This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenease

Corsicana Grandma

Corsicana Grandma Rookie

I just registered and this is my first post. I'm not sure I'm in the right category. I have come across this product. It is called GlutenEase by Enzymedica. It is a combination of enzymes plus a new one called DDP-IV. Here is a quote from their web site. "GlutenEase offers those suffeirng with such intolerances (GFCG) assistance in digestion and assimilation of the offending proteins. DPP-IV, is able to break down an exorphin peptide (a protein) believed to be a contributing factor in gluten and casesin intolerance." Supposedly you can take this and eat without fear of cross contamination and maybe a little gluten or dairy.

Has anyone tried this? I haven't ordered it yet but I probably will unless someone tells me it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help

corsicana grandma

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Here is a link that explains how it works. In the link it says products like Glutenease are not suitable for celiacs. They say it works for people who have a leaky gut and have problems with gluten and caseine from that. Open Original Shared Link

People with celiac disease need to follow a strict gluten-free diet. There are scattered reports where someone with celiac was able to resume eating gluten by using amylase or papain (or perhaps both of these enzymes). However, at this time there are no known enzyme products that will consistently and reliably allow a person with celiac to resume eating gluten, although there continues to be research and development in this area.

Some people with celiac can tolerate oats, while others cannot. Recently oats have been declared 'okay' for the celiac gluten-free diet, if you can tolerate them and want to consume them. Oats do not have the same type of gluten as other small grains.

see Celiac and Enzymes

Much information on celiac:

www.celiac.com

Celiac is an autoimmune condition where an element in gluten causes damage to the intestines. The absorptive tissue called villi are damaged, flatten, and nor longer function. This results in malabsorption and can lead to leaky gut. Once a gluten-free diet is started, the villi can heal and function properly again. The gut can heal. If the celiac person resumes eating gluten, the process repeats and the leaky gut returns.

This is different than what can happen with food intolerances (including such as in autism or related problems). In this case, the gut can become injured from a variety of reasons. Whenever the gut becomes damaged, and leaky gut develops, digestion can be impaired. This means that no matter what you eat, any food can be insufficiently digested, cross into the bloodstream when it should be kept out, and cause some unwanted reaction. If you remove gluten from the diet, the gut is still leaky (because gluten was not the cause itself), and whatever food you are eating now can still be poorly digested and cause an unwanted reaction.

Archived