everyone of our cookie exchange on Saturday! See previous post for details. Hope you can make it!!

I am a newly mostly self-diagnosed gluten intolerant. My mother, aunt, and sister have had tests. My tests came back with mixed reviews. Instead of spending up to $700 on the scope, I tried the diet. WOW!!! What a difference in so many symptoms! I then had an accidental ingestion. Thought I had the flu. I am now looking for local support and saw your posts. When are the meetings in Jacksonville? and where? I also have questions about whether to, and when to test my kids who also have other food allergies and are on already restricted diets. Any support and info would be great. I have been shopping at Native Sun and am excited to try Whole Foods. Thanks. -- Michelle

I received my diagnosis as a shock from my doctor on 10 Dec 2008 after a slighly elevated blood test and a biopsy that looked normal to the naked eye. I am asymptomatic and the celiac disease was discoverd as a result of investigation of elevated liver enzymes. I am, therefore, having difficulty accepting the gluten-free diet right here during the Holidays. I'm also on other dietary restrictions because of an undiagnosed liver disease which complicates matters even further. Holiday parties have been a challenge.

I live in the Mandarin area of Jacksonville near the new Whole Foods store on San Jose Blvd. I would love to meet others with this problem to exchange ideas and recipes. Whole Foods would be a great place to meet because I've found the store to be a life-saver to me.

Nancy T

Dear all,

I apologize to those who posted in December -- I didn't see the posts until now. I just wanted to let those of you in the area know that I am no longer organizing meetings in the Jacksonville area. I enjoyed doing that during the summer and fall, and we had a good time at the Holiday Cookie Exchange. However, there wasn't quite enough interest to keep it going, especially since I don't live in Jacksonville. I do hope someone will take charge of getting meetings together. You are so lucky to have both Native Sun and Whole Foods, and there does seem to be a sizeable population of gluten free people.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions or listen to rants or anything that you need here or by email, and if you're ever over in Gainesville and want to meet up, just let me know! ;) I enjoyed meeting those of you who came out last semester.

Hey, anyone in Green Cove Springs?

Orange Park, Palatka and Jax aren't too far.

I just learned yesterday That I am cursed with the Celiac disease. I am also looking for a support group near Orange park or Middleburg.

Welcome to the forum 12451j.

Sorry to hear you have celiac. You have come to a great place with a lot of great people! Read as much as you can and ask anything you need to.

I am not from your area so I can't help you there, sorry.

Welcome to the forum 12451j.

Sorry to hear you have celiac. You have come to a great place with a lot of great people! Read as much as you can and ask anything you need to.

I am not from your area so I can't help you there, sorry.

I would like to see if anyone has any recipes and I would like to know if small amounts of Gluten are ok.

What types of recipes are you looking for?

No. Small amounts of gluten are not ok. If you keep ingesting it you will keep doing damage to yourself.