50 replies to this topic

#16 Creative_Soul

Creative_Soul

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

The CeliacChicks site is up again - http://www.celiacchicks.com ...
The article is the first thing on the home page (dated March 8th). It appears that there are still some issues - the pictures didn't come up as they did before - but the text is there...
Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant
Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

That makes so much sense. For anyone who wasn't able to pull it up, Elizabeth was self-diagnosed and she didn't feel it was responsible to say she has a disease when she wasn't sure she even had it. She later did a gene test that confirmed celiac.

If I were in the public eye, I'd probably do the same thing.

Can't wait to see this segment. Having guests will probably make things a lot more respectful.

Does anyone else think that with Rosie's anger issues, she should get some testing done?

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#18 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

If I were in the public eye, I'd probably do the same thing.
Nancy

I agree. I can't wait to hear her story--all the details. I have DirectTV, and on the schedule grid for Wednesday's View, it actually says "Celiac Disease"! Wow.

Yea, Rosie worries me sometimes :unsure:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#19 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Remember when Rosie had her own show and she always used to refer to a nervous stomach? I'd bet she has some sort of food intolerance (not necessarily gluten of course) or maybe even something like candida.
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#20 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:31 AM

Back to the View segment, I have a suggestion for us all just in case it doesn't turn out the way we'd like it to. Certainly I hope it's the best Celiac segment we've ever seen but just in case it's not, I hope we'll come here to vent our frustrations and not slam the show directly. The way to further our cause is to court those in power. After the piece, if I think they left out something important about Celiac I'll calm down, then send a thank you e-mail to Bill Gedde (producer) and suggest info they should include if they do another Celiac segment. Send Elisabeth a note too if you like but she doesn't have as much power as one might assume so please don't forget Bill, her producer. Click on The Viewmaster to e-mail him. It does make a difference when we flood them with e-mails but they have to be the right e-mails or we'll only hurt ourselves in the end.

Hopefully with both Alice Bast and Dr. Green on the show, the important parts about the disease will be touched on. Keep in mind that if anyone googles celiac this site is the first to come up usually so if Dr. Green says you have to get the biopsy for a dx (which he probably will), don't worry about that. People will come here and decide what's best for them with the help of the great people here. Together we can make a difference but we have to think about how our actions can help and hurt our cause.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#21 ENF

ENF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:23 AM

I just watched it and thought it was excellent. Dr. Green gave a very complete synopsis of Celiac Disease, and said that the genetic testing was appropriate for family members if a relative has been diagnosed. He said, "None of us digest gluten very well. We did not evolve to digest gluten." A number of issues were covered, including DH, the common issues of "IBS" misdiagnosis', etc. We're very lucky to have people like him, and Alice Bast, at the forefront of the battle to get this disease recognized on a wider scale and slated for futher research.

The whole tone of the segment was upbeat and positive, and there was a large table filled with Gluten-free products on the set, which they discussed.

I am very happy that they did such a good job today - it was very uplifting to see. Bravo!
Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

#22 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

I agree! Dr. Green doesn't have the most energetic speaking manner so for him this was a wonderful effort! He touched on many important points in a short time. Infertility will get the attn. of many I'm sure as will the term IBS since we know so many out there with that label of IBS really have Celiac. The food table looked great as well and it showed we can eat plenty of great tasting foods - they're just free of gluten. My only criticism was that Alice wasn't given time to share her personal tragic story of delivering an 8 month still birth.

Now I think we all need to e-mail the View's producer (Viewmaster on their site) and thank him for such an informative segment which shows you can live a healthy life free of gluten and not miss out on great tasting foods! Let's hope this is just the tip of the Celiac iceberg!
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#23 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

Can I just say that I LOVE DR. GREEN! :)

I would hug that man if I ever get the chance to meet him. Between him and Dr. Fasano, I truly love these guys!

Did anyone notice the part where he talked about infections and gluten........very interesting, and what I have suspected is my problem.

Bravo to Susie, Elisabeth (who, I swear, is pregnant), Alice, and Dr. Green.

(My boss let me watch in his office...how great is that!)

#24 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

Laura, How nice of your boss! :)

I thought it was very good. Dr. Green was great, as usual.

I loved it when Susie Essman sopke out about the drug companies, and when Dr. Green said that people weren't actually meant to eat wheat. :o

It was so nice to have them "speaking our language" for a little while :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#25 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

great boss Laura
hi Patti
i got in from apt at 11:45.
guess i saw it all...
good segment. agree wish Alice could have talked more...she's just as knowlegable & nice as she is beautiful.
i'm going to ck and see if they put it on her forum.
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#26 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

Article from celiacchicks:

Here Elisabeth Hasselbeck and friends listen intently to the brewmaster. I met Elisabeth later that evening and she was super nice. She told me to tell you that The View is doing an in depth segment on celiac disease this next Wednesday March 14th. Also, remember my little stunt at The View? Well, she actually did get the CeliacChicks tshirt! She explained that the reason it's taken her so long to "come out" about celiac disease, was because she was self-diagnosed and until she was able to get the gene test to confirm it, she didn't feel it was very responsible to claim she had a "disease" when she wasn't sure. That makes sense to me, especially for a public figure.

I can't wait to go home and watch The View! I set up the tape for it a week ago :)
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#27 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

Does anyone know how to post a link to today's show. I tried to find it, with no success.

MY FRIGGIN CABLE HAS BEEN OUT ALL MORNING, and it finally came back at 2:00.

I missed the show :angry:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#28 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Can I just say that I LOVE DR. GREEN! :)

OMG - speaking as a single 45-year-old woman, I can say that Dr. Green is a MAJOR HOTTIE - - spoke with him in person, he is like an older (and less volatile?) Russel Crowe - - I would TOTALLY date him... :lol:
oh yeah, he's smart, too. ha ha!

I am pleased as punch, thought it was an outstanding segment. And yes, speaking our language, indeed! ;) Loved it. Can't fault it, except to say, they might have mentioned other hidden glutens, like lipstick, cosmetics, etc. But no big deal....great exposure!
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#29 Guest_aparde_*

Guest_aparde_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

I missed it!!! Bummer! I heard it was good though. It is great that celiac disease is getting much more recognition than it has in the past!!!!

#30 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

I have to re-iterate:

I LOVE THIS MAN!

And I really love Elisabeth also---I give her a lot of credit for speaking up about this. Same with Heidi Collins. KUDOS!

SusieQ..........you never fail to entertain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: