This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overwhelmed With Exercise!?

LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

I am wanting to start back on some sort of exercise program, had knee surgery in the fall, but I am so stressed out on what I should do. I know for my cardio, I really like my bike but when it comes to strengthening exercises I am not sure what to do? I personally like to workout from home but can't decide if I should do pilates, hand weights, push-ups, sit-ups etc? I know there are so many options but I would like some opinions. I think if I set a routine up, that is not too overwheleming, than I should be fine and be able to stick with it. Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I think the most important thing is to find something you like. I like weights and I go to the gym. I can't do cardio until I get my Lyme Disease under control, but normally I do that at least 3 days a week for 30 minutes. I also do stretching and some pilates moves for core work.

I find that for me, going to the gym makes it so I finish a workout. At home I get too distracted.

There are lots of exercise videos out there that you might like.

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree with Carla--it's so much easier to stick with something you enjoy.

I'm someone who is more comfortable working out at home. I have my treadmill for cardio, and my Pilates machine--which I love. When the weather is nice, I prefer to walk briskly around my neighborhood, so I use the treadmill more in the winter months.

The key is to find what works into your life :)

gfp Enthusiast
I think the most important thing is to find something you like.

Absolutely.....

For strength loose weights are unbeatable... or to put it another way that's what practically every keen or pro sportsman does for strength on top of their sport but if you hate it you will never stick at it...

My 70 something year old father swears by his pilates machine....

I personally would find it hard to work out at home with weights ... or at least keep it up...

Viola 1 Rookie
I think the most important thing is to find something you like. I like weights and I go to the gym. I can't do cardio until I get my Lyme Disease under control, but normally I do that at least 3 days a week for 30 minutes. I also do stretching and some pilates moves for core work.

I find that for me, going to the gym makes it so I finish a workout. At home I get too distracted.

There are lots of exercise videos out there that you might like.

The gym would be great if you had a friend to go with you. However, for me it's too expensive and too far away, so gas would be too expensive too.

We do a lot of walking, I have small weights at home, I train dogs in agility, and we golf in the golf season. I find at my age, that's about all I can handle :rolleyes:

CarlaB Enthusiast
The gym would be great if you had a friend to go with you. However, for me it's too expensive and too far away, so gas would be too expensive too.

We do a lot of walking, I have small weights at home, I train dogs in agility, and we golf in the golf season. I find at my age, that's about all I can handle :rolleyes:

Shirley, we have a community center a half mile from our house, so I'm blessed in that regard ... little gas and cheap membership!

From what I've seen, training dogs is good exercise!

• 3 weeks later...
kbtoyssni Contributor

I really like pilates because you follow along and don't have to think about what you're doing next. There are lots of things you can do at home with basic equipment like a balance ball, therabands, etc and your own body weight. I'd recommend getting a personal trainer for one or two sessions to show you a good strength training program you can do at home. This way you'll be sure you're working both opposing muscles (i.e. bicep and tricep) and using proper form. Another option is to get a weight training book from the library and read up on good weight techniques.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Finding what you like is important! I like having options too. I particularly like activities that are a combination of exercise and social/outdoors activities. Skiing, hiking, rock climbing, swimming, running, yoga, dancing, kayaking, etc. Gaining active pastimes I think are the biggest help in maintaining good physical conditioning (if challenging in winter :) ).

Getting started I think is usually overthought. Just start doing something that sounds fun. You don't have to plan the next six months of exercise and so on. (Heck, I'm not even a huge fan of gyms, and only belong to one because it's harder to get ahold of swimming pools than a place to run.) Just getting out and getting started is important. (Details like sit-ups or push-ups is a hair-splitting, as they're both a variety of weight training, and both should be done - in addition to other weight training exercises - together.)

Archived