7 replies to this topic

#1 hthorvald

hthorvald

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:56 PM

Before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease this past May, I enjoyed the quick take out meals or hot pizza delivered to the house after a long day at work. Unfortunately, Celiac Disease has put a quick stop to that and I now have to prepare fresh meals each day. O.k., I'm sure I can prepare them in advance and freeze them for those nights when I'm too tired to cook, but I still have to prepare them.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cooking school somewhere in the U.S. that teaches gluten free cooking. I am aware of the video tapes and the online schools, but I find that attending class-room instruction has always been more beneficial, especially since there's a teacher and other students in attendance.

At 52 years old, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, as the saying goes.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

H.
Helen Kendrick
Gluten free since 5/03/04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SofiEmiMom

SofiEmiMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:59 AM

Here are some sights that list gluten free cooking classes. Not sure where you are located. Good luck!

Glutenfreeda.com
Therubyrange.com

#3 hthorvald

hthorvald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm in Northern California, but am willing to fly anywhere in the US to learn how to cook. My goal is to have all my meal planning and cooking second nature to me. I'm getting a little tired of being a slave to my binder ;)

Thanks again.
Helen Kendrick

#4 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

Our school district has community education classes (computers, languages, cooking, etc.) and just started offering a gluten-free cooking class. So many people signed up that they had 3 sections of it, and now have added a Gluten Free II class for more ""advanced" cooking. You might call a local university or school district and see if they might be interested.....
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

#5 Ruth

Ruth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:32 PM

Ryebabyo,
Where do they have these classes?
I have emailed Elephant Walk in Boston (they have a gluten-free menu... and offer cooking classes...) but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Any others in the Boston area interested in cooking classes? Where do you go?
Thanks,
Ruth
Ruth
Diagnosed 3/03 (Positive Biopsy/Negative Blood Tests)
Daughter dx 12/03 (Positive biopsy/Positive blood tests);
Two sons (Negative blood tests); One on gluten-free diet (6/04) ... cured his persistent, severe headaches.

#6 dkmb

dkmb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:36 AM

There are about 15 Whole Foods in Northern California and many of them have cooking classes. You can look on their website to see if one is near you. If they don't have a gluten-free class, ask them if they will add one. Someone posted not to long ago that the one in San Mateo has had a couple gluten-free classes.
DK

#7 hthorvald

hthorvald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:03 AM

I live in the South Bay and I did ask the Whole Foods in Campbell if they had a gluten-free cooking class. The person I asked was very knowledgeable about the disease and I thought he'd immediately say, "yes, we have gluten-free cooking classes!" Alas, he just said that they were looking into it.

But, to hear that the San Mateo WF might offer a gluten-free class is good news. I'll check their site out today.

H.
Helen Kendrick

#8 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:37 PM

I live in central PA--I gotta believe Whole Foods will have a class someplace near you. I wish we had them out here, although while we were in Baltimore I heard there was a hotel that actually had a Whole Foods convenience -style store inside!! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Joanna
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: