#1 WayneB

WayneB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:29 PM

Hello,

I am curious if anyone knows with certainty whether or not casein can damage intestine villi in a similar manner as gluten. I have heard that casein structure chemically is similar to gluten. One should not "cheat" with gluten containing foods but can one "cheat" with casein? I have casein sensitivity as well as gluten and casein only causes nasal swelling and upper repiratory issues... nothing serious. So I am curious to know if cheating is allowed with casein.

Regards,

Wayne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:34 PM

Wayne, I don't know the answer to your question, but Dr. Fine of Enterolab might. If you decide to ask him, please let us all know what he says!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 wclemens

wclemens

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:50 PM

Wayne, I have accidentally ingested casein and had horrible reactions, including a severe asthma attack, my breathing passages closing up, etc. Also I have accidentally eaten food with whey in it and had the same reactions. I work diligently now to read each and every label before I try any new food, never wanting to experience those negative side effects again.

By the way, I am gluten sensitive, and allergic to milk, dairy, egg whites and yeast. I hope you can find the strength to stay away from casein if it affects you in an adverse way. Welda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: