This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help--gaining Weight!

Annie/NM

Annie/NM Apprentice

I was dx with Celiac's two month's ago through blood screening and positive biopsy. They also did the Gene test so I can test my 2 children (4 year old already dx). I have the DQ2 gene. I started with my screening in July but have only been gluten-free for two months and good news is my blood is back in the normal range. But at my appointment I weighed 170 pounds versus the 148 in July. I know I"m absorbing my food now so that's good but I don't feel good about my weight gain/body right now. Iknow I should just be glad I'm health but has anyone else experienced this much gain? How do I go about loosing it? I feel already I'm limited in finding food sometimes and then to diet on top of that seems so sad me! I need to exercise but with 3 kids and working part time I have a hard time finding the time~ Thanks for letting me vent~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Annie/NM Apprentice

I started the dx process in July positive bloodwork and biopsy. I have only been gluten-free for 2 months due to waiting to get into a gastro dr. So I have gained 20 pounds since July but my blood is normal now. I know I should be happy about my negative bloodwork but now I'm sad about my weight gain and not feeling good about myself. Has anyone gained this much too? I need to exercise more, that's a give but with 3 kids under 6 I find it hard to do! Any suggestions and/or help? Does your body get more regulated? Thanks!

cajun celiac Rookie

I was diagnosed in Jan and have been gluten-free since. I too am now gaining weight and I am very upset about it. I am anxious to see the responses...

sherylj Rookie
I was dx with Celiac's two month's ago through blood screening and positive biopsy. They also did the Gene test so I can test my 2 children (4 year old already dx). I have the DQ2 gene. I started with my screening in July but have only been gluten-free for two months and good news is my blood is back in the normal range. But at my appointment I weighed 170 pounds versus the 148 in July. I know I"m absorbing my food now so that's good but I don't feel good about my weight gain/body right now. Iknow I should just be glad I'm health but has anyone else experienced this much gain? How do I go about loosing it? I feel already I'm limited in finding food sometimes and then to diet on top of that seems so sad me! I need to exercise but with 3 kids and working part time I have a hard time finding the time~ Thanks for letting me vent~

Annie,,I thought I might lose on the gluten free diet as well and I feel like I need to eat all the time to "make up" for what I can't have. Don't know if this is part of what is going on but there are alot of things out there that are gluten free that are NOT good for us. (like the bag of potato chips I had tonight) Weight watchers worked for me in the past. Don't give up...you know what you need to do,,,just getting motivated is the other half of the formula

sunshinen Apprentice

It's hard to reframe how you think about food. But really that's the only way to make it work. You can't think about it as a diet, but as a better lifestyle that is going to make your life MUCH better. I have hereditary high cholesterol, and after a while of eating healthier food, the bad stuff actually tastes bad to me. You kind of have to go on a cooking adventure. Instead of replacing gluten with all the gluten-free products, find vegetarian dishes and other ways to eat gluten-free, non-processed, healthy food. I was a meat and potatoes kind of girl, but now half my meals are all vegies. I eat healthy, and I feel good about it, not deprived. The mindset makes all the difference in being able to actually do it. You can't call it going on a diet. That just doesn't work for me at least. If I focus on the can't haves, I end up binging on the bad stuff I can have, even if I don't like what I'm eating. It's silly, but I think we're all that way to a degree. But you can get a good grasp on it. Just make small changes little by little, never beat yourself up.

lovegrov Collaborator

I know that at first I was eating enormous amounts of food. But even when that slowed I continued to gain. The only answer for me -- and really the only answer for most people -- is that I had to eat less (I still ate almost anything I wanted, but I ate much less of the empty calorie stuff) and I had to exercise more. There's no magic pill, cream or machine.

richard

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

Annie!

I totally know how you feel. I was diagnosed with celiac in december and have only been gluten free for a couple of months and dairy free about one month. Over the last year, I have put on over 25 pounds. When I was going through all of the testing process, they found out that my liquids were not absorbing like they should. So to say the least, I have a severe malabsorption problem and when you have that it makes it really hard to get your body back in line. I feel like my body is trying to hold onto everything that I give it. I did go and get some gluten free vitamins at the health food store and since then I feel a little bit better. I read that with malabsorption, your body lacks certain vitamins and minerals. Once I started taking these vitamins I started feeling better. I also had to eliminate dairy because my body couldn't absorb that either. However, I still have not lost weight, but I know that will take sometime. So the only advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Once your medical issues are under control your body will start working better. Right now I am just trying to eat more fruits,veggies and lean protein and less gluten free processed foods. I also started riding my bike to get some sort of exercise in. Sorry this is so long but I know how you feel. It will just take time and patience. Just remember that your body is trying to heal in it's own way. Best of luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived