This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cycling Season Is Starting Up...

mkh

mkh Rookie

I've just started training again for the upcoming cycling season and although I've been racing for 2 years, this is the first season of racing that I've had to do gluten-free. So far it's been very frustrating because I notice that I bonk 20 minutes into every ride I start, and am wondering if anyone has tried to make their own energy bars? Because I really can't get myself to eat the fruit/nut bars and gels generally don't keep me going for very long. Any suggestions?

-mia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Heather22 Rookie

Hi Mia,

I don't know if I can help you much, as I don't eat solids when exercising. But, I do make protein bars from time to time.

I never really measure, but found the combination of the following tastes the best:

- peanut butter

- honey

- whey protein powder (chocolate)

- rice crisp cereal/quinoa flakes

-ground flaxseed

- raisins/dried cranberries

- nuts/seeds, etc.

- carob chips

What I do is melt the nut butter and add honey. Thoroughly mix in the protein powder. Add bulking food (gluten-free rice krispies). Then add what ever combination of nuts/seeds/dried fruit/carob chips.....

Mold into pan and refridgerate. Cut into squares and wrap in plastic. Store in fridge.

Because of my other sensitivities, I stopped eating these, but my husband (who doesn't have Celiac) loves them.

There are also some good gluten-free protein bars out there (Elev8me bars or Organic Food Bars). However if you are looking for primarly carbohydrates....I'm not sure where to point you (sorry)....you could try experimenting with rice krispies and with a combination of honey/energy gel for "sticking" it together (kind of like rice krispie & marshmallow squares)

Best wishes and train hard,

Heather : )

CarlaB Enthusiast
you could try experimenting with rice krispies

Just be sure they're gluten-free rice cereal, Rice Krispies are not gluten-free.

Heather22 Rookie

Thanks Carla. : )

To correct, I use Nature's Path Organic Crispy Rice cereal, which is gluten free (as opposed to Kelloggs).

: )

CarlaB Enthusiast
Thanks Carla. : )

To correct, I use Nature's Path Organic Crispy Rice cereal, which is gluten free (as opposed to Kelloggs).

: )

I was certain that was what you meant ;)

• 4 weeks later...
bicicleta Newbie

This reply is a little late but...

I've been racing as a Celiac for the last three years and I've found that for solid foods as well as energy drinks Hammer Nutrition offers the best products. They have all the carbs and protiens you need to keep going on long rides, rides of intensity and races. They have decent energy drinks that can be sweetened with their gels and they have some energy bars that are pretty tasty.

I use Sustained Energy with a decent serving of raspberry gel to give it some flavor. With a decent breakfast prior to my ride (a couple of gluten-free waffles and a couple eggs) I can go for close to three hours at intensity. Anything longer than that and I have to grab for a bar.

This is by far the best thing I've found that works for me so I thought I would share. Not sure if the same thing will work for you but I know you can buy single serving packets to give their products a try. I bet if you called them and mentioned your problem they might even send you some things for free to give them a try.

I know another guy who is a Celiac racer and he keeps a sandwich with peanut butter and bacon on it. Sounds nasty but it works for him. I know he uses some sort of energy drink as well but I'm not sure which. Might be that Glukos drink... which I think is nasty but he likes it.

Hope some of that helps!

super-sally888 Contributor

Hi,

I try to eat a lot before I start - bananas and peanut butter are good for me (actually I eat bananas & plantains as a key carb source now that I don't eat any grains).... nuts, hardboiled eggs.

I use crank e-gel. That stuff is fabulous for energy boosts (I did a whole IM last Feb just using e-gel and a few squares of chocolate nougat, oh... and a packet of potato chips). Mind you, I was super slow...

There are plenty of natural foods to eat, just one has to get one's mind around it. (I like peanut and other nut butters that comes in little sachets... I treat them the same way I would treat a gel).

Experiment with what's available... may take a little patience, but you can do it..

Hoping to have a long ride this Easter weekend...

Take Care and enjoy your rides...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

Just thought I'd mention-Perpetuem is a drink/supplement type mix-my husband who is a cyclist just got some today and right on the back it says "contains no wheat or gluten". (Perpetuem, I think, is also a Hammer product). It's supposed to be good stuff. You get a better deal by buying the larger container vs. single serving, but you can try single serving first and see if you like it before shelling out more money.

• 8 months later...
otb4evr Newbie
I've just started training again for the upcoming cycling season and although I've been racing for 2 years, this is the first season of racing that I've had to do gluten-free. So far it's been very frustrating because I notice that I bonk 20 minutes into every ride I start, and am wondering if anyone has tried to make their own energy bars? Because I really can't get myself to eat the fruit/nut bars and gels generally don't keep me going for very long. Any suggestions?

-mia

Mia,

Sorry I found this so late...

I am a celiac, an active bicycle racer (Cat 3) and a bicycle coach.

I can see no reason why you would "bonk" after 20 minutes of training. Perhaps we are looking at the term "bonk" differently?

I typically find issues after the 2 hour range, as I only used to have a carb drink.

Some cycling specific advice:

1. Don't start the workouts too hard. Get a good warm up, as well as a good cool down.

2. Don't push the pedals hard every time you get on the bike. You build because of your recovery, not because you are constantly pushing.

3. The majority of time that you are on the bike should be done in zone 2 - 3. You should be well below the point where you feel you are pushing hard.

Being a celiac does not preclude one from being an exceptional endurance athlete. It just takes a bit more planning. My coach is also a celiac, but one that won a National Championship this year and recently placed 2nd at Master's Worlds in Syndey...

Good Luck!

Jim

• 5 weeks later...
GinaO Rookie
Mia,

Sorry I found this so late...

I am a celiac, an active bicycle racer (Cat 3) and a bicycle coach.

I can see no reason why you would "bonk" after 20 minutes of training. Perhaps we are looking at the term "bonk" differently?

I typically find issues after the 2 hour range, as I only used to have a carb drink.

Some cycling specific advice:

1. Don't start the workouts too hard. Get a good warm up, as well as a good cool down.

2. Don't push the pedals hard every time you get on the bike. You build because of your recovery, not because you are constantly pushing.

3. The majority of time that you are on the bike should be done in zone 2 - 3. You should be well below the point where you feel you are pushing hard.

Being a celiac does not preclude one from being an exceptional endurance athlete. It just takes a bit more planning. My coach is also a celiac, but one that won a National Championship this year and recently placed 2nd at Master's Worlds in Syndey...

Good Luck!

Jim

I saw this a little late as well...but...a new athlete....I have found that Hammer Products are by far the best!! The gels, the supplements and the Recoverite is wonderful...they are very helpful and have assured me time and time again all their products are gluten-free. I know several people who use them consistently with great results in any event they are doing from Tri's/Du's to IM's. Great Stuff!!!

Oh yeah..stay hydrated!

GinaO

Archived