10 replies to this topic

#1 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

Can anyone identify some brands of gluten-free aspirin for me?

Thanks,
Deb
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:04 PM

well, some Advils are gluten-free as are some Tylenols. I think I use the extra strength caplets from Tylenol

#3 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

Thanks celiac3270. I will still be looking for other brands of gluten-free aspirin as Advil and Tylenol are both aspirin free. Your mom probably doesn't give you aspirin as yet because kids under 16 can get deathly ill or it leaves them brain damaged if they use aspirin and have a certain virus. It's called Reye's Syndrome.
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#4 lilliexx

lilliexx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:18 PM

wow i did not know that about the aspirin!! I remember taking it as a young child, becuz my grandma would crush it with a spoon and add sugar but you could still taste the aspirin :o i have givin it to my young son as well!! I guess i wont anymore!!!!!

anyway...since becoming gluten free i have also switched to advil, so i'm of no help iether...sorry.
Gluten free since July 2004

I have made it one year and feel much much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:07 AM

Lili; Reyes syndrome is serious. Do not give children aspirin. Go to Mayo Clinic website or Web Md and look Reyes up and it'll probably tell you the full story as to what happens if child has a certain virus (and you probably wouldn't know if the child has that virus or not, so why take the chance) and has aspirin. I know a woman whose child died on her when she gave him aspirin. He was about 15 years old.
Now has lymphadema 2006

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:06 AM

Anyone have any other suggestions for me?
Now has lymphadema 2006

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:18 AM

I'm afraid I don't take aspirin, just NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxyn sodium. Have you checked the www.glutenfreedrugs.com site. (I think that's the url, but am not positive...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

gold line baby asprine is gluten-free or some name like that call stokes pharmacy if you have a question about the name the phone number is 1-800-754-5222
Molly

#9 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:23 AM

The gluten-free drug site states that Bufferin is gluten-free EXCEPT for the 325 mg size.
I wanted to know if Bayer is gluten-free. I'll have to go to grocery store & get their toll free # before I purchase it.
Now has lymphadema 2006

#10 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:09 PM

hi deb--i know i take excedrin, plus excedrin migraine--i have a phone # for bufferin 800-468-7746---i do know that clanthompson.com has a very extensive listing of drugs that are gluten-free---i didnt take aspirin for years because it caused stomach upset for me--i do know that excedrin works very well for me, but if i need it at night i have to take their pm product--reg excedrin keeps me wired--hope i helped a little--deb :D
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#11 sweetie101282

sweetie101282

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:20 AM

Hi everyone~
This topic came up at our Celiac support meeting this month and someone mentioned that Members Mark asprin (sams club brand) is gluten free. She said she called the company and they were certain they were gluten-free. You should probably make this phone call for yourself, but this may be an option.
Diagnosed by biopsy and Gluten-Free since March 2003. I have the noisiest stomach known to man. Seriously, how do I turn off this crazy thing??? Sounds like I've got an alien in there...

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

For the ultimate donuts, visit www.celiacspecialties.com. I wouldn't lie to you, I swear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: