This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Marathon Running, Training, Gluten-free

MarathonGirl

MarathonGirl Newbie

I am currently training for my fourth marathon. I ran the Chicago Marathon in Oct 2005 and 2006, and the Lewis & Clark Marathon in Sep 2006, where I finished second in my age group. I also just got the diagnosis of Celiac Disease. I am so happy to finally find out why I have been making an average of 8 pit stops a day! I have been having a lot of trouble with dehydration on my long runs when I had to make so many pit stops. Also, I had a lot of trouble with chafing and chapping. :( Are there others out there who have trained for and run in marathons post-diagnosis of Celiac? Is Gatorade gluten-free? What about gels? My next marathon is the St. Louis marathon in April, so I have to get busy and educate myself fast!

Also, does anyone have any advice about "leakage" and bleeding during long training runs? I am hoping that now that my gastroenterologist put me on antibiotics for the small bowel infection and that I am living gluten- free that the symptoms will subside. My diagnosis has been a long time in coming; about 5 years since the symptoms first began. How long does it take for symptoms to subside?

I am looking for advice from those who have "been there and done that".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

super-sally888 Contributor

Hi,

I just finished my first Ironman race. I only managed to get the tummy stuff under control half way through the training.... cause my team mates told me if I don't work out why I was "sh####ing" all the time, I would be in big trouble. Though I couldn't get testing done, the symptoms did mostly resolve with gluten free diet - so I guess I got my answer.

The IM weekend before last was the first time I have ever raced without having toilet troubles...

The best and only advice I can give, is "Stick with the Diet". If you do that, then there is nothing else special you need to do - other than good quality training...

Gatorade and most gels are gluten free. Just check the packet ingredients. Most bars are not gluten free. I think cliff has a couple that are ok. there are some other threads in this topic about that... go take a look.

Never had the "leakage" "bleeding" issues. Ugh!!! Sounds terrible. .. I only ever had the run for the nearest toilet at top speed with desperately clenched butt cheeks issue. Hope that works out / improves for you with the diet....

I want to join a marathon next.... :)

Sally

• 3 weeks later...
dally099 Contributor

hi everyone, i have a question, ive never done a marathon, i run for fitness and because after 4 kids i like to be lean, but since xmas ive been sick and had major weight loss, i was only 109lbs (5ft4) to start but my weight dropped to 97lbs by the end of jan, (one of the reasons we are looking into celiacs, so many others too!) i know am up to 102lbs again have a rule that when i drop back down under 100lbs i dont run, but know that spring is here i want to get off the treadmill and back outside, i currently run for 35min (7km's) at least 3-4 times a week, once i get back outside i love to run xcountry long distance (about 10-14km's) couple times a week, so long story short, what the heck do u guys eat to keep the weight on. i find that most of the gluten-free food is rice based and very low in calories and fat. im not a fan of supplements i prefer healthy diet and allways have used that in the past, however im pretty sure that i also have a soy allergy as well so thats out.

what could you suggest to help keep the weight on, im lifting weights again so at least i have some more muscle on me(not to much though again i like to be lean not bulky) and i find that my energy levels can really be up down and that some days my legs just dont want to cooperate. any ideas on this? thanks so much im very fustrated, because some weeks my weight drops and i just feel like crap and i miss my runs im sure you can understand.

thanks so much

celiacheather Newbie

I am an avid runner and just ran a half-marathon last weekend!

You really shouldn't have too much trouble getting calories eating a gluten free diet. Meat is gluten free! So is dairy! So is a good old fashioned baked potato with sour cream and butter!

My typical eats when training are:

Breakfasts: buckwheat prepared with whole milk; non-homogenized full-fat organic yogurt w/ raspberries & walnuts; lara bar & a big organic apple; 2 pieces gluten free bread (I make the Gluten Free Pantry sandwich bread mix) with organic almond butter; Glutino Bagel w/ almond butter; eggs (but only if I'm not running for a few hours) etc.

Snacks: raw almonds/raisins/walnuts/dried cranberries; lara bars (delicious and healthy!); half slice of gluten free bread; lattes and cappuccinos; nut thins; banana muffins (made with Pamela's Baking mix)

Lunches & Dinners: Tinkyada or Bionaturae pasta w/ regular pasta sauce; beef roast w/ potatoes/carrots/etc., Pacific brand organic tomato or red pepper or corn soups w/ sauteed chicken added; baked salmon prepared however! with Seeds of Change brand quinoa; Steak marinated in amaretto w/ mashed potatoes or white rice; chicken stir fry (make sure you buy gluten free soy sauce); and the list goes on!

dally099 Contributor

hi there, so ive started running outside again last night oh was it nice im sooooo tired of running on an eliptical runner inside so i ate after like i allways have had a plate of leftovers and a nanaimo bar, i have never had a problem keeping my nutrition good and running my concern is just that the food for celiacs is so low in fat and calories, but i seem good with dairy so im trying to eat more of that, thanks for the ideas, i will deffinitly give those a go, talked with a dietician and she was helpful as well,

• 3 weeks later...
MarathonGirl Newbie

It is nice to hear from you all. Thanks for the responses. Since I first began this topic, I have kept up my training. It is WONDERFUL to be able to run a long distance without the many pit stops! In fact, I don't know how I could even stand it before! The St. Louis marathon is this coming Sunday, and I am really psyched up. I hope the weather improves :rolleyes:

In any case, I have been enjoying the Bobs Red Mill gluten-free hot cereal, and the Mesa Sunrise flax, corn, and amaranth cold cereal for breakfast. I have been having sardines on rice crackers for lunch, with raw cashews, and other unsalted nuts. Nuts are really satisfying. I like to bring a bag of dried fruit with me so if I get really hungry I can snack on something gluten-free. For dinner I have made a lot of potato and rice dishes with whatever fish, meat, or chicken I am making for the rest of the family. I invested in a rice steamer which makes it really easy to throw brown rice and water in, start it up, and leave for half an hour while it all cooks perfectly. I always make extra so I can do a stir-fry with it later. It has been nice to have Passover, since there are some really excellent Kosher macaroons in the store. I have been nibbling on those when I get really hungry. For the Easter gathering at my family, we made meringue cookies; delicious and I could eat them. I also made a quinoa casserole ( I just made up the recipe) and it was so good even the non-celiacs in the family asked for the recipe. I may post it in the recipe forum.

I have also noticed that now that I have been gluten-free for a month, an old hamstring injury that has bothered me since I ran the Chicago marathon in October seems to finally be healing. I think it is because my nutrition is better, and I am absorbing the nutrients better.

dally099 Contributor
It is nice to hear from you all. Thanks for the responses. Since I first began this topic, I have kept up my training. It is WONDERFUL to be able to run a long distance without the many pit stops! In fact, I don't know how I could even stand it before! The St. Louis marathon is this coming Sunday, and I am really psyched up. I hope the weather improves :rolleyes:

In any case, I have been enjoying the Bobs Red Mill gluten-free hot cereal, and the Mesa Sunrise flax, corn, and amaranth cold cereal for breakfast. I have been having sardines on rice crackers for lunch, with raw cashews, and other unsalted nuts. Nuts are really satisfying. I like to bring a bag of dried fruit with me so if I get really hungry I can snack on something gluten-free. For dinner I have made a lot of potato and rice dishes with whatever fish, meat, or chicken I am making for the rest of the family. I invested in a rice steamer which makes it really easy to throw brown rice and water in, start it up, and leave for half an hour while it all cooks perfectly. I always make extra so I can do a stir-fry with it later. It has been nice to have Passover, since there are some really excellent Kosher macaroons in the store. I have been nibbling on those when I get really hungry. For the Easter gathering at my family, we made meringue cookies; delicious and I could eat them. I also made a quinoa casserole ( I just made up the recipe) and it was so good even the non-celiacs in the family asked for the recipe. I may post it in the recipe forum.

I have also noticed that now that I have been gluten-free for a month, an old hamstring injury that has bothered me since I ran the Chicago marathon in October seems to finally be healing. I think it is because my nutrition is better, and I am absorbing the nutrients better.

its funny you mention your hamstring, my knees were allways achy and i thought it was from running, but since i have been gluten-free that has stopped. i notice when i eat wrong that my left knee starts to ache and bother me something fierce. never figured it out till now. good luck w/ your marathon. i run for fun, fitness, and stress relief, and im my own worst compition, so i know how important it is to keep up with activity.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
bigapplekathleen Contributor

Hey guys !

There's a really fabulous book called THE PALEO DIET FOR ATHLETES that might have a lot of ideas for those times of heavy training. I am thinking about doing a triathlon...something that was on my mind long ago before I got really sick. Now that I have been gluten-free for 3.5 years, it's time to get back into it. Right now, i am doing some heavy climbing and hiking!

Best wishes,

Kat

dally099 Contributor
Hey guys !

There's a really fabulous book called THE PALEO DIET FOR ATHLETES that might have a lot of ideas for those times of heavy training. I am thinking about doing a triathlon...something that was on my mind long ago before I got really sick. Now that I have been gluten-free for 3.5 years, it's time to get back into it. Right now, i am doing some heavy climbing and hiking!

Best wishes,

Kat

so im thinking that i want to do the great canadian death race in grande cashe next summer, i need to train for a year as im a long distance runner but this is done in the mountains and terrain that im not used to running on, not to mention im pretty skinny and need to gain some more weight. but since i started the diet i have deffinately noticed that my knees arent sore any more. im still using my eliptical runner though i set it to really hard and im finding it really helps for getting my legs in shape.

Pacer Rookie

Wow - i cannot believe this --- all these endurance athletes with celiac. Hi!!! For so many years my husband though he was the only one . He was DX'd in 1999 but I only started using these forums recently since our son was DX'd early April.

ANyway - just saying hello. I am actually not a celiac but I am a celiac caregiver. Believe me if I could trade myself for my son, I'd take the celiac any day. Anyway what i do have in common with some of you is that I am a multi marathoner (I have done about 20 of them) and triathlete (all distances including Ironman).

My husband has also done quite a few marathones. He did run faster before he was DX'd. I guess being 125 lbs at 6'2" might have had somethign to do with his running economy. Back then he was clocking about 3:18 for a marathon, now he's 150 + lbs and he lands somewhere in the 3:30's without much training.

One product both my husband and I use for training is Hammer Gel/Perpetuem. I am not positive that it does all the fabulous things they claim it does. it is the only gel product that is suitable for diabetics. It has no simple sugar. But anyway, it certainly is convenient and fairly priced and GLUTEN FREE. It has worked out OK for both of us.

Hammer is also making some food bars now too.

Big Apple Kathleen are you in NYC? I could recommend some decent races and training facilities for a first tri. Let me know if you need any help with that.

MarathonGirl, did you have your race yet? I hope the symptoms have lessened. I believe most Gels and gatorade is gluten-free but you need to check every flavor individually.

HEIDI

zkat Apprentice
Hey guys !

Best wishes,

Kat

I love this book! I read it before being gluten-free and felt the best I ever had, so I stuck to it for a long time. If you can tolerate Soy, then Pacific labs makes a recovery drink that is 4:1 ratio called endurox. I am extremely allergic to soy, so I had to stop drinking it. I miss it a lot.

• 2 months later...
LILarry Newbie

Thank you to all of you. My 18 year old athlete son was recently diagnosed with celiac and the sports training and diet information that you folks have shared on this message board is not only helpful but also inspirational. I will order the Paleo Diet for Athletes today.

In time I hope that we can contribute some ideas back.

Larry

zkat Apprentice
Thank you to all of you. My 18 year old athlete son was recently diagnosed with celiac and the sports training and diet information that you folks have shared on this message board is not only helpful but also inspirational. I will order the Paleo Diet for Athletes today.

In time I hope that we can contribute some ideas back.

Larry

Larry,

What sports does your son play? I run, play soccer and lift weights myself. I have recently discovered Hammer Nutrition supplements. They have an electrolyte drink-Heed, which is very light and not overwhelming. The recovery drink is Recoverite and I like it also. They also have a gel, that I haven't had a need for yet. (too much rain, our games keep getting rained out).

I discovered that once I went gluten free, my performance improved in all areas, especially in the area of injuries. I was plagued for two years with running injuries-shin splints, strained muscles, etc. and I have been gluten-free since Jan. and have not had problems with inflamtion type injuries since.

kat.

Archived