This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Possible?

FeedIndy

FeedIndy Contributor

I started the gluten free diet on Monday at the recommendation of my doctor-even with negative test results. I have been slightly overweight since my 1st pregnancy. I haven't done anything extra to lose weight other than cutting out the gluten (which wasn't much since I already cooked evening meals gluten free for my girls). I lost 4 pounds in 4 days-is that even possible or safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, it is possible, and also perfectly safe. Because you've just lost excess fluids your body was holding onto.

When I first started the gluten-free diet, I lost 20 pounds in less than a month. I used to have terribly swollen feet and legs by night, and I know my hands were swollen, too, and so was my face. Now I rarely swell.

If you're going to lose fat, it will take a lot more time. About one pound every week to a month is healthy. I am sure your weight loss will slow down soon, and then will be much slower after that.

So, nothing to worry about, be glad that you're losing all that extra fluid.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

My 3rd child was born in August of 05 - and from that point until I went 100% gluten free, in November of 06, I'd lost nothing. I could eat nothing and would still not drop any weight at all. It was horribly frustrating.

I initially started the gluten free diet in June of 06 - and lost a few pounds right off the bat. However, I was not committed and "cheated" quite often. Naturally... I constantly made myself sick by doing so.

In November of 06 I decided "that's it" and I went 100% gluten free. Since that day - I've lost more than 40 lbs, with NO effort at all. (I hit the 40 lbs mark on 2.7.07 - 40 lbs in a little less than 3 months)

I still have a bit to lose before I'm back to pre-baby weight, but I am feeling better than I've felt in years, and looking much better as well! =)

tiffjake Enthusiast

I lost 8 pounds in the first week of being gluten-free! It was all water weight, and it was so much that people noticed and said "your face looks thinner"!! I have noticed that for me, when I have gluten, I get bloated, and can gain 5 pounds of water over night!!! So, yes, I think your reaction is normal, whatever normal is....

jerseyangel Proficient

In the several months before I was diagnosed, I was very ill and lost 15 pounds. Immediately after starting the diet, I lost a few more--probably due to water weight.

Over the next 2 months, I put on 10 pounds.

zansu Rookie

I, too, lost significant weight (30 pounds in 3 weeks) when I went gluten free. I used to fluctuate 5-7 lbs a day -- but couldn't get the Drs to see this as a symptom.

• 2 weeks later...
holiday16 Enthusiast

I am so glad to see this thread! After I had my last daughter I could not lose the weight. Took me a couple years to realize it was water weight. I used medication to control it and through trial and error we found that Strattera works. I lost almost 30 lbs. of water. I went gluten free around Oct. and I have noticed if I accidentally have gluten I get very thirsty and gain water weight.

I still have 3-5 excess lbs. that will not stay off and I suspect MSG, but may have to do a full elimination diet to really figure it out. Not looking forward to that. I did it once before, but I guess I need to do it longer.

I also found through alot of searching that there are some women that after they have children had ths same problem and it makes me wonder if they had gluten intolerance as well that was triggered by the pregnancy. The hard part is many Drs. don't take it seriously and I'm so thankful mine did. As he said with as many calories as it takes to gain and lose weight when you fluctuate that much it's water!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UR Groovy Explorer

8 lbs. in 10 days here. Haven

PeggyV Apprentice

Same for me I lost about 6 lbs the first 2 weeks, I figured it was from all the bloating. I know I am eating more calories, or at least the same. I havent gained it back.

andreagrant Apprentice

Wow--I was asking myself the same question! I went gluten-free a week ago and I don't have a scale but my pants were literally falling off me the last 2 days. I also don't feel bloated or gassy at all this week, which is a miracle!

Cuervo Rookie

I'm really confused, because I"m gaining weight. I have only been on the diet for a week and a half (I was just diagnosed) and have gained 4 pounds so far. I don't understand it. I lost a lot of weight and want to stay how I am now.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
I'm really confused, because I"m gaining weight. I have only been on the diet for a week and a half (I was just diagnosed) and have gained 4 pounds so far. I don't understand it. I lost a lot of weight and want to stay how I am now.

Cuervo,

I'm very active, and noticed that on the gluten-free diet I lost a little weight right at first, then gained a bit, but my clothes feel better. I've mostly noticed an improvement in my training. Despite not getting to the gym as often, I'm lifting a little more, and my stamina during exertion is better. I recently paddled a long, hard kayak run I'd done 2 years ago. I remember being EXHAUSTED after the run then, this time I was merely tired. I believe that I'm building muscle, perhaps muscle that didn't build due to nutrition problems before. You might not have had excess weight to lose, and are now gaining good weight/muscle.

I have noticed that with even a tiny amount of gluten, I get very sick, and my weight jumps 5-8 pounds VERY quickly (over 1-2 days), but I can lose that weight very quickly again, making me think it's just water retention.

Are you being VERY careful with avoiding gluten?

Geoff

anerissara Enthusiast
My 3rd child was born in August of 05 - and from that point until I went 100% gluten free, in November of 06, I'd lost nothing. I could eat nothing and would still not drop any weight at all. It was horribly frustrating.

That's *exactly* my story! It was so frustrating, I couldn't lose the weight after baby #3 no matter what I did. I could seriously not eat a thing for several days, and if any weight dropped off at all it would ALL come back the second I ate anything....even a stick of celery would cause me to gain 3 pounds. :angry:

The first week gluten-free, I lost 3 pounds...the first month, I bet I dropped 10. Even though I weigh about the same as I did before my 3ed baby (well, maybe a little less) I *look* lots thinner because my face isn't retaining water anymore!

Plus, I had more energy again and became more active...

Now if I get glutened one of the ways I can tell is that I will gain 3 pounds....always 3....overnight in water weight. Yuck!

Cuervo Rookie
Cuervo,

I'm very active, and noticed that on the gluten-free diet I lost a little weight right at first, then gained a bit, but my clothes feel better. I've mostly noticed an improvement in my training. Despite not getting to the gym as often, I'm lifting a little more, and my stamina during exertion is better. I recently paddled a long, hard kayak run I'd done 2 years ago. I remember being EXHAUSTED after the run then, this time I was merely tired. I believe that I'm building muscle, perhaps muscle that didn't build due to nutrition problems before. You might not have had excess weight to lose, and are now gaining good weight/muscle.

I have noticed that with even a tiny amount of gluten, I get very sick, and my weight jumps 5-8 pounds VERY quickly (over 1-2 days), but I can lose that weight very quickly again, making me think it's just water retention.

Are you being VERY careful with avoiding gluten?

Geoff

I am trying. It is only week two, so as for the meals, yes I am staying away completely. The only thing that I may be having a little is in the sauces for my stir fry (but I have only had it twice). Otherwise I think I am. I have been reading everything very carefully. My stomach has really been hurting though the last two days as if I did eat something, but I don't have a clue what it was. I have been basically eating the same thing every day.

Mayflowers Contributor

I wish I lost weight. I think I lost 2 pounds and put it right back on. It's been harder to lose weight for me since I went gluten free. I need to lose 25 pounds. I think people who keep losing had an allergy to wheat also besides the intolerance. I wasn't allergic to wheat, just gluten intolerant. Just my two cents.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
I am trying. It is only week two, so as for the meals, yes I am staying away completely. The only thing that I may be having a little is in the sauces for my stir fry (but I have only had it twice). Otherwise I think I am. I have been reading everything very carefully. My stomach has really been hurting though the last two days as if I did eat something, but I don't have a clue what it was. I have been basically eating the same thing every day.

Well, I'm no expert, I've only been gluten-free a few months. But I've found it pretty tricky. The obvious is easy, it's the hidden sources that aren't so I haven't looked for the gluten free stuff yet.

I think that our bodies get used to eating things, so anytime you have such a dramatic shift in your diet, it's likely to wonder what's up. It's part of that great survival mechanism. It's like people who cut calories too much to lose weight, and then their body reacts by conserving every calorie it can. Your body is probably still reacting to this strange new diet. I'd suggest varying it more, otherwise it'll make it harder to stick to.

I find it takes me a a week or 10 days to feel better after an accidental glutening. Keep at it, and I'll bet you feel better soon.

If you're uncertain about the sauces, stop eating them. This isn't our court system. Foods aren't innocent until proven glutenous. They are glutenous until proven innocent. Some times that's easy, sometimes it's not. But it helps to think like that.

It seems that many celiacs also have other food issues. Not surprising, considering the damage to our internals, but a drag. I'd suggest keeping a food diary, or at least pay careful attention to what you're eating and when you feel best/worst. I'm about 80% certain I'm having issues with corn, so I'm starting a corn free diet for a few weeks, then I'll reintroduce.

Good luck!

Geoff

UR Groovy Explorer
The only thing that I may be having a little is in the sauces for my stir fry (but I have only had it twice).

Cuervo,

My 2 cents:

Watch those sauces - especially stir fry stuff. Anything with soy sauce will most likely be a problem. Those salad dressings and sauces will really fool you. Read the labels VERY carefully. MSG could also be a problem (not a gluten problem, but an intolerance issue). It is for me. It goes by many names. You may want to watch for this.

I'd stay away from any sauces that you're not certain about. I make all my sauces and dressings from fresh foods & herbs - cilantro, parsley, stuff like that.

I've also heard that you can use tamari (sp?) if you're in need of some soy sauce in a recipe. Haven't done this myself, so I'm not absolutely sure about it.

It seems that many celiacs also have other food issues. Not surprising, considering the damage to our internals, but a drag. I'd suggest keeping a food diary, or at least pay careful attention to what you're eating and when you feel best/worst. I'm about 80% certain I'm having issues with corn, so I'm starting a corn free diet for a few weeks, then I'll reintroduce.

My food journal was so helpful. You don't always remember what you ate the day before, and if you have a somewhat delayed reaction, it can get really frustrating. I highly recommend you keep a food & mood journal. It'll help a lot.

Take care

Cuervo Rookie

Thank you GeoffCJ.

My only other food issue is that I have Type 1 diabetes. So I have even less choices of food. I know I should stop eating the sauces, I just have to learn how to season stuff with basic herbs and stuff. It will take me a little while cause I hate cooking. :P I'm trying to learn how to love it.

Cuervo Rookie
My food journal was so helpful. You don't always remember what you ate the day before, and if you have a somewhat delayed reaction, it can get really frustrating. I highly recommend you keep a food & mood journal. It'll help a lot.

I started a food journal last week and it is helping.

What is Tamari and where do I get it?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I lost alot of weight before starting the diet and once I went off gluten I ended up losing alot of water weight too....I ended up really skinny for awhile. I didnt need to lose any weight before all that happened. :(

UR Groovy Explorer

From what I've seen on the board, San-J is gluten-free, and you can get it possibly at Whole foods. Other than that, like I said, I haven't tried it yet, and I haven't been to Whole foods since I found out about it. Maybe you can do a search of the site (at the top of the page, there's a search option) and find out a little more info.

Wish I could tell you more, but I'm just not knowledgeable on the subject. There's tons of info here though.

Good Luck, Cuervo !

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Thank you GeoffCJ.

My only other food issue is that I have Type 1 diabetes. So I have even less choices of food. I know I should stop eating the sauces, I just have to learn how to season stuff with basic herbs and stuff. It will take me a little while cause I hate cooking. :P I'm trying to learn how to love it.

I guess I meant in my post there may be other foods you're not aware of reacting too, but are.

The diabetes is tough. My dad and aunt and grandpa have Type 1, so it's always been something I've watched out for, but I seem to have dodged that genetic bullet. On the "silver lining" side, you're probably already better than many of us at paying attention to your food.

As for cooking, I've always enjoyed it, so it's not been too hard for me. There are some great recipes online if you search for gluten free recipes. In addition, some of it just easy. I made fajita's a couple nights ago. I bought everything at a normal grocery store, with no special gluten free ingredients. I used normal corn tortillas for my wife, and I ate rice tortillas, since I suspect I'm having issues with corn. It took me less than 25 minutes, and a lot of that was just chopping. A lot of asian food is good if you avoid soy sauce, as they don't use as much wheat. Especially Vietnamese food, which I'm now a HUGE HUGE fan of.

Anyway, don't get discouraged! There is a steep learning curve and your body is going through a lot of changes, so it can be a bumpy road at first. But it gets easier fast.

Tamari is an asian sauce, very similar to soy sauce and can substitute in most recipes. My grandma in law would notice, but most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Geoff

CMCM Rising Star

Tamari looks, smells and tastes like soy sauce. I usually find it in health food type stores.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Cuervo,

Tamari can be found at healthfood stores. It is very good. It is more fermented and made a little differently than regular soy sauce. There are two soy sauces readily available you can get just about anywhere. LaChoy is found all over the place, and Wal-Mart has one that is safe for us in the Great Value Brand. Many people have said they prefer Great Value, as they thought it tasted better.

As far as the weight issue goes, I recall you mentioned you are a Type I Diabetic. If you take insulin, it can make you hold on to fat. Watching your glycemic index is the smartest way to help this. It is not uncommon that hypoglycemics end up diabetic later, because they eat things to keep their blood sugar up. I have been reading about this in The Zone diet books. What happens is, as your insulin levels increase so that the glucose can be tolerated by the pancreas, your body converts the carbs to fat. The Zone allows you to eat carbohydrates without deprivation. It seems to be what I am looking for. It is nice and balanced, and the science behind it is absolutely fascinating. A biochemist discovered this. Jennifer Aniston follows the Zone. She looks great!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

mn farm gal Apprentice

So what are some of the guidelines for the zone diet. I have seen that mentioned in a couple of different post. I would appreciate a little more info if you are willing to share. Thanks

Archived