8 replies to this topic

#1 BeckyW

BeckyW

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

Does anyone know if the Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix is alright? I don't see any wheat listed in the ingredients which are: yellow corn flour, salt, maltodextrin, paprika, spices, modified corn starch, sugar, garlic powder, citric acid, autolyzed yeast extract, natural flavor and carmel color. It does not have a statement saying it contains any of the top 8 common allergens. We had this last night for dinner and my daughter and I are both feeling nausous today.

There is no phone number to contact the company (which I think is just ridiculous) but there is an email address so I did email them.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.
Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:15 AM

The ingredients look fine to me, but there are a lot of them and it might have MSG or something else that's bothering you.

I usually just use cumin, garlic, onion, and pepper (either chipolte or cayenne) to season my taco meat and avoid the packets.

Hope you feel better soon!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 BeckyW

BeckyW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Carla. I'll let you know if I hear from the company. I thought the ingredients look fine but wasn't sure about the carmel.

Can you give me the exact measurements for the taco seasoning you make? It sounds great!

Becky

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

Can you give me the exact measurements for the taco seasoning you make? It sounds great!

I'm one of those cooks that never measures! LOL

Just brown the ground beef with onions and garlic if you're using fresh, then I sprinkle the other spices (and garlic powder if you didn't use fresh), to taste. I'm VERY generous when I use spices. The chili peppers come in a spice bottle at the grocery.

Sorry I can't be more exact ... I cook everything by taste and what I feel like that day!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

McCormick's taco seasonings are gluten free, and they state that they will clearly list any and all gluten ingredients, so you can feel comfortable interpreting their labels.

Laura

#6 LisaJ

LisaJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:49 PM

I found this on their website:

Q. Do you have a gluten free list for Ortega products?

A. Ortega has been following a strict labeling policy with regard to any allergens in our foods and incoming ingredients.

We have insisted that our suppliers notify us if gluten is used in any of their ingredients and yet is not declared on their labeling. Thus, we believe we have uncovered any potential use of gluten containing ingredients.

Therefore, any Ortega product is fully labeled for any presence of gluten or gluten containing ingredients. We find that this statement is much easier than our trying to maintain a gluten free product list.
Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

#7 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

I use Oretga all the time with no issue. Could you be reacting to something else? Hope you feel better soon.

Hez

#8 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Does anyone know if the Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix is alright? I don't see any wheat listed in the ingredients which are: yellow corn flour, salt, maltodextrin, paprika, spices, modified corn starch, sugar, garlic powder, citric acid, autolyzed yeast extract, natural flavor and carmel color. It does not have a statement saying it contains any of the top 8 common allergens. We had this last night for dinner and my daughter and I are both feeling nausous today.

There is no phone number to contact the company (which I think is just ridiculous) but there is an email address so I did email them.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.
Becky

Was your beef freshly ground at the butchers? If it was, there's a chance for CC there. Many butchers have bread crumbs that they use to season roasts and stuff.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#9 PeggyV

PeggyV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

Sorry I don’t know, but this is the recipe I use and it is great! I triple the recipe and put it in a container for next time.

1 tablespoon potato starch
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon minced onion
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
"The only thing constant in life is change"
Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change