Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help- Gluten/dairy Free Intravenous Options?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 neerdowell

neerdowell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

please advise me if you can. my father just last night, after having had a doctor attempt to 'stretch' his esopagus (supposedly due to hiatal hernia) suffered from a gastric perforation/puncture due to the procedure.

they then were forced to perform emergency gastric repair and used part of his stomach to add to his esophagus. anyway, he will have to be fed intravenously now and he and mom are finally willing to consider going gluten and dairy free after this latest episode.

i'm not certain, however, if there is an option and if the doctors can or will honor that request. i am almost certain that his life long worsening symptoms are due to food intolerances. and they are finally willing to follow up. they live in el paso texas and need a gastroenterologist who will get on board with prevention rather than more surgical intervention.

i am new to this forum but have been gluten and dairy free myself for 6 months. if anyone has a better way to list my question so it will get more attention, perhaps from the medical community please advise me or move my subject. i am not terribly computer literate so i haven't figured out how to manipulate this site well yet. thank you in advance soo much.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:16 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. It's pretty quiet here on the weekend, so you might want to post a reply to this thread Monday morning if you don't have an answer by then so that it becomes a "new post" again.

I hope your dad is feeling better soon and I wish you luck finding a doctor, that's a difficult task!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 neerdowell

neerdowell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. It's pretty quiet here on the weekend, so you might want to post a reply to this thread Monday morning if you don't have an answer by then so that it becomes a "new post" again.

I hope your dad is feeling better soon and I wish you luck finding a doctor, that's a difficult task!

thanks much, i appreciate your reply and advice. i'll take your advice and repost during a weekday.

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

No need to repost (duplicates are marked for deletion by moderators).

What is your question exactly? I was a bit confused--- Are you looking for a doctor in your area? Are you looking for advice on how to broach this with him or the doctors? If you need advice on if the IV food is gluten free/casein free, this is something that should be pretty easily identified, for people with food allergies. You would need to express your concerns to the doctors, discuss it with them, and see what options they have in terms of IVs. How long will he need to be on IVs? This might play a role in your decisions, based on the options available.

You might want to post in the "doctors' section looking for a doctor who deals with Celiac/food issues in a specific area.

Has your dad been tested for Celiac?

Best of luck to you and your dad. I hope that he finds some answers and his health improves. Let us know what we can do to help.

#5 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

No need to repost (duplicates are marked for deletion by moderators).

Yes, just reply to this post to "refresh" it.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: