This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Driving Hwy. 1 In Ca, Any Suggestions?

bookbabie

bookbabie Apprentice

My husband and I are driving from San Diego to Napa at the end of the month. Does anyone have any gluten-free restaurants recommendations along the route for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Sorry, I wasn't gluten-free when I lived out there, I just wanted to say, enjoy the drive, it's beautiful!! I took the train from San Diego to Orange County. It was one of the prettiest trips I've ever been on!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

ohhhhhhhhhhhh.....lucky you! We have an ancient family cabin near Big Sur, and also I lived in Monterey for seven years, so drove from there to the Sur all the time..........I miss it so much! :(

In the Big Sur/Carmel/Monterey area, you can find many places. Just let me know if you plan to stop there and what you'd like to do. I strongly recommend that you go to Ventana (Big Sur) which is paradise here on this very earth, and sit on the patio on a sunny day. The view is unbelievable. Even if you don't eat, at least stop for a beverage. I think they'd easily be able to accommodate a gluten-free diet, however. Also, a little tiny place called Big Sur Bakery is a fabulous locals' spot - - name's misleading, it's a cozy bistro with a fireplace - wonderful, organic and healthy food - I'm quite sure they could accommodate there as well.

I have tons of suggestions for the area but those are two to get you started. :)

oh, in Half Moon Bay - - stop at the Ritz Carlton - I've never actually been but have friends who have - it's fabulous, I hear.

bookbabie Apprentice

After visiting with my sister in Carlsbad we are staying in Morro Bay one night, Carmel one night, two nights up in Napa and one in SF. I am excited, but of course weary of the gluten-free diet while on the road. I just got glutened at PF Changs this weekend and they have a gluten free menu! Part of me wants to exist on power bars and bottled water all week :unsure: We want to do a little shopping (of course) but we both have 35mm digital cameras and are looking forward to putting them to some good use, so scenic stops are most important to us. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

CurlyGurly Rookie

Hi!

Lucky you :)

I live off highway one in San Luis Obispo, I go to Cal Poly. It is absolutely a gorgeous area, I will be sad when I graduate! I'm studying abroad in London right now and I was only diagnosed in June so I was really only in SLO for a few months with celiac but I still have a few suggestions....

I belong to a group called Central Coast Celiacs here is the website:

Open Original Shared Link It is a new website so it isn't very detailed but it does list a few restaurants.

The best place I can recommend for you to reload on snacks (perfect because its 1/2 way up the coast) is a great healthy/gourmet grocery store called New Frontiers. They have everything you could imagine gluten-free and a gluten-free section! They are located in a shopping center literally on highway one so it is very accessible. I don't believe they have a website but here is their information:

Phone (805) 785-0194

Fax (805) 785-0837 Address 896 E Foothill Blvd # 896c

San Luis Obispo, CA 93405

If you are looking for a casual lunch place in SLO try "The Natural Cafe," it is a cute organic/healthy cafe that has items that are gluten free- just explain to them, they are very sweet. Last time i was there I got vegetable and bean soft tacos with corn tortillas, chips and salsa.

Also I have had an Omelet without getting sick at The Apple Farm restaurant. They are known for their breakfasts (muffins and baked goods) - not that you can eat them but it might be a good way to bribe your husband into taking you :)

Like I said I didn't live in SLO very long with celiac so that

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Below is the link to the restaurant page of the San Diego Celiac Group. It only lists the San Diego addresses. Since many of them are chains you can check the restaruants website for other locations outside San Diego. There is also a link called "On the way to LA".

Open Original Shared Link

Have a nice trip. The views are spectacular from Hwy 1.

bookbabie Apprentice
Hi!

Lucky you :)

I live off highway one in San Luis Obispo, I go to Cal Poly. It is absolutely a gorgeous area, I will be sad when I graduate! I'm studying abroad in London right now and I was only diagnosed in June so I was really only in SLO for a few months with celiac but I still have a few suggestions....

I belong to a group called Central Coast Celiacs here is the website:

Open Original Shared Link It is a new website so it isn't very detailed but it does list a few restaurants...

Wow, thanks for all the great info CurlyBurly! I'll just copy and paste your post and stick it my folder. Everyone keeps saying we should stop in San Luis Obispo. We have so many stops we'd like to make I know we're going to wish we had more time. I have decided not to over pack the snacks and buy some while out there too, so I will defintely stop at New Frontiers. I haven't had pumpkin pie in years :( I keep thinking I'll bake myself onebut I host Thanksgiving and I'm too pooped cooking that I never have the energy to any special gluten-free things for myself. I also miss stuffing! Oh well...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bookbabie Apprentice
Below is the link to the restaurant page of the San Diego Celiac Group. It only lists the San Diego addresses. Since many of them are chains you can check the restaruants website for other locations outside San Diego. There is also a link called "On the way to LA".

Open Original Shared Link

Have a nice trip. The views are spectacular from Hwy 1.

Thanks Phyllis, I just printed the list!

Mango04 Enthusiast
After visiting with my sister in Carlsbad we are staying in Morro Bay one night, Carmel one night, two nights up in Napa and one in SF. I am excited, but of course weary of the gluten-free diet while on the road. I just got glutened at PF Changs this weekend and they have a gluten free menu! Part of me wants to exist on power bars and bottled water all week :unsure: We want to do a little shopping (of course) but we both have 35mm digital cameras and are looking forward to putting them to some good use, so scenic stops are most important to us. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

If you need a good restaurant in Carlsbad, everything at Cilantro Live is gluten-free.

www.cilantrolive.com

Archived