Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Home/self Patch Testing For Food Sensitivities

3 posts in this topic

Just thought I would share a new exciting technique at our house that far surpasses the elimination/diary/ challenge for figuring out food intolerances.

Our new allergist did patch testing on my kids' backs, but it was expensive and required a weeks stay out of town for us, so for myself I just tried the home version.

I made a grid with foods labeled with numbers on paper and got some medical tape. The cloth kind might work better than the plastic kind I had. I used a peice of plastic bag the size of a fingernail - penny and stuck it to the tape and then put the foods in the middle. Everything from salmon to beef to garlic to a paste I made with all of my flours (quinoa came out really highly positive for me!). Then I checked my sides or back for any blemishes and circled them with a permanent marker to ensure that they didnt mess up the results (such as moles, pimples, etc.) and taped the foods up. I found that some foods needed to be cooked (potatoes for me and garbanzos) and they needed to be a bit moist to stick onto the plastic and not fall while taping. Then you leave it on for 2 days without getting wet. Then take it off and note any bumps (more important than redness) that first day. Then check it again for the next two days.

The most positive ones gave me exzema type rash, the least were just a little bumpy. I came up with some intolerances that make total sense now looking back on it , but that I had never suspected so I never paid attention to the pattern and didnt see it (applesauce). I am going to test out new foods this way before any other method.

I hope that this is ok to send out to all of you. I know that the allergist wouldnt approve in the least, but we all have to take charge of our health ourselves, and I am sure that you have spent as much time as I ahve getting prick tests, blood tests, that show nothing when you know that there is something going on nad you feel crazy.

I dont get much computer time, but will try to check back in case anyone wants to try it and I can help with questions, not an expert, but it is working for us!! YIPPEEE!

TAke care, Emily and family with crazy diets

Ads by Google:

Oh my gosh! That is so clever!!

Thanks for sharing this.

Nancy

I wouldn't advise doing this. First it might not be accurate. Second, if there were a life threatening reaction, you'd be too far from medical attention. My daughter and I had the RAST test done. That's a blood test. Doesn't make you sick or itchy if you do happen to be allergic to someone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      "Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me" My sympathies that is just tragic, as this story is.  I hope you are at peace knowing you are aware of your celiac and help so many lost, scared, and confused celiacs here. It can never bring back your brother but I hope it can give soften some of what you feel that was/is beyond your control. His suffering and your loss has made you a better advocate to yourself and in your work helping us. I don't like my body or my  brain on gluten either. I do fear that people overlook the toll inflammation takes on the brain. It likely may explain decades of mental illness that was brain based inflammation unknown until changes in technology advancement catch up. However consuming gluten to study how one enters psychosis may not be the best method. Do no harm.  
    • Gardasil
      I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil
    • Gardasil And Celiac
      I have this same issue! I got gardasil in 2009 and have never been the same since. Celiac disease, thyroid problems. I used to be healthy and active and since I got that shot I have never been the same.
      I saw this the other day too & like Karen, wondered at the last line of the article. The article had me once again thinking about my deceased brother who was dx'd paranoid schizophrenic in his late 20's. He also had alternating constipation/diarrhea  but "they" always blamed it on his meds for the schizophrenia. We, his family, knew he had those issues prior to him being prescribed the meds but there is no telling the medical community something when you're talking about a mental patient.  Okay, I know the guy is selling something but the research noted in the article is valid: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/22/gluten-grains-cause-schizophrenia.aspx We knew about this back in the 50's & going forward. They even coined the term for it "bread madness". Why have we not recognized this in the psychology/mental health/institutions community for all these many years? Why does it seem to have been just shoved under the rug like some dirty little secret?  Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me.
      My first thought was how many people that have been labeled as mentally ill or psychotic actually have Celiac Disease and never get diagnosed?  Their whole lives spent battling these conditions, being flooded with various meds and no one looks at their diet or does other testing!  It really is tragic.  I always wondered whether Patty Duke was an un-diagnosed Celiac.  She was finally diagnosed with bi-polar and ended up dying of a perforated intestine, at the young age of 69.  Ya gotta wonder........
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    vamanos25