This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Possible?

FeedIndy

UR Groovy Explorer
So what are some of the guidelines for the zone diet. I have seen that mentioned in a couple of different post. I would appreciate a little more info if you are willing to share. Thanks

The Zone is pretty practical - you can mix it up. Kind of tough, but pretty do-able.

Dr. Barry Sears - here's the website. Check out the "Enter The Zone" Tab.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jacqui Apprentice
I started the gluten free diet on Monday at the recommendation of my doctor-even with negative test results. I have been slightly overweight since my 1st pregnancy. I haven't done anything extra to lose weight other than cutting out the gluten (which wasn't much since I already cooked evening meals gluten free for my girls). I lost 4 pounds in 4 days-is that even possible or safe?

I've been gluten-free since 4-06 and I think it is starting to catch up! Before I tried the low carb diet b/c my sister lost weight really quick. I did not lose an ounce! That was 2005. Pre-diagnosis I went up to 153 (i'm only 5' 1/2") joined weight watchers and lost weight quickly b/c I was not eating much gluten is what I believeI. I also think this is why my labs were not as bad as my daughters or sisters. I just lost about 10lbs. in ~2 weeks! I'm happy but everyone thinks the worst. I hardly ate bread type stuff or pasta to begin with so we just rarely eat it now. I supplement with Tostito chips!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry yet, but of course if it becomes drastic I would definately see a doctor.

Take care,

Jacqui ;)

Kaycee Collaborator

I feel a little bit envious of those who were overweight and have lost weight without trying, since going gluten free.

I wish I could say the same, but it looks like, I have missed the boat, as I am now over a year down the gluten free trail, and there has been no weight loss. But I do put it on when I get glutened, which seems to be pretty much everybody elses problem too.

So I am just going to have to be happy with how I am, or work on it. That sounds so hard.

Cathy

NoGluGirl Contributor
So what are some of the guidelines for the zone diet. I have seen that mentioned in a couple of different post. I would appreciate a little more info if you are willing to share. Thanks

Dear mn farm gal,

The Zone sounds complicated at first, but it actually is quite easy. I own many of the books. Since Dr. Sears is a biochemist, he knows how the body works. It helps your mental and physical conditions. What is great is, this can help depression, low blood sugar, diabetes, ADD, and all kinds of other conditions, because it helps balance your brain chemistry. Each meal and snack in the Zone is 30 percent fat, 30 percent protein, and 40 percent carbs. The food servings are divided into blocks. Each block consists of either 1.5 g. fat, 7 g. protein, or 9 g. carbs. An example for one day (women normally eat 11 blocks on average, men at least 12) would be:

Breakfast: 3 blocks

4 egg whites

1 oz. low-fat shredded cheese

1 small potato, chopped (one cup)

dash cayenne pepper

6 whole almonds

1 teaspoon refined olive oil

*note in this meal, when there is a fat-free source of protein, we add an extra fat blocks to compensate. That is why there are more here.

Snack: 1 block

1 ounce part-skim mozarella string cheese

3/4 cup V-8 vegetable juice

3 black olives

Lunch: 3 blocks

3 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast

2 Tablespoons Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue

1 Cup green beans

6 macadamia nuts

Dinner: 3 blocks

4.5 oz. catfish

2 squares cornbread

2 teaspoons Smart Balance

1/3 teaspoon refined olive oil

1/3 cup peas

Snack: 1 block

1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese

1/2 cup pineapple tidbits in light syrup

2 macadamia nuts, crushed

This is to give you a basic idea. The best part is, you can access a lot of this online. Plus, even if you are bad at math, you could do this. As long as you have a measuring cup and spoons, you will do fine!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

ana-myceliacbaby Newbie

[even a little gluten can harm u and there are gluten free stirfry saucesout there. you might want to look online for some of them.. good luck

• 1 month later...
DestinyLeah Apprentice

Louisiana has a brand made locally called Crystal, and it is gluten free. I called the company, and they said yes, so I still get soy sauce. Kari-out is also gluten free, so when I go out to eat and need soy sauce, I just ask for the little packets, for some reason Kari-out is the only take-out brand I've ever seen anywhere for asian sauces. Hmm.

I was put on a gluten free diet a month ago and have lost 30 lbs so far, still losing. My issue was water weight at first, then I stared losing actual fat. The main issue now is that since I went gluten free, I'm just not hungry. It is a miracle on a day when I can eat a full two meals in a whole day. If I piled all the food I eat up, it would fit on 1 plate every day, never fail. If I try to force more down, I get sick. Not to mention I work 7-8 hours a day in a bakery now, and while working that much has increased my appetite some, I'm burning off 3,500 calories a day just working. I'm only consuming around 1,000. All my doc could say was to pack as much punch in what I am eating as possible, but there is another issue. Heavy, fatty foods are making me ill. I got crampy and constipated last time I ate a fatty meal. The closest I can get right now is a rare steak, with no sauce whatsoever.

It doesn't help that all I can eat comfortably right no are raw fruits and veggies. Celery and honeydew just don't pack caloric punch. They make me feel better, though, and they are easy to access at work and on the go.

The closest I can get to "calorie- laden" and "full of carbs" is rice sticks or cellophane noodles in coconut milk. Thai food is my saving grace, because it is also easy on my tummy.

Dunno why I am finding it so hard to eat fatty foods, but if someone else does, please chime in. I'm thisclose to having to buy yet another pair of pants because I lost more weight.Grrr.

mftnchn Explorer
Cuervo,

My 2 cents:

Watch those sauces - especially stir fry stuff. Anything with soy sauce will most likely be a problem. Those salad dressings and sauces will really fool you. Read the labels VERY carefully. MSG could also be a problem (not a gluten problem, but an intolerance issue). It is for me. It goes by many names. You may want to watch for this.

Take care

Just a note from someone who lives in China and has been in Asia a long time: most of the sauces have wheat in them. MSG is wheat based here, and I have seen that mentioned in some of the literature as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

little d Enthusiast

Hi

Before I had my daughter 7 yrs ago I was alwas fluctuating my wt between 120 - 125lbs I am only 4'11" After I had my daughter I lost all baby wt in 2 wks I only gained 12lbs It was hard for me to eat because she took alot of room after I was done nursing her I gained 25lbs in 6 months I then progressivly gained over the years I now wt 160. A year ago I started gluten-free and lost 14lbs that was without cheating, felt great. Then started eating reg food after testing was all Negative, and I gained 20lbs back at least. I have started gluten-free again to feel better but I have not seen any results because I have cheated and have not been able to get on a scale to see what I wt. Thats my story. Donna

• 3 weeks later...
Serena53 Newbie
I wish I lost weight. I think I lost 2 pounds and put it right back on. It's been harder to lose weight for me since I went gluten free. I need to lose 25 pounds. I think people who keep losing had an allergy to wheat also besides the intolerance. I wasn't allergic to wheat, just gluten intolerant. Just my two cents.

Hello Mayflowers,

I can sympathise with your desire to loose weight, as I have been struggling with mine since I gained 40 lbs in three months three years ago - when I had an abrupt hormone change which put me into menopause immediately. I realized then that I had gastrointestinal issues, but it has been very difficult to pin it down, especially as the medical establishment seems loath to help me pin down any or all of my issues. I had the biopsy for celiac, but since it came out negative, no more help was offered me, other than the diagnosis of "IBS and likely gluten intolerance'. Since then (and since posting here for the first time yesterday, I have read more posts and info which seem to indicate I may have "starch intolerance" either instead of, or in addition to gluten intolerance. Still, the weight would not come off (it seemed) no matter what I did. In the intervening time, (since diagnosis three years ago) I even found information about the "Alkaline approach to diet, which cured my acid reflux problems immediately, and also offered super quick weight loss. The problme is, as I became aware, that I now seem to have an increased appetite which I can not control. I have lost 10 lbs (relatively quickly) with the alkaline diet, but put it back on due to this increased appetite I now have. The alkaline diet is difficult to implement, but (I have been trying unsuccessfully for a year now) I intend to implement it and go starch free and gluten free as well, to gain health back. Wish me luck with the cravings.

Serena53 Newbie
Hi

Before I had my daughter 7 yrs ago I was alwas fluctuating my wt between 120 - 125lbs I am only 4'11" After I had my daughter I lost all baby wt in 2 wks I only gained 12lbs It was hard for me to eat because she took alot of room after I was done nursing her I gained 25lbs in 6 months I then progressivly gained over the years I now wt 160. A year ago I started gluten-free and lost 14lbs that was without cheating, felt great. Then started eating reg food after testing was all Negative, and I gained 20lbs back at least. I have started gluten-free again to feel better but I have not seen any results because I have cheated and have not been able to get on a scale to see what I wt. Thats my story. Donna

Hello Donna,

Check my response to 'Mayflowers'. I too am quite short (4'9") and presently weigh 168 lbs. Your tale of weight gain and difficulty with losing echoes my experience perfectly! I have cravings for grain and starches and sugars, which keep me constipated and lethargic, but using the alkaline approach/hypotheses, helps keep my bowel moving in some sort of way. My gastroenterologist tells me that my smoothe muscle nervous system is quite damaged, and that is why I experience a host of other symptoms, including acid reflux, sinus migraine issues, advanced osteoarthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, incontinence, and general bowel malfunction. Yes, dealing with starch cravings and 'cheating' because of it, makes life quite difficult. I "know" what I must do, but keeping to it is soooooo very hard. As well as trying to go alkaline, I am now a "sprouter" as well, and I find that quite satisfying. Still, it all makes life quite difficult. None-the-less, I focus on joy every day - it is how I cope.

Best Wishes, Serena

• 2 weeks later...
laurie1067 Contributor

I am so relieved after reading this thread. I lost 6 lbs my first 7 days of being gluten free. I was starting to get really worried, but this thread has reassured me that there's nothing sinister going on in my body. Pre diagnosis I had been losing 1-2 lbs per week (sometimes less). I lost 31 lbs in 5 months before being diagnosed, but I was in a near panic yesterday realizing that I was now losing almost a pound a day. I needed to lose the weight to get back to a healthy BMI (I'm there now), and I hope the weight stays off.

little d Enthusiast

I would always and still only eat 2 times a day and put on the weight especially after my daughter was born 7 years ago. when I first went on the diet I lost 14pounds in 3months that is the most I ever did since my early 20s, but then I started eating regular food again to try to get a postive result on the last test Pillcam which turned out negative, well I put on 20 pounds in less the time that it took me to loose the weight. Putting on weight for someone my size 4foot 11inchs 160lbs is really not good for one my bones, I am on the small bone side not thick boned, so I really have to watch what I do. I could eat only breakfast and skip lunch and eat a small meal and I gained all that weight to begin with. Little did I know that it was the Gluten that I was filling my body, I usually ate alot of Wheat bread sandwiches and Pasta love the pasta.But I am learning to deal with it.

donna

Serena53 Newbie
I would always and still only eat 2 times a day and put on the weight especially after my daughter was born 7 years ago. when I first went on the diet I lost 14pounds in 3months that is the most I ever did since my early 20s, but then I started eating regular food again to try to get a postive result on the last test Pillcam which turned out negative, well I put on 20 pounds in less the time that it took me to loose the weight. Putting on weight for someone my size 4foot 11inchs 160lbs is really not good for one my bones, I am on the small bone side not thick boned, so I really have to watch what I do. I could eat only breakfast and skip lunch and eat a small meal and I gained all that weight to begin with. Little did I know that it was the Gluten that I was filling my body, I usually ate alot of Wheat bread sandwiches and Pasta love the pasta.But I am learning to deal with it.

donna

Hi Donna,

I am implementing the new approach today - that is, no starch, no sugar, no gluten, and phase one of the alkaline approach (greenfoods blenderized). I hope to go starch/sugar/gluten free for about three weeks, to see what the difference might be. I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens. I also intend to look further into the "low glycemic" style diet, to understand it better. It seems to me that every diet approach offers seemingly sensible and realistic theory, but in practice they sometimes oppose one another, and then too, each has it's own pitfalls, meaning that in the end they did not work due to cravings which began some time after being on them. Perhaps it will be different now. We'll see.

Serena

Serena53 Newbie
Just a note from someone who lives in China and has been in Asia a long time: most of the sauces have wheat in them. MSG is wheat based here, and I have seen that mentioned in some of the literature as well.

Hello. Did you know that MSG has been used for years in lab rats to quickly fatten them up for certain purposes? Did you know that MSG is used commercially in hundreds of foods to improve their flavor, and hence their marketability. They even put it in coffee (Tim Horton's). I used to love MSG, and used it in my stir-frys, soups, etc. all the time. Now it is no longer in my kitchen and I avoid commercial foods with MSG in their contents, which means - many potatoe chips brands, sauces, fast foods and other prepared foods.

Does anyone (with chemistry background) know if glutamate is a derivative of gluten? I know that mono means one, and sodium is simply one sodium atom in the MSG molecule, ie,

"one-sodium-glutamate".

Serena

bluejeangirl Contributor
Hello Donna,

Check my response to 'Mayflowers'. I too am quite short (4'9") and presently weigh 168 lbs. Your tale of weight gain and difficulty with losing echoes my experience perfectly! I have cravings for grain and starches and sugars, which keep me constipated and lethargic, but using the alkaline approach/hypotheses, helps keep my bowel moving in some sort of way. My gastroenterologist tells me that my smoothe muscle nervous system is quite damaged, and that is why I experience a host of other symptoms, including acid reflux, sinus migraine issues, advanced osteoarthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, incontinence, and general bowel malfunction. Yes, dealing with starch cravings and 'cheating' because of it, makes life quite difficult. I "know" what I must do, but keeping to it is soooooo very hard. As well as trying to go alkaline, I am now a "sprouter" as well, and I find that quite satisfying. Still, it all makes life quite difficult. None-the-less, I focus on joy every day - it is how I cope.

Best Wishes, Serena

Hi Serena,

Thats alot of symptoms to deal with! I have a few of them myself. The ones that bother me the most are the acid reflux and what seems like a long time to digest my food, which causes some of the bloating and burping. I was wondering what an alkaline diet looks like. What do you eat in a day. Does it matter if its cooked or raw? Thanks

Gail

• 3 weeks later...
marlene57 Newbie

Cathy,

I'm in the same boat as you. Just can't lose weight. At this point, I'd just be happy to feel more energetic.

Marlene57

I feel a little bit envious of those who were overweight and have lost weight without trying, since going gluten free.

I wish I could say the same, but it looks like, I have missed the boat, as I am now over a year down the gluten free trail, and there has been no weight loss. But I do put it on when I get glutened, which seems to be pretty much everybody elses problem too.

So I am just going to have to be happy with how I am, or work on it. That sounds so hard.

Cathy

Archived