15 replies to this topic

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:03 AM

What I told is pretty much the full story, albeit bare-bones version.

I was in the hospital for what they were thinking was violent food poisoning (which it probably was, they just didn't yet know it was complicated and made more extreme by celiac), and the nurse on shift was a pretty abrupt, unpleasant person. She'd already yelled at me about several things that she just had no cause to yell about. She had me collecting stool samples and when I gave her one, she asked if there was any chance my rectum had been punctured. In a very accusing kind of tone. And I, so sick I could barely stand and very scared and confused, in the hospital for the first time since birth, stammered out that I didn't think it could have been, and she turned on her heel and walked out without saying anything more. Leaving me there to contemplate how one's rectum might get punctured and what she thought I might have done to get it that way.

This is also the nurse who told me to discourage my parents from coming to see me.

I have to say, nurses have this great reputation for being nicer than doctors and being the ones to really take care of patients and all, but my experience has been that doctors are pretty nice and nurses are often abrupt heading toward mean. And phlebotomists always think they're going to be able to find my vein even though I tell them that other people have had trouble, and then after like five minutes of rooting around with a needle in my arm, when I'm gasping in pain, they tell me that there are no nerve endings there so I'm clearly imagining it if I think I'm in pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: