This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

General Mills , Trix , Mickey Mouse Club House Crunch

zachsmom

zachsmom Enthusiast

Hey I have noticed that all of a sudden that a LARGE NUMBER of GENERAL MILLS cereals are now wheat free.

Dora explorer , no wheat . no malt.

Mickey mouse club house. same ...

Baby einstein stars.. no wheat no malt .

Trix.... no wheat....

has any one else noticed this.... Ps sorry If I am repaeating my self.. But I cant find the post i was involved with talking about the baby einstein stars... any way ... thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Thanks for posting. I have never been a cereal eater......but I know that a lot of folks here sure miss it.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Thanks for posting. I have never been a cereal eater......but I know that a lot of folks here sure miss it.

I love cereal. For years I had Granola, Raisin Bran, or some type of flakes-fruit-nuts type cereal fro breakfast, beleiving it was healthy! Ironic huh? Now, it seems all the cereals I can find are either boring (Rice puffs) or sugary sweet kids cereals. I was pretty excited to have an excuse to eat Fruity Pebbles, but the novelty wore off quickly.

Any other suggestions? I wish there was a granola or Honey Bunches of Oats style cereal that was gluten free. Any suggestions?

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

We tried the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Crunch - and it was absolutely disgusting. To me, it tasted like straight malt, like rancid beer. I don't know if I got a bad box or what.... but, none of my three kids would eat it. My baby gagged on it and spit it out. LOL!!!

Now, the Little Einsteins Stars are really quite tasty!! To me, they are a nice sweet treat when I want something crunchy. Both my younger two really like them. =)

zachsmom Enthusiast

Okay the dora cereal taste remeind me of king vitamin. ( which I did like as a kid) , The stars the baby hates. and it makes me sad. But he loves to smash them , and pile them up on the tray only to swish them off, on to the floor. The mickey mouse ones ... they are okay . but they are sooooooo small like the fruity pebbles.

NOW trix seems like the ingredients have changed....

You know I think that the wheat intolerance thing is affecting more and more people ... and I think like global warming... ( stay with me here .... that we need to find out what exactly is causing this disease to happen more and more. .. is this our faults for not knowing over the years? ( food companies putting chemicals and additives that we as a public are not aware of untill its too late. and are these things hurting us? Because I have noticed that wheat is being taken out of a lot of stuff latley. But do the cereal companies go in waves and to stay on the top of the smarket re formulate there products to see if there is a better taste? Or are they generally trying to make a product that is healthier .. less sugar and corn instead of wheat. ??????

just a thought ....

confused Community Regular
Okay the dora cereal taste remeind me of king vitamin. ( which I did like as a kid) , The stars the baby hates. and it makes me sad. But he loves to smash them , and pile them up on the tray only to swish them off, on to the floor. The mickey mouse ones ... they are okay . but they are sooooooo small like the fruity pebbles.

You know I think that the wheat intolerance thing is affecting more and more people ... and I think like global warming... ( stay with me here .... that we need to find out what exactly is causing this disease to happen more and more. .. is this our faults for not knowing over the years? ( food companies putting chemicals and additives that we as a public are not aware of untill its too late. and are these things hurting us? Because I have noticed that wheat is being taken out of a lot of stuff latley. But do the cereal companies go in waves and to stay on the top of the smarket re formulate there products to see if there is a better taste? Or are they generally trying to make a product that is healthier .. less sugar and corn instead of wheat. ??????

just a thought ....

I have been thinking about all this also this past week. The more i read that gluten and wheat hurts so many people and are linked to so many diseases, it makes me wonder who it at fault, us or the companies. Of course comapnies what to add stuff to make their product taste the best, to make us keep buying it over and over. But are we at fault to keep buying it, even tho we know some of the ingredients will hurt us.

And i wonder how long are they going to keep selling stuff wheat or gluten free. Are they just doing it to make us and the fda happy.

Now u really have me thinking and its too ealry to be thinking lol

paula

johnsoniu Apprentice
I love cereal. For years I had Granola, Raisin Bran, or some type of flakes-fruit-nuts type cereal fro breakfast, beleiving it was healthy! Ironic huh? Now, it seems all the cereals I can find are either boring (Rice puffs) or sugary sweet kids cereals. I was pretty excited to have an excuse to eat Fruity Pebbles, but the novelty wore off quickly.

Any other suggestions? I wish there was a granola or Honey Bunches of Oats style cereal that was gluten free. Any suggestions?

Bakery On Main and Enjoy Life both make decent granola cruch cereals in different varieties. I know some people can't stand them, but as a cereal afficiando, I think both are pretty decent.Fruity Pebbles just added a new berry flavored brand, yeah it's another sugary kids cereal(not that there's anything wrong with that B) ), but it's another flavor option.

Every flake type gluten-free cereal I've tried tasted like cardboard though, so still waiting and watching for something to replace my Frosted Flakes. Checking into this Trix thing, that would be great if Trix weren't just for kids anymore, they were for Celiacs too!

Ironically, the original Kellogg's Corn Flakes were gluten free, maybe old man Kellogg knew even more than people think

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

We use Nature's Path Honey'd Corn Flakes. They are the second best gluten-free cereal around. The best was discontinued 2 months after my son's diagnosis <_<. I guess I should say they are MY favourite gluten-free cereal. Ty likes Kinnikrisp "rice krispies". To me they have an odd after taste and a peculiar texture while eating them. On the odd occasion when my husband travels to the U.S. for work he'll bring back some Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles. Puffed rice is good for making puffed wheat squares w/o the wheat.

zachsmom Enthusiast

just a thought ....

the einstein stars make a mess if they , ah get wet... meaing if they dont make it into the babys mouth.... they are really messy.

mumseyh Rookie

Cocoa Pebbles are my favorite! There are several different companies who make brown rice krispies. The one I have now is Erewhon. So far all of the ones I have tried have been acceptable. The Enjoy Life granola was unedible, in my opinion. I am still looking for a good granola. Health Valley makes a cereal that look like rice chex. It is very good. I have wanted to try the Perky Os that look like Cheerios, but I haven't yet. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried them, and if they are good.

Thanks for the info on some of the others. I would rather spend $3 a box than $5 in the health food store. Also, I always loved cream of wheat, but the old standby cream of rice is pretty close. After you add some brown sugar, it is hard to tell the difference.

Nancy

wowzer Community Regular

We can hope since General Mills is making more gluten free cereals that maybe it will rub off on the other ones. Probably wishful thinking. I'm not one for sweet cereals. I did buy some Ewehorn rice krispie like cereal with dried blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. It is a tiny bit sweet , but the closest I've come to my favorite Kashi Strawberry Fields. My little sister whom is a celiac grew up eating rice krispies and corn pops. It seems like I read on the Kellogg's site that they had no added gluten, but could be CC. I'm still on the hunt for a decent gluten free granola bar. I've found some that are ok, but not as good as the old oat ones I used to eat.

pugluver31902 Explorer

I have fallen in love with Enviro Kids (A brand of nature's path) Peanut butter panda puffs cereal. I could eat a box a day!

Laurad- Apprentice

I was so excited a few months back when I discovered that Cocoa Pebbles were gluten-free, but after eating them on several different occasions, I've realized that they make my neurological symptoms flair up. Has anyone else noticed that? For that reason I'm a little wary of trying other mainstream celreals like Trix. Do you guys know if General Mills uses the same equipment for all their cereals?

• 3 weeks later...
mac3 Apprentice

My daughter's favorites are Koala Crisp and Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes. I'm afraid to eat too much of her stuff because of the cost and difficulty in getting most of it, but he maple buckwheat flakes that I tasted, were actually quite good!

BFreeman Explorer

This is one of my pet peeves. There is no mainstream, grocery store cereal that is gluten free that isn't also garishly colored, puffed-up, sugared crisp air (my apologies to anyone who actually likes that stuff :rolleyes: ). If anyone ever finds any, please post it. I've read labels until my eyes crossed and it all has either malt flavoring (why?) or was produced in shared facilities (I won't do that, at least not yet).

BF

CarlaB Enthusiast
I was so excited a few months back when I discovered that Cocoa Pebbles were gluten-free, but after eating them on several different occasions, I've realized that they make my neurological symptoms flair up. Has anyone else noticed that? For that reason I'm a little wary of trying other mainstream celreals like Trix. Do you guys know if General Mills uses the same equipment for all their cereals?

It could just be the long ingredient list that bothers you ... these cereals aren't exactly healthy! If you're eating better than you used to, perhaps eating the junk food is what's bothering you rather than the gluten. It also could be the sugar.

JennyC Enthusiast
Cocoa Pebbles are my favorite! There are several different companies who make brown rice krispies. The one I have now is Erewhon. So far all of the ones I have tried have been acceptable. The Enjoy Life granola was unedible, in my opinion. I am still looking for a good granola. Health Valley makes a cereal that look like rice chex. It is very good. I have wanted to try the Perky Os that look like Cheerios, but I haven't yet. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried them, and if they are good.

Thanks for the info on some of the others. I would rather spend $3 a box than $5 in the health food store. Also, I always loved cream of wheat, but the old standby cream of rice is pretty close. After you add some brown sugar, it is hard to tell the difference.

Nancy

The Perky-Os are ok. I bought them for my 3 yr old son a couple of weeks ago when he was first diagnosed. He loves Cheerios, but wasn't a fan of the Perky-Os. He'd much rather have fruity of Cocoa Pebbles. Big surprise!

pugluver31902 Explorer

I found the Perky'os to be somewhat hard and a little bland, but still not overall bad. I sliced some bananna up and added it and thay really did the trick. Gave it a little more flavor and made it not quite so hard.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I like the EnviroKidz Gorilla Munch and Panda Puffs A LOT. Our Trader Joe's carries them and they are not that much more expensive than regular cereal.

I do miss cereal - i used ot eat Raisin Bran almost every morning. :(

• 2 weeks later...
prinsessa Contributor

I think the Perky Os are ok. The cinnamon apple ones are better than the original. I tried some gluten free "granola", but it was really bad. I don't remember the name, but I won't try another gluten free granola again. I also don't like cereal that is too sugary. I guess I have to stick to the health store for now to buy cereal.

• 3 weeks later...
kdean823 Newbie

What about Rice Krispies....I didn't see anything in the ingredients. What did I miss?? I love the strawberry ones. I am a HUGE cereal eater, and that was going to be one of the hardest things for me to give up. I like the kids cereals, which would make it harder. :) I'm glad to see Trix on the list....I like that one enough. :)

Kym

mac3 Apprentice

My understanding is that Rice Krispies have malt flavoring in them...

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Rice Krispies are a no-go due to the malt flavoring.

I also cannot find any granola which tastes good. I tried the Enjoy Life and I was not impressed. It was a very hard texture and the after taste was not good.

I have been keeping the kids cereals at my place and I use those when I want a snack.

Archived