This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weird Symptom, Anyone Else?

bookbabie

bookbabie Apprentice

When I have gluten not only do I have a gut reaction, I get this odd feeling on my forearm, like I have sunburn or I'm about to break out in hives (I don't). It reminds me of how it felt just prior to a shingles outbreak years ago. Does anyone else have weird skin reactions when they get glutened? Is there a consensus on what works best to help relieve the gut symptoms after the fact?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

You know I get that kind of sun burn feeling just below my neck on my chest. I never thought of it as being a gluten symtom. I've only been gluten free since the beginning of the year. I'm trying to be so careful, but I have to be missing something. I seem to be more sensitive to even a small amount.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I get a similar type of skin reaction from ground celery seed, which I've read is often made from a relative of celery instead of the common vegetable. The whole seeds don't seem to bother me.

nama shivaya Explorer

Hmmmm that's interesting. I get a similar feeling on my face (across my left cheek.) sometimes I do feel it in my rt. forearm.

bookbabie Apprentice

I think we do get more sensitive the longer we are gluten-free and we really have to be careful. I've been using designated slots on a shared toaster, but today I'm going out to buy my own toaster oven. I also threw out my wooden spoons yesterday and replaced them with plastic. I figured out I was being glutened when eating out after we had to eat at home for about 3 weeks straight when my husband had the flu this winter. My gut health improved a lot, so I guess we will eat out less and from now on and I'll give the server a gluten intolerance card I printed off the internet. I thought the sunburn feeling must be a gluten reaction because I've never heard of "normal" people having that kind of reaction with indigestion, but since Riceguy gets it from celery seed maybe it

confused Community Regular
When I have gluten not only do I have a gut reaction, I get this odd feeling on my forearm, like I have sunburn or I'm about to break out in hives (I don't). It reminds me of how it felt just prior to a shingles outbreak years ago. Does anyone else have weird skin reactions when they get glutened? Is there a consensus on what works best to help relieve the gut symptoms after the fact?

My mom gets that feeling after she eats seafood, especially shrimp, i think the drs told her it was from iodine, but i could be wrong.

paula

sunshinen Apprentice

Yep, I get that feeling! It sucks. I used to think that maybe the water from my shower or hand washing had been too hot. Mine is often on my arms or hands, and it will move around. One day the side of my palm, the next my forearm, etc. There is never any visible aspect to it; it's just a sensation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

woofie Newbie

me, too. On my thighs. Always in the same place. Might last 3-7 days and only every year or two. One of those things I wouldn't tell anyone...because who could explain a thing like that? Obviously a neurological thing - one of many, I think. :blink:

bookbabie Apprentice

I'm glad other people have noticed this odd symptom, yay, I'm not a total weirdo! Went to PF Changs last night and was up half the night with nausea. They were very busy and even though my waiter was good and aware when he ordered for me, I

TestyTommy Rookie

I get that sunburned feeling all over my body. It was one of the first symptoms I got, many years ago. I'm still waiting for it to go away (I'm gluten-free for a little over a year).

bookbabie Apprentice
I get that sunburned feeling all over my body. It was one of the first symptoms I got, many years ago. I'm still waiting for it to go away (I'm gluten-free for a little over a year).

Are all your bath products gluten-free Tommy? Lotions, soaps, shampoos, dryer sheets?

Archived