7 replies to this topic

#1 shai76

shai76

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

I've been trying to be healthier and lose a few pounds and thought I would try to paleo diet since it seems to go well with my food allergies anyway. My problem is since I've been on it (6 days) I have had the diarrhea. Is this normal?
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Hmm, that is a new one to me since it stopped my diarrhea. Im sorry your dealing with it :(

Are you maybe having a candida die off? I know its a common symptom of that to have diarrhea. I wish I could help more but didnt find much when I did a search on the net for you. Hopefully someone will be able to answer better.

#3 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:47 AM

How are you preparing the foods? any frying in oils?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#4 Mayflowers

Mayflowers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:53 AM

I read in Protein Power that diarrhea is common when people go on a low carb diet.
You must be not eating very many carbs even though the Paleo Diet isn't as low carb as Atkins.
I also get it when I first start a low carb diet. It should clear up in a week or two. It's your body adjusting to the new way of eating.
HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)
Antigliadin IgA 72
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

#5 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

I did not get that; however, I have been plagued with C my whole life, which cleared up with Paleo -- so maybe I would've gotten it had my problem been D. I will say this:

the other day I walked the 2-1/2 miles to school and when i got there (barely in time) had to sit on the pot for 20 minutes with scary D. (Never mind the misery of public pooping.) I thought about it. I was definitely not glutened. I think it was walnuts. I had had a huge blob of walnuts and prunes the day before (okay, prunes are a bit notorious too)...

nuts can be hard to digest. So if you've been eating lots of those....?

Hope you feel better. If not, maybe you can ease into Paleo...

#6 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

Are you eating something you don't normally eat?

#7 shai76

shai76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

I haven't been eating too differently. I normally eat a little bit of rice every day and that's it for grains. Today I had a cup of rice and my D is gone. I don't know if the diet is right for me. :huh:
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

#8 Sinenox

Sinenox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

I don't have a ton of experience with the condition. My experience is in changing locals and diets often. If you switched to the Paleo diet and started to have D right away, there's a high probability that it's due to an increased consumption of fruit/nuts/veg. Switching from a high-carb diet to a mostly-protein diet will due that to a lot of people. If you keep fruits and nuts to a low and up the rice for a few days, I bet that it goes away. Just an idea. ;)
Hereditary Celiac Disease
(misdiagnosed: thyroid, fibro., anemia, lupus, GERD, lactose intol.)
Possible additional sensitivity to soy, legumes.

All these strange symptoms are starting to make sense.
So happy to have found you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: