- - - - -

Modified Maize Starch

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Greggy_*

Guest_Greggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:30 AM

Do most people avoid m-m-starch even if the label says gluten free??

Thanks

Greg

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:55 AM

Maize is derived from corn and not a gluten concern.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Serenity1366

Serenity1366

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Help it's back <_<

My stomach has been good for about 2 weeks.  Tonight I had a chicken and veg stir fry with Sweet Chilli & Garlic Stir Fry Sauce, this is the only processed food/sauce I have had in 2 weeks.  Within an hour and half after eating, my stomach became uncomfortable and I felt sick, then low and behold my tummy blew up, back pain and yawning my head off. 

Seriously, what is going on I have looked up Maize Starch; but that is meant to be ok, right?  Please :(  tell me what I have missed?

My doctor 2 weeks ago told me to keep off Gluten, Wheat, Milk, white rice and pototoes.  I have not been tested for Coeliac as yet, as I took myself of wheat a month ago.  Next week I am planning to reintroduce gluten etc, as directed by my doctor so I can be tested in 5 weeks.

Sweet Chilli & Garlic Stir Fry Sauce

Ingredients:
Water, Sugar, Minced Chilli Paste (5%)(Chilli Peppers, Water, Salt, Acetic Acid), Chinese Rice Vinegar (3%), Maize Starch, Spirit Vinegar, Garlic (2%), Sake, Salt, Chilli Powder, Colour:Paprika Extract.

Serenity1366

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

This topic is more than six years old.

"Maize" is the scientific name for corn, and is used in many European countries as the name instead of "corn." Corn is gluten-free.

During the healing process, you may have reactions to foods, even though they are gluten-free. Perhaps the chilli?

If you are in Canada or the USA, modified starch is not a worry unless the word "wheat" appears on the label. MFS is almost never wheat, but if it is the law requires that wheat be disclosed on the label.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Serenity1366

Serenity1366

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

This topic is more than six years old.

"Maize" is the scientific name for corn, and is used in many European countries as the name instead of "corn." Corn is gluten-free.

During the healing process, you may have reactions to foods, even though they are gluten-free. Perhaps the chilli?

If you are in Canada or the USA, modified starch is not a worry unless the word "wheat" appears on the label. MFS is almost never wheat, but if it is the law requires that wheat be disclosed on the label.

Thank you for your reply. oops I am still blindly stumblying around the site. :unsure:
 I checked their website and it had wheat gluten in it.  The allergy warning on the package didn't say wheat, but on the website it stated Allergy Warning - Wheat Gluten. And here's the thing...on another page it says it is suitable by showing the cross grain.  Confused? :blink:  I am

Serenity1366

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: